test strips, alt place to keep 'em when out??

howie

anyone know a safe place to keep test strips other than the pot they come in? (so they still work) cling film or something? just be nice not to carry the pot on a night out, cos the rest hides away quite well.

i put a few in my wallet in a separate compartment once but the results seemed to be all over the place.

cheers guys,
howie

IanS

The pot they came in contains a meterial that keeps the test strips free from humidity. If you store them elsewhere, there is a real risk that the active material in the test strips absorbs moisture. This greatly affects their accuracy. IIRC they will over read, which can be bad news if you are relying on them to warn of the onset of a hypo.

IanS

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The whole, very neat, wallet that my Freestyle Lite, kit comes in, Has a strap which will slide over a belt and in any way is tiny. Not s lot bigger than a phone.
My handbag isn't big enough for it, becaue It's a tiny handbag.
How about using an empty canister and putting just a few strips into it. then It can easily go into a pocket.
I don't carry my meter, because I don't need to, but I always carry sweeteners and glucotabs.
Hana

howie

cheers guys, i just find the test strip boxes a bit big in my pocket, it's ok if i have a bag or coat, but with the fashion of skinny jeans having a box of strips in you pocket looks weird.

if i'm in a club or something i don't really like leaving my stuff in a cloak room or a jumper pocket were anyone can get to em.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Fix it to your belt?
Hana

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
hanadr said:
Fix it to your belt?
Hana

funky!! :lol:

Howie, not sure there is an easy answer to this one, other than a man bag?! Us girls have it easy with all the gear we tend to carry on a day/night out, I tend to carry it all loose in my particular choice of handbag on that day/evening but agree re: the skinny jeans pocket thing :p

iHs

Just had a thought about this problem when out.

You could try putting a few of yr strips in a very small seal type plastic bag with the lid off the top of a used container to act as the silica gel.

Another thought is to get an Optium Xceed meter from Abbott as that uses test strips that come in little individual foil wrap so no need to worry about keeping them in a container.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
wallycorker said:
It might be worth getting a wife - then she can carry them for you! :lol:

Anonymous

Oh really, John !!!!!(groan) :shock: :shock:

jameshallam

My girlfriend has really small handbags that I can't fit my gear into. So at the moment I carry a man bag - although I'm planning on getting her a handbag for Christmas, then she can carry it all! :D

frenchkittie

A plastic Tic-Tac container?

Slim and discrete enough for the tightest pocket.

I was planning on using one as a DASRI for my used needles/tests strips etc when out and about, but it could work just as well for storing a few unused ones.

howie

thanks for the replies guys, thing is i need to look good in my jeans to get a wife/g-friend as i recently became single :(

foil strips sound good + so does tic tac box, rekon they wont get to moist etc in one night? maybe i could fit an old lid like suggested into one.

wallycorker

jameshallam said:
.........So at the moment I carry a man bag....................
Just a warning! Don't ever go for a night out around Barnsley town centre carrying a man bag!

These days, you might just get away with carrying an umbrella in day light hours. But man bag definitely not!