Metformin

ianbaddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I've just had my 6 month check up, and I was good new for me as my blood glucose levels have come down from 8.5 to 6.5, so I have asked to change from 3 tablets of metformin to the slow release version still taking 3 tablets, but I will be taking them all at the same time, this is due to me working permanent nights, and having difficultly spacing my medication out, eg when I start nights my day starts about 9am and I get back to bed about 7am the following day, when I finish nights my day is only about 10 hrs long, has anyone on here taking the slow release tablets, that could give me any info as to the side effects or had any problems with the tablets.
thanks Ian

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the SR version from the start 10 years ago and still taking them. No problems whatsoever.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
HI Ian I started metformin 500mg in Jan this year, 1 daily for first week then increased to 2 second week. Unfortunately I was one of those people who could not tolerate them bloated all the time tummy aches cramps and the dreaded wind. I did try for a few weeks but in the end went back to doc and he changed them to the SR ones. Must confess did think in the first couple of weeks that these were giving me a few problems but soon settled down, glad to say I am fine now. I take 1 with breakfast and 1 with dinner, so as for you taking 3 at the same time I am sorry I can not comment, you can only give them a try you may be fine, But you must take with food as you probably know. Good luck:)

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Horror movies or programs
Hi all,
I have started to take Metformin. One daily with breakfast or meal during the day. I've been taking them a week, and so far I've noticed my blood sugar is lower an hour or so afterwards. Then gradually, the blood sugar increases.
Only once my blood sugar has been within its target range.
Is that normal with Metformin, or should I be going back to my doctor with this information?

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I have started to take Metformin. One daily with breakfast or meal during the day. I've been taking them a week, and so far I've noticed my blood sugar is lower an hour or so afterwards. Then gradually, the blood sugar increases.
Only once my blood sugar has been within its target range.
Is that normal with Metformin, or should I be going back to my doctor with this information?
Hi, metformin does not have a very large impact on you blood glucose levels, especially after just a week. As I understand it the effect is cumulative and is more centered on your liver. It can, however, act as an appetite supressant which helps with weight loss which in turn helps with BG control. Mind you I`m no expert and I`m sure if I`m wrong someone will be along to put us right;).

Reactions: 2 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi, metformin does not have a very large impact on you blood glucose levels, especially after just a week.

Whilst the effects of Metformin are accumulative I would like to question the statement "metformin does not have a very large impact on you blood glucose levels". Surely that is an opinion? Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization, and therefore it's effects will be different from person to person.

There also seems to be a lot of discussion about how effective it is if taken before or during a meal.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst the effects of Metformin are accumulative I would like to question the statement "metformin does not have a very large impact on you blood glucose levels". Surely that is an opinion? Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization, and therefore it's effects will be different from person to person.

There also seems to be a lot of discussion about how effective it is if taken before or during a meal.
You may well be correct and I did go on to say that it was my understanding of it and furthermore that I am no expert. The op seemed to want to know whether they should be going to the doctor with the results, it`s my (unqualified) opinion that metformin would not produce any really significant changes after just a week. I apologise if I expressed myself badly.

Reactions: 4 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that after one week metformin wouldn't make much of a difference.

I have been on the slow release version for the last couple of months, after not tolerating the normal version. To be fair each person is individual. Personally I am feeling more and more as if I need to get it changed as I am getting constipated and stomach pains and generally feeling more and more unwell with it.

RedRider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sprouts, Arrogant Rude People
Hi All, I am a Type 2 Diabetic of many years and was on Metformin normal and SR but both caused me dreadful stomach pains and diarreoah I daren't be more than a 100 yds away from a toilet as it came on suddenly !! I gave it a few months of purgatory to see if my body would get used to it, but no ! So back to the Doctors to change my medication, I am now on Gliclazide 80mg twice a day, Linagliptin 5 mg 1 a day and 250mg of Metformin twice a day with food that's all my body will tolerate and even then I get the odd 'upset tummy day' but it's good to have more freedom to go out and about without worrying about where the 'nearest loo' was ! At the end of the day it is what you can tolerate, All the best.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I daren't be more than a 100 yds away from a toilet

Something I know a lot about, in those days (late 1990s), I believed everything my doctor told me and 'tolerated' Metformin for 5 years before I said "enough is enough". I was mentally unwell, making excuses for not attending all sorts of functions from family weddings to friend's parties. I was also physically in a bad way, sadly the alternative had an even worse side effect for me. Rosiglitazone helped me gain nearly 8 stone in weight and the Citilapram they prescribed for the anxiety of weight gain helped me not worry about it. After a few years I was taken off the Rosiglitazone because my liver function was deteriorating and I was put back on Metformin. Strangely, it didn't have the same effect the same time round although not put on the SR version, obviously too expensive for my GP at the time.

It's only recently that one of the pharmaceutical companies' CEOs stated at a conference that the efficacy of a drug is different in all of us and in some cases doesn't even work.

lillipilli15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I've just had my 6 month check up, and I was good new for me as my blood glucose levels have come down from 8.5 to 6.5, so I have asked to change from 3 tablets of metformin to the slow release version still taking 3 tablets, but I will be taking them all at the same time, this is due to me working permanent nights, and having difficultly spacing my medication out, eg when I start nights my day starts about 9am and I get back to bed about 7am the following day, when I finish nights my day is only about 10 hrs long, has anyone on here taking the slow release tablets, that could give me any info as to the side effects or had any problems with the tablets.
thanks Ian
Hi was on the normal ones but had bad reaction but hv bn on modified release for 2 yrs just take the 1 tab at night...or 500 mg ×2....no probs at all...hope it all goes well for you and you continue to bring your bg under control....well done by the way...

Sarah1177

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks Ian
Hi there, I have been on slow release Metformin for around four years now. I'm on insulin also now. I was taken off standard release Metformin as it was giving me awful gastric side effects. The slow release is far better, well for me anyway. It's all trial and error as they say. Hope it suits you too x

vivientlr147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
To many it will take me allday.lol..
thanks Ian
Hi Ian I take. slow release metformin now they are called GLUCOPHAGE SR.I take 1000mg I take 2 last thing at night. ( bunny)vivien.

ianboogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , just to say I've been on standard metformin for 2 years, started at 4 then 2 after 6 mths, I've always taken them with food, morning and evening, the only side effects were bit of tummy upset which settled in a month and a slight increase in wind, which has stayed with me, I think the side effects I had were also affected by the drastic change in diet, but all in all I don't find them too much of a problem. I think that it affects everyone differently, maybe I was lucky that my body reacted kindly to it. Anyway I have a review coming up so it could all change for all I know :)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I have had to come off metformin as I had diarrhoea all the time. I'm now on the LCHF diet and I'm feeling so much better. My weight is coming down and so are my BG levels. I've not told the DN that I'm off it totally, she told me to stop whilst I went on holiday! I did go back on it brie and my 'troubles' returned! Will be seeing her next week.......

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list

Hi David,
I have been on Mets for about 70 days after being a newly diagnosed, i find Metoformin effect on me the also have a lower impact as my BG goes down( usually i notice )2 or 3 points after 3 hours of a meal.
The effect on my BG serms slower & more stable.
However, i switched to DIAMICRON ( gliclazida) after reading about that on medical site just to try it out.
I find it more sensitive to insulin produced by my panceras. and seem to have
a better effect in control my BG & longer lasting effect & quicker
Wonder if you had an information on these 2 drugs reaction to BG?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Had metformin for a long time and no ill effects as of yet....tried glic as well but doctor took me off them and put me on forxiga

magjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks Ian

magjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
You don't say if you have any side-effects with the ordinary metformin, so I presume not. I had terrible diarrhoea with it, they changed me to the SR, but it didn't have any effect. They then cut me from 2 to one tablet, morning and evening, the diarrhoea abated, AND MY BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS DROPPED!

chris2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks Ian

Hi I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2002 and put on Metformin. I don't know which type, I just took one before each meal. Eventually my dose increased until I was on "elephant-sized" tablets (can't remember the dosage). At the beginning of 2010 I became unwell, just not wanting to eat and over the next 8 months lost 2 stone. At this point I had every test known to man but they couldn't find the problem. Then at the end of October they discovered I had kidney failure which put me in hospital for 10 days. As soon as they stopped the Metformin my appetite came back. I changed to gliclazide and now have insulin as well, the only side effects being weight gain. Hope this helps.