Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Dear Libre users,

For the second time I have now been experiencing pain since I've placed a Freestyle Libre sensor on my leg. The pain occurs especially when cycling or walking on stairs.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? I'm hesitating to take the sensor off now after 4 days, but I don't have another left. So I'd rather wait until new ones arrive. Could it cause harm to my leg (even though the inserted part is really small)?

I've also used about 10 sensors before on my legs without any problems..
Best.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Libre sensors are anything like the Dexcom sensors I'm willing to bet that the sensor wire is sticking into your muscle rather than your subcutaneous fat.

I had that happen to me after trying to install my Dexcom sensor on my arm (twice). Unfortunately, I found out I didn't have enough body fat there and it felt like I was constantly being stung by a bee (plus, the sensor never worked right).

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For the second time I have now been experiencing pain since I've placed a Freestyle Libre sensor on my leg.

Don't know if your aware @Hill28 but the sensors are meant for use on the arms only.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Libre users,

For the second time I have now been experiencing pain since I've placed a Freestyle Libre sensor on my leg. The pain occurs especially when cycling or walking on stairs.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? I'm hesitating to take the sensor off now after 4 days, but I don't have another left. So I'd rather wait until new ones arrive. Could it cause harm to my leg (even though the inserted part is really small)?

I've also used about 10 sensors before on my legs without any problems..
Best.

I doubt you would come to any harm by leaving it. If I were in your shoes, and decided to leave it, I would viually check it regularly for any signs of inflamation or infection, just in case.

What a pain! (Pardon the pun.)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Thanks @TorqPenderloin @noblehead and @AndBreathe for your quick replies.

It could indeed be inserted into my muscle. I'll try to leave it for some days and not to take my bike..

I know it's meant to be on your arm, but sometimes it's convenient to have nothing on your arm. The sensor is giving the right values by the way. The Libre has to small parts on the upper end which do the measure-job (i think)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's meant to be on your arm, but sometimes it's convenient to have nothing on your arm.
The grass is always greener on the other side, lol. I had tried to insert my Dexcom sensor on my arm because sometimes it's convenient to have nothing on my stomach.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had incredible pain on my leg once, so much so I ripped it off after an hour. Must have hit a muscle? It's been fine again since.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Hill28

As far as I know the libre is for use only on the upper outer arm.
Many people use it on other areas of the body without ill effects. I have used the past 10-15 sensors on my thigh with no issues (other than the one time I mentioned above).

bhk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you please provide us a picture of where exactly on the thigh you put it? I'd like to try.