Yoo Hoo! I'm starting Newcastle tomorrow CAN'T WAIT!

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum. I read about Newcastle a few days ago and knew that I had to do it. I hope this site will provide support and info from others doing it or who have done this. I will be on here every day to report my progress or just to read what others have to say.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2013. I take metformin 500mg 1x a day, but if I eat properly I don't need it at all, and in fact it makes my sugar go too low if I watch my carbs AND take metformin.
That's why I want to do this diet. I want to be back to my normal weight because being overweight has caused so many problems for me and the longer this goes on, the worst my health will become I believe. I have noticed that when I eat a lot, my heart starts being irregularly and it's hard for me to sleep because I have trouble breathing, and my hands, legs, and feet feel tingly, and my feet hurt to walk on them. I think these are really bad scary signs of nerve damage. That's why I want this to stop.
I know I can re-train myself to eat normally again.
I'm psyched!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent, it should be good.

Are you following the diet with shakes, and veg?

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again. I was just reading that the Newcastle 8 week diet is primarily shakes, but I'm not gonna do that. I have a lot of high quality foods here at home so I'll use those instead. I do have some protein shake powder which I can use, but I'll use it with other real food. I think the goal is the low calorie, no matter how you get there.

Reactions: 2 people

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sunny, no, I'm gonna use real food and maybe some of the powdered protein shake mix I already have. I think the point is to eat only 600 cal a day, no matter how you get there. I did find the diet so I'm going to read it, and what I've read so far says that they (the doctors) used liquid shakes, etc., but I tend to think those patients probably had bad diabetes whereas I don't.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
If you are not going to do Newcastle with the shakes you will need to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients that are in the Newcastle shakes.

Take care

Doug

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Sunny, no, I'm gonna use real food and maybe some of the powdered protein shake mix I already have. I think the point is to eat only 600 cal a day, no matter how you get there. I did find the diet so I'm going to read it, and what I've read so far says that they (the doctors) used liquid shakes, etc., but I tend to think those patients probably had bad diabetes whereas I don't.
It's 800 calories a day. In the original ND it was 600 from meal replacements and the rest from veg.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The diet is tantalizing since it gets results but I am wondering what the parameters might be in terms of sgr sppropriasteness, whether or not it is appropriate if you are on heart meds or have a heart or thyroid or other serious additional condition, how it can be done without shakes, especially since I do not find shakes satisfying and am in the US, and, most of all, what is a person supposed to do if they are not overweight

The reason I would like to try it is the pancreatic fat reduction element. What happens after the eight weeks? Who is going to be willing to monitor me?
After 8 weeks you eat a healthy diet, details of which are up to you. Why do you want to be monitored? Maybe your doctor can monitor you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum. I read about Newcastle a few days ago and knew that I had to do it. I hope this site will provide support and info from others doing it or who have done this. I will be on here every day to report my progress or just to read what others have to say.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2013. I take metformin 500mg 1x a day, but if I eat properly I don't need it at all, and in fact it makes my sugar go too low if I watch my carbs AND take metformin.
That's why I want to do this diet. I want to be back to my normal weight because being overweight has caused so many problems for me and the longer this goes on, the worst my health will become I believe. I have noticed that when I eat a lot, my heart starts being irregularly and it's hard for me to sleep because I have trouble breathing, and my hands, legs, and feet feel tingly, and my feet hurt to walk on them. I think these are really bad scary signs of nerve damage. That's why I want this to stop.
I know I can re-train myself to eat normally again.
I'm psyched!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm not trying to dissuade you from anything, but you make a couple of points I'd like to clarify if I may?

Firstly, you say if you eat properly and take Metformin your bloods run too low? How low is too low? What are your numbers if you do that?

Secondly, if you are going too low, you should be having a discussion with your Doctor about it to adjust your medication. I would never, ever advocate "eating up" to match medication, when a drug can be reduced to accommodate a healthy eating rhythm.

And thirdly, if you are going too low, when eating properly and taking Metformin, what do you imagine the impact of the Newcastle Diet to be, if you embark upon it, taking Metformin as you currently do?

Good luck with it all. :)

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
To answer the question about metformin and explain about my type2 numbers... when I was diagnosed, it was thru a1c, and my blood sugar was 170s-190s. I was diagnosed in the hospital when I went there for something else. Then I was referred to the endo doc, and he put me on metformin, and I saw the dietitian at that visit, and she taught me about eating a certain amount of carbs per meal, certain amount of calories per meal, etc., When I ate properly, in MODERATION as my dad used to say, my numbers weren't in the abnormal range at all, meaning I didn't need metformin. I guess I kept taking it because I didn't always stick to moderate eating, I'd overeat, etc., so I just got into the habit of taking the metformin 1st thing in the morning.
That's why I want to do this diet. I want to retrain myself to eating minimally again.
NoCrbs4me said the diet is 800 and the liquid version is 600.
What I'm going to do is my own version LOL.
I'm going to eat liquid and food but no more than 600 cal per day. (Liquid meaning a protein shake made from powder.)
THEN later to maintain the weight loss I will increase it to 800 then probably finally end up at 1100 or 1200. That's enough.
I am 5-6 and my normal weight is 132, normal range is 130-155. I do love my exercise. That's why I will increase the cals at a later time.
Anyway, I'm in USA/Arizona. Tomorrow I'll start and post on here what I ate. I go for my bike ride in the afternoon/evening, and usually ride for 90 minutes. I might have to curtail that, but I don't think so because I'm overweight now, at about 215, 220, so I think I can eat 600 and still do my exercise.
I don't remember what the diet said for caffeine? Caffeine makes me kind of anxious and that sometimes translates into me overeating so I am going to limit the caffeine.
I'm gonna drink my seltzer water. I love that. (I'm easy to please LOL.) I'm gonna eat grapefruit, 60 cal each, cuz I picked a bunch at this orchard, and I'm gonna go pick some more.
My big problem is boredom. That makes me anxious and anxiety makes me overeat. So if I have something to do, I'm good, and I can lose weight.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi And Breathe, did I answer your metformin questions? I don't really check my blood anymore unless I feel like I have symptoms, so basically that's why I want to do this diet. When I'm normal weight I don't have diabetes. I just have to get to my normal weight range and STAY THERE LOL

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm going to eat liquid and food but no more than 600 cal per day. (Liquid meaning a protein shake made from powder.)
Keep in mind that's lower than the official Newcastle Diet, which is 800 calories a day.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sunny, you really do need to keep an eye on your blood sugars. You have said that you do not test regularly - you might want to reconsider that. Are you getting regular diabetic checks - including foot checks and HbA1c blood tests? What has your doctor said about your painful feet? Is it neuropathy or some other problem? When you sugars go low, what effect does that have on you? One metformin a day is not usually a cause of hypoglycaemia as it does not cause your body to produce more insulin.

Take care

Doug

Reactions: 5 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
The diet is tantalizing since it gets results but I am wondering what the parameters might be in terms of sgr sppropriasteness, whether or not it is appropriate if you are on heart meds or have a heart or thyroid or other serious additional condition, how it can be done without shakes, especially since I do not find shakes satisfying and am in the US, and, most of all, what is a person supposed to do if they are not overweight

The reason I would like to try it is the pancreatic fat reduction element. What happens after the eight weeks? Who is going to be willing to monitor me?
@Galja you might want to start a new thread so you can get the advice you want. As your post is getting lost in Sunny's thread.

Take care

Doug

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi And Breathe, did I answer your metformin questions? I don't really check my blood anymore unless I feel like I have symptoms, so basically that's why I want to do this diet. When I'm normal weight I don't have diabetes. I just have to get to my normal weight range and STAY THERE LOL

Not entirely.

What do you intend to do with your Metformin when you are doing the ND? If you "go too low" just eating normally, do you understand that the ND really isn't "normal" in anyone's terms? How much weight do you actually want to lose to reach your personal objective?

Do you have your Doctor's support in adopting your approach?

To reiterate, you have to treat your condition as you see fit, but I'm not sure I see completely joined up thought processes just yet.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin doesn't make you go low.
If you don't test, how do you know your BS is low?
A diet of grapefruit is contraindicated with metformin.
Possibly you need to revise your approach.

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
HI I'm baaaaaack!!!
Started my ND today. I'm going to post what I'm eating today in a separate post. I hope that's OK. I don't want to break the rules and be banned because I really like this site. I think it's AWESOME!!! I LOVE it. It's really helping me!!!
Ok. I'm going to explain my diabetes and metformin as best I can.
Basically, I only have diabetes if I overeat.
If I follow a moderate diet, eating around 40-80 carbs in a meal, my blood goes to normal within 2 hours. So I don't need metformin.
If I DON'T eat moderately, if I BINGE eat, then my blood sugar is not normal and I think the highest I recorded it was 170? 180?, but if I take metformin with overeating, like maybe 200 carbs? it returns to normal range in 2 hours, that's with 500 mg metformin, which here in USA is 1 pill.
Now... if I overeat and do NOT take metformin, then I get symptoms, like tingling hands, feet, and feet hurt when I walk on them, trouble sleeping, full stomach which takes a long time to empty/digest, etc., etc., and all that means the blood sugar is high and those are the symptoms.
So if I take metformin when I don't need it, when the carbs are not too much and my body is processing them normally, then I feel shaky because then my blood sugar is too low.
So basically, if I eat moderatey, I shouldn't take metformin at all because it's too much and my body doesn't need it.
I am 5-6 and today I weigh 225. Mynormal weight range is 130-155 and my normal weight is 132.
I don't have diabetes when I am normal weight, that's why I want to do this 600 cal/day diet.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI I'm baaaaaack!!!
Started my ND today. I'm going to post what I'm eating today in a separate post. I hope that's OK. I don't want to break the rules and be banned because I really like this site. I think it's AWESOME!!! I LOVE it. It's really helping me!!!
Ok. I'm going to explain my diabetes and metformin as best I can.
Basically, I only have diabetes if I overeat.
If I follow a moderate diet, eating around 40-80 carbs in a meal, my blood goes to normal within 2 hours. So I don't need metformin.
If I DON'T eat moderately, if I BINGE eat, then my blood sugar is not normal and I think the highest I recorded it was 170? 180?, but if I take metformin with overeating, like maybe 200 carbs? it returns to normal range in 2 hours, that's with 500 mg metformin, which here in USA is 1 pill.
Now... if I overeat and do NOT take metformin, then I get symptoms, like tingling hands, feet, and feet hurt when I walk on them, trouble sleeping, full stomach which takes a long time to empty/digest, etc., etc., and all that means the blood sugar is high and those are the symptoms.
So if I take metformin when I don't need it, when the carbs are not too much and my body is processing them normally, then I feel shaky because then my blood sugar is too low.
So basically, if I eat moderatey, I shouldn't take metformin at all because it's too much and my body doesn't need it.
I am 5-6 and today I weigh 225. Mynormal weight range is 130-155 and my normal weight is 132.
I don't have diabetes when I am normal weight, that's why I want to do this 600 cal/day diet.

Hmmm. How was your diabetes diagnosed, and what were your blood scores on diagnosis? Apologies if I missed that anywhere.

Metformin isn't a drug like aspirin that you take and in a short while it works. It works by building up in your system over a period of time; considered to be around 3 weeks, if I recall correctly. So, binging,then taking Metformin isn't overly likely to bring you back down.

I'm a bit confused here. Anyone else have any comment?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The Newcastle diet is 800 calories a day.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't go below 800 calories, it doesn't help you lose more weight, just slows your metabolism down. Been there, done that - never again. ( I did it because I mistakenly believed that the ND was 600 cals ) As @NoCrbs4Me has already said the ND is 600 cals meals replacement plus 200 cals veggies. It's dangerous to go below 800 calories.