protein in urine

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hope someone can help me

Last time I saw diabetic nurse September everything was fine - BG was 7.3 but that was down from 11ish from my first one, normal blood pressure, col. ok kidneys etc - weight loss impressive- all fine - she asked me to do a water sample and drop it in when I was passing the surgery next - no rush.

I have been today for routine 4 monthly check - a different nurse takes the blood - now here's my concern, As I was leaving I mentioned that I had given the urine sample back in Sept - could she tell me results? - they've come back high she says - oh says I whats that mean? Its just says its high says her.

DN will discuss it with you next clinic she says - my appointment is 12th Jan! - I asked should I be concerned or is it possible to have a one off high reading - DN will discuss it with you she says - I didn't push it as my son was with me and he over worries about things - didn't want him fretting.

My questions - (after all that waffling on above) - if they were worried would they have contacted me before now and not leave it until clinic?

I remember I was very near my period - may even have been at the beginning or end of it - would that make a difference to the result?

Thanks for any help and sorry I know I have waffled a bit but getting myself in a bit of a state!

lovinglife

lsander1

Hi, Just a note to congratulate you on your weight loss. How did you do it? I am having a very hard time and have just about the same amount to lose as you show. 2nd, I would be concerned about the results of any test out of norm. I live in Texas and go to doctors connected to a teaching facility. We are not seen by the nurses, only doctors at each visit, so we are given result information by the doctor. The diabetic nurses are usually available for consult, diet, excercise and classes.

FordPrefect

I wouldnt worry unduly about the protein whilst its a cause for concern if it was urgent they would have changed your appointment. There are many potential causes for this and until it has been investigated further I wouldn't worry as like I said if it was a cause for concern you would have had your appointment bought forward.

TracyA

Dislikes
Liars and ignorant people.
Hi,I had protein in mine too,and the nurse told me not to worry,and that it was a sign that my diabetes wasnt under control yet.I have to go back in 4 weeks for her to re-check it.

IanS

lovinglife said:
Hi hope someone can help me

... I have been today for routine 4 monthly check - a different nurse takes the blood - now here's my concern, As I was leaving I mentioned that I had given the urine sample back in Sept - could she tell me results? - they've come back high she says - oh says I whats that mean? Its just says its high says her.

DN will discuss it with you next clinic she says - my appointment is 12th Jan! - I asked should I be concerned or is it possible to have a one off high reading - DN will discuss it with you she says - I didn't push it as my son was with me and he over worries about things - didn't want him fretting.

In my experience with dealing with the medical profession, if they are being ambivalent about discussing results with you then there is a high probability that there is nothing really to discuss. If there was anything of concern, they start getting excited and contact you ASAP.

When I had my blood test that led to me being diagnosed with diabetes, Although I was due to see the GP two weeks later, a letter nevertheless fell on my dormat.

I wouldn't worry.

IanS

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all for your replies - sorry not got back to you earlier - streses of the season n all that :wink:

lsander1 said:
Hi, Just a note to congratulate you on your weight loss. How did you do it?

Hi Isander - I never intentionally set out to lose weight but god knows I needed to! - Its my view that the new way of living that has helped the pounds drop off - restricting my carbs to about 130g a day - eating to my meter - eg avoiding those carbs that I have learnt from testing do me no good - and exercise - thats the biggie - a good long walk everyday and if I can't manage to get out a good dance in the kitchen to mega tunes lol.

As to the high result in my urine - I have calmed down about that - I know if there was any great concern they would have contacted me or the Nurse Vampire would have said bring your app forward.

I was talking to my friend - a T2 long term - and she said high in what? - I realised I had presumed she meant high in protein and didn't ask the "in what?" question :oops:

Also all of you that replied have helped put my mind at rest so thanks :) - going to get on enjoying Christmas and worry no more about it - for the couple of days that it was on my mind my BG was running a little higher - probably because I was stressing so much - which isn't usually me as I am usally very calm and practical - but I do waffle as you can see :roll: so shutting up now - thanks all :)