How often do you change the lancet?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Is it with every test, daily or longer?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually change mine every morning when I remember. However when I first started testing I though it should be every time so I did buy 300. I do have a fair few to get through.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You're supposed to change it?

Ray2101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Testing about 6-8 times a day, I change my lancet about every three months - as Kristin said, "when it hurts and I don't get blood.". Studies have shown that there is little likely hood of infection etc. by not changing the lancet.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Change new for every test even if u carry out many test a day. This is to avoid the old lancet might be infected after a test.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to change every test.... but nowadays I change it once a day or sometimes every few days. My fingers are fine as I am a bit ocd with washing my hands anyhow.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use the Fastclix and always rotate the drum each morning before the first bg test, if out and about and hands are not too clean I'll rotate the drum once I've completed the test.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was changing it every other day but now I change it every time as once used it is no longer sterile and as you are drawing blood even though only a small amount you can become vulnerable to infection.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not often enough. My fingers tell a sorry, calloused tale. Could have avoided permanent finger-hideousness had I got into better lancet habits from the start!

:banghead:

Official advice is I think to change it every time. I'm a fool not to. I know this. My bad.

:)

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on humulini and use a new pen approx every five days. I change my lancet with the new pen and sometimes in between.
I do two injections each day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology
I change mine when i have difficultly getting blood which is about 6 months of 12 tests per day

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to not change it very often. But wit accu chek fastclix you can easily change for every test

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm shocked by some responses I try to every test. Never have sore fingers or marks where I've tested. Reusing a needle just seems pointless...

EddyG69_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Moaning old gits, well moaners in general
I use safecode daily and change the lancet every time, especially as they're not expensive and I deem it not worth the risk however small the risk might be