new eatwell plate

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What exactly is the basis for the advice re basing meals around starchy carbs? The clinical evidence I mean..
I've seen this same phrase trotted out for years, BASING the meal around starch means everything else takes second place, surely.
What or who is the source of this info? Does anybody actually know? I know all the anti's but who are the pro carbers that those in power are listening to, does anyone know?

Probably the people trying to feed the 7.5 billion, with food they can afford, and will grow in sufficient quantity in the space available? If that's in doubt, image removing rice from the foodchain.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Probably the people trying to feed the 7.5 billion, with food they can afford, and will grow in sufficient quantity in the space available? If that's in doubt, image removing rice from the foodchain.

Hmm. Not what I had in mind Expat, I'm trying to find out if it's NICE, or someone along those lines? The above does not actually connect with the advice that is being given as a guide, if you see what I'm getting at.

C

chris lowe

This is how it appeared in newspapers. Obviously sponsored by Funeral Directors as this would be the death of most of us. Should Public Health England now be renames Public Death England?
324FA3D500000578-3496574-image-a-2_1458262873807.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Not what I had in mind Expat, I'm trying to find out if it's NICE, or someone along those lines? The above does not actually connect with the advice that is being given as a guide, if you see what I'm getting at.
I think it may be based on the fact the majority of the world can eat carbs, with no issue at all. And the 'right' type of carbs seem to be more healthy than the 'poor' type.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DD, have you tried looking at the MacMillan site? Maybe asking on the forum if there is anybody else with type 1 dealing with the same issues? Or one of the MacMillan advisors maybe..I got no support from the Mac nurses at all but the forum (different type of cancer) was my lifeline. Just thinking out loud really, you've probably already thought of it. Wishing you well with your recovery from the surgery and hoping that further treatment will not be needed.

Take care x

Flat friends on facebook has like this website had such brilliant help it far outstrips any other forum or Mac info even...specifically for non reconstructions too.

I think in someways that (again like here) its nice having people that have been through experiences that helps hugely rather than medical reading and training.

Thanks... Xx

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No probs x I was thinking more specifically of dietary needs - I've had to change my diet too, and at one point had to eat total starchy muck for a while, white rice, bread, pasta - eek. But when we don't have a choice, we have to weigh up what's most important at that particular time.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For optimal health, follow the opposite of the new guidelines.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What exactly is the basis for the advice re basing meals around starchy carbs? The clinical evidence I mean..
I've seen this same phrase trotted out for years, BASING the meal around starch means everything else takes second place, surely.
What or who is the source of this info? Does anybody actually know? I know all the anti's but who are the pro carbers that those in power are listening to, does anyone know?
I feel the food industry lobby lurking in the wings. I'm sure a lot of this nonsense is influenced by them. I still have a copy of a diabetes report a few years back from the Royal Soc of Physicians which says low-carb diets should be avoided as they aren't proven to not cause harm! That implies that the current Western Hi-carb diet is proven not to be harmful so obesity, early death etc is fine then? Madness. This 1982 link provides one insight into how the low-carb diet has been demonised and the facts twisted with the usual high-fat and high-salt is bad mantra based on questionable research: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...#v=onepage&q=harry keen diabetes diet&f=false

Reactions: 5 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
It's economic. From times of yore, the cheapest way to keep the peasants full enough to toil in the fields or factories has been to grow grain based foods. Think about it, it's much cheaper to grow a field of wheat to feed a population than to grow grass to feed animals to slaughter. If it was cheaper to eat meat than carbs, the whole nation would have been low carb since forever.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Guess I'm talking about clinical evidence?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guess I'm talking about clinical evidence?
I think the evidence is staring us in the face. It is not easy to make our bodies work in ketogenic mode. We have to almost eliminate carbs and protein from our diet because our bodies have an inbuilt preference for the glucose route via Citric Cycle, and fat burning is a last resort protection mechanism.

We are adapted to all three mechanisms being able to support life, but our brains need pure glycogen, and our body has to work hard to produce it when in ketogenic mode by synthesising it from proteins if carb is missing.

Brilliant design of a closed loop control system -Its like having a multifuel boiler that runs on gas (most efficient and economic), oil, electric (most expensive) or wood burning (needs logs stored and ash disposal, so a faff),

Normal (non-diabetics) can use carbs (but tend to overdose in modern life) and it is not normally a problem, For us diabetics, our main regulating system (insulin) has developed a fault, so our control goes wonky. We can use LC diet as a work around to restore some semblance of control, but this requires significant alterations to our diet. Its a bit like the adaptations made to transport during the World Wars with gas bags on the roof of buses etc

LC diets work for us, and we are right to champion them and decry the Eatwell advice, but that is our choice and not a new religion. I use LCHF because it makes sense to me and ticks most of my boxes, but I try not to be a zealot for the cause. I will query aspects of it and debate its merits, but I try not to say it is the answer to a maiden's prayer.

Reactions: 2 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
No cans of cola any more.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to be published by Gov.uk, and appears to be put together by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). It is controlled by FSA England, FSA Wales and FSA Northern Ireland. There does not appear to be a FSA Scotland. The authors appear to be
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN)
https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-committee-on-nutrition

Edit: the actual report is here, but may be copyright protected. Do not copy the pdf file itself.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...7871/A_quick_guide_to_govt_healthy_eating.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Amazes me that even the Daily Mail has caught on to lowering carbs....article in it today and was quite good...besides 4 pieces of rye bread. Can't remember if that was for 1 person or 2.. But too much...

Article was again by an endo/diabetic consultant. ... Seems like nobody else is listening...

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As always Zoe Harcombe cuts through the dross and does a stunning analysis : http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/03/eatwell-guide/
Her 3 main points (with explanations in the link above) :
1) The plate/guide is not evidence based
2) The plate/guide does not understand the difference between volume/weight and calorie intake
3) The plate/guide is another missed opportunity
Her insightful summary :
Yet again, we didn’t need the committee. We didn’t need all these documents and diagrams and press releases and orange borders and such like. We just needed a three word message to come from Public Health Bodies:
EAT REAL FOOD!
Another three word message therefore comes to mind:
HEAD/BANG/WALL!

Her next blog gives a further insight into why we have the new plate in this form....
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/03/eatwell-guide-conflicts-of-interest/

Final summary:
The bottom line:
The terms of reference tell us that “Public Health England established this external reference group to provide advice on aspects of the eatwell plate.” Public Health England presumably appointed the chair from the same stable as itself (AFN). Public Health England presumably appointed the other reference group members from the fake food industry. Why? Why have one such member? Let alone stack the majority of the group with the who’s who of the fake food industry? How the heck are we supposed to take Public Health England seriously with this kind of behaviour?

What on earth chance did EAT REAL FOOD! have with that External Reference Group?!

Here is just one of the panel members:
Kate Halliwell, FDF – Food & Drink Federation.

Members are again pretty much the who’s who of the fake food industry: AB sugar; Association of British foods; Allied Bakeries; Alpro SOYA; Batchelors (premier foods); Border Biscuits; British STARCH industry; British oat and barley millers’ association; British sugar; Britvic; Burton’s Biscuit company – that’s just some of the companies under A and B. You can work through C to Z if you like! I highlighted SOYA and STARCH, as they will be especially thrilled with the new plate.

Its truly incredible... you really couldn't make this up!!

Reactions: 7 people