blood monitor readings

pestypaws

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all first post be gentle.I use an Aviva accu -chek monitor but never know what is the accurate reading as it can be 10 out sometimes. type 2 by the way.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pestypaws. First let me say welcome to the forum.

two questions I have for you 1) do you wash your hands with plain water before testing? Dirty sugary fingers can affect the result 2) Have you used the control solutions and know that your machine is faulty

Aviva accu-check (registering your machine is required) will send you the correct control solutions free so that you can check the accuracy of your machine - if it's not accurate with the control solutions then my advice would be to buy a new machine. You see your bg machine is your best friend (and your most important one) and one you know can be inaccurate is not worth holding onto.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
+/- 10 mg/dL isn't too bad.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
+/- 10mmols on the other hand...way too far off and something would be wrong with meter, strips or method.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of questions come immediately to mind.

Which scale is the meter reading display - mg/dl or mmol/L?

Secondly, what are you comparing with?

Are you doing fingertip tests, or alternate site tests?
Is the meter new, or old? Is it codefree, or do you need to enter a strip code?

tinker1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy days
Is it right that code free meters show slightly higher readings

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it right that code free meters show slightly higher readings
No. it is not due to meters being Codefree, It is how the meters and strips are calibrated, and that depends on the manufacturer, the meter model type, the age of the meter and the strips. You need to read the info that came with the meter and/or the strips to find out if the meter displays results as whole blood or plasma, My NEO is whole blood, my Xceeds are both whole blood. My SD Codefree is whole blood, but the strips are plasma. This converts my Codefree into a plasma meter, which will always read 12% higher than my NEO or XCEEDs.