I do not have diabetes
probably. try a few and test

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are Oven Chips just as bad as chip shop chips?

In terms of carbs, probably, depending on age of potatoes at freezing.
The coating they use, can't be good for you really!

There are alternatives, have a read around the low carb forum.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best bet is to make your own. Chip up your potato, put a little olive oil into a sandwich bag, put the chipped potato into the bag and rub all over from the outside of the bag to cover the chips. Take the chips out of the bag without the excess oil and cook at about 220 degrees for just over 10 minutes, tossing occasionally so they don't stick. If they do dry out a little, a couple of quirts of Fry-lite should do the trick.You can add spices or black pepper to flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the oven chip fad started as an attempt to sell chips to the low fat advocates. More worried about what they were fried or baked in. Whichever you choose a potato is still a potato and the only way to find out what it does to you is to test.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are Oven Chips just as bad as chip shop chips?

As the others have suggested, the reading on your meter will answer that question for you. If you don't have a meter, I suggest you seriously consider getting one.

I am now able to eat quite a lot of formerly "troublesome" stuff, now I have trimmed up and got my HbA1c down. It seems my body copes better with carbohydrate foods now.

When we have frozen chips, we prefer McCain Home Chips - The Chunky Cut variety. That's more because we prefer them than anything else though.

Good luck!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of carbs, probably, depending on age of potatoes at freezing.
The coating they use, can't be good for you really!

There are alternatives, have a read around the low carb forum.

Sunflower oil?
'Home' chips are battered though, so some other stuff on them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Fried or oven cooked 100 grams of potato chips will have about 35g of carbohydrates. And a bucket load of calories.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sunflower oil?
'Home' chips are battered though, so some other stuff on them.

Two things,

Potatoes are bad for blood glucose levels for T2s and other blood glucose disorders.
Secondly, sunflower oil and preservatives are not a mix I would not put into my diet.

Plus, if I was to fry anything, I wouldn't use any type of batter or use vegetable oils at all.
Only animal fats are good for my future health.
I've learned this the hard way!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two things,

Potatoes are bad for blood glucose levels for T2s and other blood glucose disorders.
Secondly, sunflower oil and preservatives are not a mix I would not put into my diet.

Plus, if I was to fry anything, I wouldn't use any type of batter or use vegetable oils at all.
Only animal fats are good for my future health.
I've learned this the hard way!

Just saying, the only thing coating normal oven chips is oil, so no worry about mixing it with anything, and as I avoid saturated fats were I can, I can't see any issue, although there may be slightly better oils than sunflower, but there are certainly worse.
But then, I also eat sunflower seeds.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a recently diagnosed coeliac, it was pointed out to me that oven chips may also have a coating of flour which helps prevent them burning.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dancer I suppose that is like packets of pre packed grated cheese. I believe they have flour in too

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now, that I didn't know. Thanks for that!
Grated cheese is normally potato starch, and it's listed in the ingredients.
Oven chips, some varieties have flour coatings, ie the battered ones, again it's listed in the ingredients.
Most are just potato and sunflower oil coated.