Approved Photographic Documentary about Sugar

JosephFox

Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you are all well,

My name is Joseph Fox, I’m a documentary photographer based in London. My work has covered everything from South African prisons and weather stories, to food and editorial portraiture, and has been featured in The Sunday Times, Guardian and Independent magazine supplements.

I wanted to reach out to you all and ask if you might be able to help me in making my latest photographic essay which focuses on the sugar industry and our consumption of sugar within the UK.

The Pitch:

Last week, Cancer Research UK and the UK Health Forum urged action to reduce the sugar intake of children and teenagers after its study found that not only could 700,000 new cases of cancer be linked to obesity and excess weight over the next 20 years, but so could millions of cases of type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke. A third of children aged 10 to 11 are already above a healthy weight and once that happens, it often continues into adulthood, as the public health statistics grimly demonstrate.

It is facts like these and others that have inspired me to begin to document the UK's relationship with sugar – exploring themes of consumerism, physical and mental health, the history of sugar and how it has become an important part of our food culture.

My aim is to meet and photograph people who are affected by the consumption of sugar, who might have developed health problems or work on the front-line of healthcare. I want to also show the other side of the coin: how sugar can be fun, a treat, something we should celebrate.

I am fully aware that this is a sensitive topic and in no way do I want to demonise people who have been affected by the subjects mentioned. My aim is to start a debate about our attitudes to sugar and how we can navigate this crisis without losing something that brings so much joy and has played a big part in all of our lives.

I’m also aware that, although sugar and obesity are strongly linked, it isn’t the sole cause – the onset of illnesses such as diabetes or strokes are highly complex.

How can you help?

Perhaps you or someone you know would want to be a part of this project? Maybe you have some information that might help me understand the subject more, for example, hidden sugars are a big topic at the moment, maybe you have information about products that you've used that have a surprising amount of sugar in them?

My ultimate aim would be to have a balanced photographic essay that sums up our relationship sugar, with portraits of people who've seen the negative side to it, balanced with people enjoying it. I'd hope to then get these images published, which I hope will bring the sugar debate into national consciousness.

I look forward to your reply,

Many Thanks,
Joseph

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why are you tackling just sugar? You would be better tackling carbohydrates as a whole. Just using sugar is not the answer as to why people are diabetic. You will find lots of us who never ate the sweets but still got diabetes.

Reactions: Lauramooijekind

JosephFox

Hi Kyi,

I understand that but my project focuses on problems that have been caused primarily by sugar. I think from my perspective that high sugar diets are sold a lot harder to people than just high carb products. Coca-Cola sponsored the world cup two years ago.. I think that says a lot.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you should have a picture of a diabetic treating a hypo with Coke/Jelly babies - shows that it's actually a life saver sometimes!

I hate being photographed though so won't be volunteering sorry :)

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kyi,

I understand that but my project focuses on problems that have been caused primarily by sugar. I think from my perspective that high sugar diets are sold a lot harder to people than just high carb products. Coca-Cola sponsored the world cup two years ago.. I think that says a lot.
You are compounding the problem if you solo concentrate on sugars. Its not just sugars that are the problem. Like BeccyB said if you are in a hypo you do actually need sugars. Its all about moderation. Most of the media is concentrating on sugar when in fact its the high carbohydrates that are the problems. Potatoes turn into sugar, How many days per week do most people eat potatoes, pasta, bread. All of which can make you diabetic. Keep promoting the sugar problems and the diabetes epidemic will continue to rise. What will they say when all the sugar goes away and still diabetes continues? If everyone assumes its sugar its not solving the problem.Coke have actually reduced their amount of sugars steadily over the past 5 years. They changed their recipes and are continually changing the variety. Maybe you should concentrate on that since you seem to know so much about diabetic problems.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Actually I think you need to concentrate on one form of sugar: Fructose.

Unregulated by the body
Raises BP
Raises Cholesterol (trigs)
Causes fat storage
Fills liver and pancreas with fat triggering insulin resistance
Requires vitamin D to process it which most of us lack.

By the way sugar = 50% fructose

As the rest of the media is focussing on sugar why not target something else instead of becoming a hidden voice in a chorus.