Thanks Prof Taylor - Newcastle University

fene48

Too bloody right the diet works. I am 2 1/2 weeks into it, lost 10kgs, off 2 tablets, metformin halved, HbA1c dropped from 9.9 to 5.8 (as per my fructosamine test). After being a binge eater for 68 years and a self confessed chubby bubby, these are to me a beeeutiful set of figures. BUT:

1. I am tired and irritable.
2. I have ketone breath (halitosis)
3. I have exercised my butt off and will continue to do so (1hr on treadmill on 14 degree incline plus two short workouts per day)
4. I hate the shakes - they taste like ****.
5. I am subject to loss of lean muscle tissue ( had to increase my daily protein to 85 grams - taking whey, but hey it tastes OK)
6. I had to be cleared medically and see my GP every week and ring him if I need to. Total support.
7. Great support from wife and family.
8. My life is on hold for 8 weeks. No worries.
9. I am a compulsive personality and I use all of such gifts to say focussed.
10. I know that this does not stop at 8 weeks. Good sense, portion/carb control etc will be essential for the rest of my life.
11. My chances of developing gall stones are about 5x higher than average.
12. I promised myself NEVER to visit web sites ever again where stupid, biased and uninformed people write a load of ****. (I don't mean this site)

CONCLUSIONS
1. Definitely not for everyone. If you prefer to do it slower that's fine too.
2. You need to make your decision carefully.
3. Make sure you listen to Prof Taylor's lecture CAREFULLY. It lasts an hour. Better still listen to it twice. Its available on the University's MRI site under Diabetes. For God's sake don't take for gospel the BS some sites bang on about.
4. Blessings by the truckload on the Professor - may he continue on his researching ways.
5. If I had to become a diabetic - I am so grateful that I am a Type 2 and not a Type 1.
6. What helped me was to realize that I had the problem, therefore I owned it as well as the solution.
My personal mantra comes from The Buddha:

The thought manifests as the word
The word manifests as the act
The acts develops into habit
The habit hardens into character
So watch the thought and its way with care
For as the shadow follows the body, as we THINK, so we become.

Amen and good luck to all undertaking the Newcastle Diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fene48 Great post!

If you have listened to the lecture twice, then I already know the answer to this, but (just checking) are you taking the extra oil to make sure the gall bladder is stimulated daily?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is 4g of fat in each of the three shakes already, so you're already getting 12g a day, if you are using the same ratio's as the original, that's already 15% of your daily calories from fat. If you do feel you can't miss one meal with another 4 g of fat in, remember to knock off 40 calories from the real food for every teaspoon of oil you feel you need to add. Bear in mind that does substantially alter the ratio to 20% of your daily intake as fat.

I have no idea if the gall bladder would have a problem at 12g, or would seem to need 16g to work each day, or it's the thought of one meal without a day that's a problem, but I have to say, many times I've had salads with no issues personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanEtch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Too bloody right the diet works. I am 2 1/2 weeks into it, lost 10kgs, off 2 tablets, metformin halved, HbA1c dropped from 9.9 to 5.8 (as per my fructosamine test). After being a binge eater for 68 years and a self confessed chubby bubby, these are to me a beeeutiful set of figures. BUT:

1. I am tired and irritable.
2. I have ketone breath (halitosis)
3. I have exercised my butt off and will continue to do so (1hr on treadmill on 14 degree incline plus two short workouts per day)
4. I hate the shakes - they taste like ****.
5. I am subject to loss of lean muscle tissue ( had to increase my daily protein to 85 grams - taking whey, but hey it tastes OK)
6. I had to be cleared medically and see my GP every week and ring him if I need to. Total support.
7. Great support from wife and family.
8. My life is on hold for 8 weeks. No worries.
9. I am a compulsive personality and I use all of such gifts to say focussed.
10. I know that this does not stop at 8 weeks. Good sense, portion/carb control etc will be essential for the rest of my life.
11. My chances of developing gall stones are about 5x higher than average.
12. I promised myself NEVER to visit web sites ever again where stupid, biased and uninformed people write a load of ****. (I don't mean this site)

CONCLUSIONS
1. Definitely not for everyone. If you prefer to do it slower that's fine too.
2. You need to make your decision carefully.
3. Make sure you listen to Prof Taylor's lecture CAREFULLY. It lasts an hour. Better still listen to it twice. Its available on the University's MRI site under Diabetes. For God's sake don't take for gospel the BS some sites bang on about.
4. Blessings by the truckload on the Professor - may he continue on his researching ways.
5. If I had to become a diabetic - I am so grateful that I am a Type 2 and not a Type 1.
6. What helped me was to realize that I had the problem, therefore I owned it as well as the solution.
My personal mantra comes from The Buddha:

The thought manifests as the word
The word manifests as the act
The acts develops into habit
The habit hardens into character
So watch the thought and its way with care
For as the shadow follows the body, as we THINK, so we become.

Amen and good luck to all undertaking the Newcastle Diet.

Thank you for your post too @fene48. Having been badly Type 2, I have had 6 good years following Gastric Bypass Surgery - no meds and completely stable and HbA1c high 4's low 5's. An injury has stopped me exercising for the last year and guess what - 10Kgs heavier and now Type 2 is back with a vengeance.

I am going to do the Newcastle diet and I am really keen to see/hear Prof Taylor's lecture, but just can't find it - please could someone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Ian

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your post too @fene48. Having been badly Type 2, I have had 6 good years following Gastric Bypass Surgery - no meds and completely stable and HbA1c high 4's low 5's. An injury has stopped me exercising for the last year and guess what - 10Kgs heavier and now Type 2 is back with a vengeance.

I am going to do the Newcastle diet and I am really keen to see/hear Prof Taylor's lecture, but just can't find it - please could someone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Ian
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
Lecture from Berlin.

https://campus.recap.ncl.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Embed.aspx?id=c3bef819-e5f4-4a55-876f-0a23436988ed&v=1

Lecture in newcastle.

Site where you find the lecture.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm American so I had to convert from kg to lbs, but WOW! You lost 22 pounds in not even 3 weeks? AWESOME!!!
I never heard of this diet until a few weeks ago when I read about it in Daily Mail which is a British publication anyway and the diet started in Britain. I feel that this info is being kept from Americans! Like we have to be detectives and find all this information ourselves, no one helps us, certainly not the doctors here that's for sure. Glad I discovered it and even HAPPIER I found this site. This is great. Good for you!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

fene48

Go for it Ian. I am a subscriber to the Joslin Diabetic Centre. Yet even this eminent body does not discuss it.I wish you the best in your endavours.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should look after your gall bladder as @Brunneria suggests. The most common problem with such strict diets is gallstones.

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/new...hat-anyone-can-reverse-their-type-2-diabetes/

The dietdoctor completely debunks that

http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

the third study points to the results below, which shows, as I said earlier, that the 12g of fat the shakes is enough, there is no need to raise it to 16g and waste a high proportion of the calories in the real food simply for empty calories in fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9665682

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The diet doctor link has nothing to do with very low calorie diets - it's about whether high fat diets cause issues with gallstones - which is the exact opposite of the issue @zand is warning of.

In fact, the main point of the diet doctor link is: "Conclusion: Do you want gallstones? Avoid fat."

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The diet doctor link has nothing to do with very low calorie diets - it's about whether high fat diets cause issues with gallstones - which is the exact opposite of the issue @zand is warning of.

In fact, the main point of the diet doctor link is: "Conclusion: Do you want gallstones? Avoid fat."

No, you are completely wrong, the dietdoctor references state the 12g is more than adequate, if you read the study, rather than incorrectly quoting the tag line.
Unless you believe the diet doctor is incorrect, he has totally debunked the myth the 12g of fat isn't enough.
If you do have results to prove the dietdoctor incorrect, maybe you should contact him directly?

I'll quote it for you
'In the obese during rapid weight loss from a very low calorie diet, a relatively high fat intake could prevent gallstone formation'

higher fat being

'12.2 g fat/d;'

(Much as it's painful to accept, I doubt the numbers lie)

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The dietdoctor completely debunks that

http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

the third study points to the results below, which shows, as I said earlier, that the 12g of fat the shakes is enough, there is no need to raise it to 16g and waste a high proportion of the calories in the real food simply for empty calories in fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9665682
Calories from fat are not empty calories. Fat, unlike carbs, is necessary for good health. The shakes are not real food! Edible food substitutes at best.

The point of my post was to warn the OP and anyone else that having too little fat is dangerous. If Professor Taylor himself says in the lectures that extra fat is necessary on the ND then I'm not sure why you are arguing against this.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Calories from fat are not empty calories. Fat, unlike carbs, is necessary for good health. The shakes are not real food! Edible food substitutes at best.

The point of my post was to warn the OP and anyone else that having too little fat is dangerous. If Professor Taylor himself says in the lectures that extra fat is necessary on the ND then I'm not sure why you are arguing against this.

I'm just repeating the dietdoctors advice.
As I say, if you think he is incorrect, please contact him.

If you believe the Newcastle diet is incorrect, and shakes shouldn't be used either, please contact the professor, and ask him to amend his website accordingly. He may ask for for your studies that show alternatives work as well. Can you supply the information?

I don't mind either way, but it seems pointless to decry both experts.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just repeating the dietdoctors advice.
As I say, if you think he is incorrect, please contact him.

If you believe the Newcastle diet is incorrect, and shakes shouldn't be used either, please contact the professor, and ask him to amend his website accordingly. He may ask for for your studies that show alternatives work as well. Can you supply the information?

I don't mind either way, but it seems pointless to decry both experts.
Oh my word! I'm not decrying anything! You are the one doing that. You have twisted words from both Diet Doctor and Professor Taylor. I am not interested in arguing the point with you further, my only reason in entering the thread was to warn of the possibilities of gallstones after very low cal diets. I do wonder why you seem to have a constant need to nitpick and argue.

@fene48 well done on your progress so far :) Good luck with the rest of the 8 weeks. :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my word! I'm not decrying anything! You are the one doing that. You have twisted words from both Diet Doctor and Professor Taylor. I am not interested in arguing the point with you further, my only reason in entering the thread was to warn of the possibilities of gallstones after very low cal diets. I do wonder why you seem to have a constant need to nitpick and argue.

@fene48 well done on your progress so far :) Good luck with the rest of the 8 weeks. :)

I'm sure anyone who reads the quoted reports can see I have quoted them exactly as written, by the authors.

I have also referred to the exact level of fat required, and it does seem the evidence that is written agrees that the Newcastle diet satisfies it entirely,

It is always a shame when a specifically low calorie diet, on a low calorie forum seems to always be interrupted by an unnecessary 'high fat influence', well meaning no doubt, but misinformed, as proven by the references given.
The op has already said they aren't doing this, and will take their chances, so perhaps that should be respected now?

As you say though, let us not distract from the op's post any further, as they have had an excellent result.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You sure do like to argue SunnyExpat, but at least you are always polite.