What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
B: The usual berries, greek yoghurt and milled flaxseed
L: Half an apple, stick of celery, cheddar & ryvita
D: Minced beef with cauli mash, buttered carrots & green beans

mid morning snack - handful nuts

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and a way to use up choc like that, and make it delicious, is pop a few squares in the microwave, til melted, then stir in cream and nuts (and sweetener, if you like).

Depending on your proportions, you may have a creamy, liquid desert, or you may have recreated nutty choc (if you can leave it to get cold.

Alternatively, use the 90% stuff as one of those trendy choc lumps to make hot choc.

:)

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 43917

B - spinach & avocado & flax seed smoothie; boiled eggs
L - beetroot & spinach & mushroom & tomato salad; apple & sweet apricot kernels
S - slipped up and had milk chocolate bar
D - steamed carrots & sprouts with nutritional yeast; almond milk smoothie with banana & spinach

going to be posting in veggie forum next as moving to vegetarian/vegan although I've got one can of tinned sardines left in the cupboard

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Oh, and a way to use up choc like that, and make it delicious, is pop a few squares in the microwave, til melted, then stir in cream and nuts (and sweetener, if you like).

Depending on your proportions, you may have a creamy, liquid desert, or you may have recreated nutty choc (if you can leave it to get cold.

Alternatively, use the 90% stuff as one of those trendy choc lumps to make hot choc.

:)
Liking both those ideas, thanks!! x

Reactions: 3 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Another quick ask please. I have noticed a few of you mentioning cauli mash? I am probably over thinking this but is it just mashed down cauli or is there more to it? Bought one today to go with sausages tomorrow for dinner and cant help thinking if i boil it and mash it down its going to be awful runny?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put mine in a blender with cream, garlic salt and butter and blend until creamy . Just make sure to drain it properly first.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
OMG...forgot to mention, I have been having a single square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate when I watch TV in the evening...well yesterday when I was shopping i found the Lindt 90% and was so chuffed Id got it. Tried to nibble on it last night, the significant word there was 'tried' oh dear, I would rather have nothing, it tastes like death, do you guys ever acquire a taste for that stuff? Back to 70% for me, although my DN told me today that 1 or 2 squares of any chocolate isn't enough to cause an issue. Will still stick to the 70% though for now, at least until my BG is regulated x
Omg I "tried" the 90% green & blacks one, yuck I've still got that and the Lindt 70% in the fridge. It's the bitterness of them both I can't seem to tolerate

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I put mine in a blender with cream, garlic salt and butter and blend until creamy . Just make sure to drain it properly first.

Thats awesome thanks! x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Omg I "tried" the 90% green & blacks one, yuck I've still got that and the Lindt 70% in the fridge. It's the bitterness of them both I can't seem to tolerate
lol.. theres a few good suggestions flying about on this thread about what to use them up in, I don't mind the 70% so much, just a wee nibble followed by a few gulps of coffee haha. The chocologic milk/dark/white is sugar free and people seem to really like it. I bought a wee pack of mixed ones today, I will report back tomorrow when Ive tried one later to Dr Who :D x

Reactions: 5 people
D

debrasue

Yep not long finished some, I whisk them together with squirty cream and makes it lovely and fluffy like a raspberry mousse ...then I add a wee bit more cream on the top and a raspberry to make it look pretty haha. Have to say though they take a lot longer to defrost than I thought and tonight they were still partially frozen, made the mousse very cold though so was nice ( hoping it doesn't give me a tummy ache, Im not sure why they say it has to be completely defrosted? )
Why don't you use fresh ones?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was easy as I'm in the groove, tomorrow night I'm entertaining - that will be hard, but with a bit of research ..

Chorizo in red wine
Home made Smoked mackerel pate - toasted sourdough (won't have that)
3 hour cooked pork belly (marinating in the fridge), tendersweet broccoli with lemon and chilli, potatoes (won't have them either!)
Cheese board with low carb crackers

All washed down with a nice tasty red

So maybe entertaining, the one aspect at really worried me when my 'what can I eat' process started won't be so bad

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Try G&B's 85% maybe, I find a big difference - also don't keep in the fridge, in my opinion a bit nicer if not rock,hard - just let it melt in your mouth

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read somewhere that the natural flavours and sweetness of high cocoa % choc comes out much better if sucked, not chewed.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why don't you use fresh ones?

I do buy fresh fruit/veg but honestly in the past a lot of it ends up getting thrown away so figure frozen is less wasteful. However now I am eating much more of it than previously fresh might not be such a bad idea. I do also have a really bad thing about sell by dates, I had to throw away two apples today because they were yesterdays date, and I suppose its daft but I suffer from emetaphobia ( fear of vomiting ) so the dates on things worry me a lot. Also if things have been in the fridge too long. I buy meat the day I cook it as a rule. I'm ok with bacon being there for a day or two, or sausages but I bought two fresh chicken breasts from Tesco the other day wrapped in bacon with cheese but I didn't cook them that day and they've been sat in the fridge now for 2 days, the use by date is the 2nd of April but I know I won't eat them. The others here will and they know what Im like. I bet you're sorry you asked now? haha x

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make your pate?

Simple ... Smoked mackerel pate (take skin off) mascarpone cheese tub, lime zest and lime juice (1 lime) - mix it all up to your taste. I whizz in a food processor. Recipe a bit loose on quantities but I use a packet of fillets and a small tub of mascarpone.

So easy, but super tasty and you know exactly what is in it. Keeps 3-4 days in the fridge easily.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simple ... Smoked mackerel pate (take skin off) mascarpone cheese tub, lime zest and lime juice (1 lime) - mix it all up to your taste. I whizz in a food processor. Recipe a bit loose on quantities but I use a packet of fillets and a small tub of mascarpone.

So easy, but super tasty and you know exactly what is in it. Keeps 3-4 days in the fridge easily.

Nice.
I usually use horseradish instead of the lemon, which also works well - but buy the good quality horseradish that isn't too sweet. :)

Reactions: 6 people