After my first day at LCHF my readings are 10.3

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Good stuff Beryl. The rise in the morning is called dawn phenomenon, and happens to most of us. My suggestion would be to forget the fasting bg, and concentrate on two hours after meals. Personally, I would check after lunch and dinner, rather than breakfast - but that's just me:D

Thanks Ladybird. Just about to have lunch now. Brie, ham, baby tomatoes, lettuce and a drizzle of some wonderful extra virgin olive oil. Followed by the remaining rasps etc from snack. Weighed myself this morning and lost a tiny bit more weight

Reactions: 5 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
well got to start somewhere - just done BG and 19.9 - not feeling good - so lunch steak and salad - cheese soufflé with more salad - did not take insulin thought carbs free meal - maybe fooling myself - need ot get into habit of being sure there is no carbs - looking forward to getting better control - ekundayo
I would not skip with insulin until you blood sugar readings are starting show sign of coming down with the diet.....or you could take little amount just before eating your low carb meal...test your blood sugars hour after and if it still too high...give yourself another little adjusting injection. Eventually when you blood levels start responding to your diet..you can then drop off from those adjusting injection...and hopefully even more!
Getting rid of need of insulin injections you need to do it safely and it involved lot of blood testing and small little adjustments here and there.

kakoullou2013

Trying to cut down carbsto under 120 grams per day by eating lots of nuts like

walnuts
brazil nuts
almond
peanut butter on celery

Try these instead of other snacks and your BG will start to drop g gradually drop

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Darn, I knew there was something else I should have bought today - completely forgot about nuts!
My BG was very high, I thought - when I ate grapes... mind you I did eat a lot of grapes. Went up to 14.2 that time. My software that I got (for the CodeFree Meter which I use) says that 11.1 is Hyper. Not sure what that means except it's best not to do that. Can't test anymore until my new lot of strips arrives - seems to be taking such an age to arrive, but that'll be with the Easter break in there.
Beryl, that high reading in the morning is the liver dumping a load of sugar into the blood stream so you have energy for the day ahead. Worried the heck out of me too when I first saw it.

Reactions: 2 people

Cauliflower_rice

well got to start somewhere - just done BG and 19.9 - not feeling good - so lunch steak and salad - cheese soufflé with more salad - did not take insulin thought carbs free meal - maybe fooling myself - need ot get into habit of being sure there is no carbs - looking forward to getting better control - ekundayo
I made the same mistake more than once! I have since learnt there is no food that is carb free.... 100g of lettuce has 2.9g of carbs in it (just checked on internet) Im a type 1 and even meat spikes my blood sugars after 1.5 hours so I take a little insulin after my meal in an attempt to have consistent bgs. I weigh my food and calc the carbs (theres a weighing scale I bought in asda which is programmed to state carb, protein, fat, cholesterol etc in food being weighed)... sounds like a lovely lunch and low carb.

ekundayo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bad food
I made the same mistake more than once! I have since learnt there is no food that is carb free.... 100g of lettuce has 2.9g of carbs in it (just checked on internet) Im a type 1 and even meat spikes my blood sugars after 1.5 hours so I take a little insulin after my meal in an attempt to have consistent bgs. I weigh my food and calc the carbs (theres a weighing scale I bought in asda which is programmed to state carb, protein, fat, cholesterol etc in food being weighed)... sounds like a lovely lunch and low carb.
thank you ++ for this encouragement. or should I say ridding me of my delusions re food. It's my birthday on 1st April and I intend to go shopping for two things - make up and shop using my revised food items list which includes some 80% chocolate from Lidl !. Have bought book Carbs & Calories as I neeed to get serious.

ekundayo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bad food
I would not skip with insulin until you blood sugar readings are starting show sign of coming down with the diet.....or you could take little amount just before eating your low carb meal...test your blood sugars hour after and if it still too high...give yourself another little adjusting injection. Eventually when you blood levels start responding to your diet..you can then drop off from those adjusting injection...and hopefully even more!
Getting rid of need of insulin injections you need to do it safely and it involved lot of blood testing and small little adjustments here and there.
this is very helpful indeed small steps and recording - how do you keep a record - using a record book now but would prefer software

Reactions: 3 people

Cauliflower_rice

Ya m8 same I credit people on the low low!! carb diet,I'm around the 100 to 150 a day and would find it very difficult to lower that :)
thank you ++ for this encouragement. or should I say ridding me of my delusions re food. It's my birthday on 1st April and I intend to go shopping for two things - make up and shop using my revised food items list which includes some 80% chocolate from Lidl !. Have bought book Carbs & Calories as I need to get serious.
May your birthday be lovely! I started with Carbs and Cals too! It really helped me. Then I borrowed a book from the library , by Bernstein 'Diabetes Solution' I never knew fried mushrooms had carbs in them! Its just one day at a time and celebrate each success.... I stress at numbers on my bg monitor... the load them onto the computer and appreciate that overall I scan track small improvement, keep strong and have a fab birthday

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
this is very helpful indeed small steps and recording - how do you keep a record - using a record book now but would prefer software
I keep food diary...where I record time and results of blood tests, weighing, blood pressure readings, what've eaten and when...I can mark up my carbohydrate calculations, medication taken, how I feel, what I've done that might have caused changes in my blood sugars....about anything and everything. To me writing down just numbers is not enough, they don't tell whole story and if I need to question dr/nurse about something...I won't remember it from looking at just numbers. I have to say I have particularly bad track record keeping any kind of diary in past....but now when I'm doing it so thoroughly...it has been real encouragement this time round as I can see whole picture building up on front of me. I also put down any thoughts and plans that I might results needing to tweak something in my diet/medication.
My record book is A4 size diary...plenty of room for writing and I also store in it my print outs of blood sugar numbers and graphs from meter...that's really for easy reading for a nurse as my scribbling is not easiest to follow..:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Tested my blood this morning and it was 10.8 Better than the 12 the other day. Just about to have 2 boiled eggs and a black chai tea. Then take grandson who stayed the night out for a walk.

Reactions: 4 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just checked levels again, 2 1/2 hrs after breakfast of 2 boiled eggs and it's now 11
Is that ok? Day 5 of LCHF my weight has gone down from 9.84st to 9.83st
from yesterday, another small loss :)
Off for a walk now.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
thank you ++ for this encouragement. or should I say ridding me of my delusions re food. It's my birthday on 1st April and I intend to go shopping for two things - make up and shop using my revised food items list which includes some 80% chocolate from Lidl !. Have bought book Carbs & Calories as I neeed to get serious.
Hello ekundayo,just wondering how long you had been taking insulin?
And what your doc' has said re your own bodies insulin production?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Beryl, what are you eating for dinner? You probably have dawn phenomenon but those numbers are still quite raised (although I'm sure they'll come down). Just wondering if your evening meal is having any effect..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last night I had brie and ham, followed by very few raspberries and the last of the double cream (maybe too much?).
Just been to the Italian restaurant with my grandson. I had mozzarella, tomato, avocado drizzled with olive oil. Followed by prawn, scallops and monkfish with a large portion of mixed salad leaves. It was in a sauce but I picked all the fish out. I left the potatoes. 1 hr after I was 10.3. About to go to skate park withstanding, so the walk there should be good. I might even take my bike so I can keep up with grandson on the way there.
After such a big lunch I doubt I'll have much for tea maybe just salad.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Try and test 2 hrs after, rather than 1? It will give a better idea if your numbers are coming back down.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After taking grandson to skate park I walked around and round it. When I came home and before tea it's 8.8

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's coming down Beryl, well done:). Keep up the good work!