Any young type 1s living alone at uni?

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm 19 and newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Im going to university this year but I'm worried about living on my own, even if in halls, especially when it comes to possible nighttime hypoglycemia and also because I'm trying to eat LCHF I don't want to be the weird one who won't get a normal takeaway or something hahah. Just wondering what people's experiences are of the new people they live with and feeling safe at night
lila

gab_07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey :) I'm 20 and in my third year of uni, 2 hours away from home! I was in halls on my first year, in a room on my own that was locked overnight! Nighttime hypo's have been a huge anxiety for me, I've had diabetes for 9 years now and thankfully I've only had one severe hypo (unfortunately overnight).

As long as you're checking your blood before you sleep, and it is running steady in the hours running up to bed time, that's the best thing to do :) also, setting an alarm for 3am tests is a good idea, then you're not going the whole night not knowing how your blood sugar is.

Also, depending on how long you have been diagnosed for, you'll learn how good you are at waking up from hypo's in your sleep- the slight low, even in the 4's and I'm awake.

You just have to tell everyone as soon as possible that you have diabetes type 1. People are more understanding than you think and then you have people that know around you and can look out for you :) you won't be 'weird' by any means- and if people are judgemental they aren't worth it, you have to put yourself first :)

Also if you're going to clubs and drinking at uni (especially during freshers week) just be careful with alcohol as it tends to make your blood sugar drop hours later.

Going to uni is an amazing experience, especially with diabetes, it matures you so much and makes you so much more independent and able to cope on your own. I know just how scary it is but you'll be fine I'm sure :)

Gabrielle X

Reactions: 3 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya,
I haven't been to uni but I am 24, diabetic for 20 years and me and my partner own our own home and he works shifts so there's quite a few nights where I'm on my own in a similar situation to you apart from being in halls. We also have no neighbours!

What I do is have plenty of hypo treatments next to my bed along with my blood monitor. When my OH is on nights our bedroom looks like a tuck shop!

With regards to eating differently to everybody else, if these people like you for who you are then it won't matter. In this day and age there are a lot of people out there that have different opinions on the food they eat.
If people are going to think you're weird for not eating the same as them perhaps they're not worth being friends with anyway.

I will also second what @gab_07 said when it comes to drinking. Be careful. Alcohol will rise your blood sugars but will also plummet them later on. It depends on what you drink as to how you deal with this. If you're a spirit drinker then take your spirits with full fat mixer not diet. Never correct for a high after alcohol because, as I said, the alcohol will lower your bloods hours later thus adding to the risk of an over night hypo.
It's also a good idea to have a carby snack such as a piece of toast before you go to sleep to avoid these hypos. (Not sure how that'll work with your LCHF but it's better to be safe than sorry)
It's also wise to let everyone who you go clubbing with know the symptoms and what to do in the event of a hypo. It is very easy to confuse a hypo with a drunk person.

The main thing to remember is to enjoy yourself!
Don't let diabetes rule your life, you're young and free with no responsibilities, make the most of it but stay safe!

Have fun!
Claire x

Reactions: 2 people

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey :) I'm 20 and in my third year of uni, 2 hours away from home! I was in halls on my first year, in a room on my own that was locked overnight! Nighttime hypo's have been a huge anxiety for me, I've had diabetes for 9 years now and thankfully I've only had one severe hypo (unfortunately overnight).

As long as you're checking your blood before you sleep, and it is running steady in the hours running up to bed time, that's the best thing to do :) also, setting an alarm for 3am tests is a good idea, then you're not going the whole night not knowing how your blood sugar is.

Also, depending on how long you have been diagnosed for, you'll learn how good you are at waking up from hypo's in your sleep- the slight low, even in the 4's and I'm awake.

You just have to tell everyone as soon as possible that you have diabetes type 1. People are more understanding than you think and then you have people that know around you and can look out for you :) you won't be 'weird' by any means- and if people are judgemental they aren't worth it, you have to put yourself first :)

Also if you're going to clubs and drinking at uni (especially during freshers week) just be careful with alcohol as it tends to make your blood sugar drop hours later.

Going to uni is an amazing experience, especially with diabetes, it matures you so much and makes you so much more independent and able to cope on your own. I know just how scary it is but you'll be fine I'm sure :)

Gabrielle X
Thank you I will definitely tell everyone and hopefully will learn more about how I respond to lows in the next few months. It's nice to know that other people do it and have a great time :)

Reactions: 2 people

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya,
I haven't been to uni but I am 24, diabetic for 20 years and me and my partner own our own home and he works shifts so there's quite a few nights where I'm on my own in a similar situation to you apart from being in halls. We also have no neighbours!

What I do is have plenty of hypo treatments next to my bed along with my blood monitor. When my OH is on nights our bedroom looks like a tuck shop!

With regards to eating differently to everybody else, if these people like you for who you are then it won't matter. In this day and age there are a lot of people out there that have different opinions on the food they eat.
If people are going to think you're weird for not eating the same as them perhaps they're not worth being friends with anyway.

I will also second what @gab_07 said when it comes to drinking. Be careful. Alcohol will rise your blood sugars but will also plummet them later on. It depends on what you drink as to how you deal with this. If you're a spirit drinker then take your spirits with full fat mixer not diet. Never correct for a high after alcohol because, as I said, the alcohol will lower your bloods hours later thus adding to the risk of an over night hypo.
It's also a good idea to have a carby snack such as a piece of toast before you go to sleep to avoid these hypos. (Not sure how that'll work with your LCHF but it's better to be safe than sorry)
It's also wise to let everyone who you go clubbing with know the symptoms and what to do in the event of a hypo. It is very easy to confuse a hypo with a drunk person.

The main thing to remember is to enjoy yourself!
Don't let diabetes rule your life, you're young and free with no responsibilities, make the most of it but stay safe!

Have fun!
Claire x
Thank you :) I happy to hear people sleep alone at night and are ok! I will definitely keep snacks by my bed! I feel very fortunate to have lived almost 20 years without diabetes so you're amazing living with it for 20 :) thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I did it twice over 4 years in total. I now live on my own. as above test before sleep and have food close by :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you :) I happy to hear people sleep alone at night and are ok! I will definitely keep snacks by my bed! I feel very fortunate to have lived almost 20 years without diabetes so you're amazing living with it for 20 :) thanks again for the advice!
No problem, I hope you have a fantastic time!

xxx

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LilaE - wow, an exciting time!

I second what others have said about telling everyone - I didn't do this, and although I did my best to look after myself without the support I needed (own fault - I didn't have the emotional maturity to 'share' what I considered at the time to be a huge negative) I so, so wish I had trusted my friends with knowing about it and what to look out for.

Yes, I got through it, but with some difficulties which could have been completely avoided had I not kept my diabetes from people!

It'll be amazing - you'll be fine - just get a supportive team of friends behind you. Which you will be doing anyway!

Have a wonderful time at uni!

:)

gab_07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you I will definitely tell everyone and hopefully will learn more about how I respond to lows in the next few months. It's nice to know that other people do it and have a great time :)

The more people know the better, and nobody will think of you any differently because of it :) there will be so many lovely caring people who will want to know and know how to help you.

I was extremely lucky to have met my boyfriend in the first few months of uni, and he's now an expert on my diabetes and is there to help all the time. My friends are all aware but I should really inform and teach them more...

And I'm sure all of your tutors/lecturers and uni staff will be more than understanding if you need to eat and leave etc at any point.

And to expand on above- definitely pick up some food at the end of a night out... Some chips or something carby. And it's a must to have hypo stuff on your bedside :)

you'll be absolutely fine and will learn so much - good luck!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LilaE
I am not T1 so can't advise on that aspect BUT I have been a Uni academic for many many years, my advise is to tell your tutors/lecturers you are T1, allowances are made for any additional needs any student has (taking extra snacks into an exam or allowing an extra 10mins to make up for times you need to test during exams etc, allowing extra time for breaks during lab sessions etc)

As far as living accommodation is concerned I would strongly suggest you apply for halls in your first year and make a note on your application that you have T1. Most uni halls have hall tutors/hall parents etc who are there to help undergrads settle in, stay safe and get themselves out of trouble (oohhh the stories I could tell ;)) The duty hall 'parent' will check on you if you want them to (it will be your choice). I used to get all students (not just T1s !) to put the number of the duty hall parent into their phones so they could text or ring if they needed help.

You will make friends in halls really quickly and you could ask for one of your new friends to check on you in morning if you are worried. Have a spare testing/insulin kit as undergrads lose stuff regularly. Some uni halls provide a mini fridge in rooms some don't, so you will need to check. I would not advise you leaving insulin in shared fridge. Keep snacks in room - other students will 'borrow' your food and mean to replace it but won't.

The biggest issue I have had to deal with in terms of T1 undergrads is with regards to alcohol consumption messing up their BG levels. Take advice from others on the forum on how to handle that issue and have fun!!

Temi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything that bores me
Hey, I'm 21 and I'm my 3rd year out of 6 at uni. I was diagnosed at 17 so I was still a newbie diabetic when I started university and i was so nervous about it. I lived in halls and currently live with only one other person. Night time hypos were a concern for me (and my mum lol). I made sure my hall wardens knew and all of my friends at uni knew. They are always messaging me after nights out to make sure that I'm ok. It can be scary at times, but I've managed to get all mighty time hypos under control by myself. Make sure everyone knows you're diabetic, keep your hypo sweets in your bedside table and speak to your diabetic team about the effects of alcohol- I had no idea that alcohol caused hypos before, and they would happen at 4am, no great, but I learnt how to deal with them safely. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask :)

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, I'm 21 and I'm my 3rd year out of 6 at uni. I was diagnosed at 17 so I was still a newbie diabetic when I started university and i was so nervous about it. I lived in halls and currently live with only one other person. Night time hypos were a concern for me (and my mum lol). I made sure my hall wardens knew and all of my friends at uni knew. They are always messaging me after nights out to make sure that I'm ok. It can be scary at times, but I've managed to get all mighty time hypos under control by myself. Make sure everyone knows you're diabetic, keep your hypo sweets in your bedside table and speak to your diabetic team about the effects of alcohol- I had no idea that alcohol caused hypos before, and they would happen at 4am, no great, but I learnt how to deal with them safely. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask :)
Thank you for the advice! It's interesting to hear from others who were diagnosed at a similar time before going to uni :) I've decided to live in a house with 4 others and one being my being friend and I've learned so much in these few months. Hope the rest of your uni experience goes well! (You must be doing exams right now?? Good luck!)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app