I think i done somthing bad not sure though feel bit guilty

Tiger

Dislikes
my inner body lungs bones teath my genrall health
I recently went into hospital after things got bad and a thank god man for internet good advice given . I was getting better through yesterday until 3am this morning somthing happened and now they got me in own room in icu i dont remember all but enough the student nurse on duty came to check bloods at 3am she woke me as normal and i lost it i went into a rage i dont much of what i did but they i spat in her face scratched her arm and attacked her i was shouting and screeming and she could be booted out for slapping me which i dont remember either then it was lights out i came to at 4 this afternoon on intensive care feeling like death warmed up they say id risen well above the thirties but they not really explained why i lost it and why i passed out they just keep saying dont worry it happens forget it but i cant have you ever heard of this before i have spoke to a hospital manager and asked they dont get rid of this nurse that really worries me as it really my fault not hers.

pip

I cannot answer your questions, but wanted to say, this was obviously something that has happened when you have been ill and would never have happened otherwise. Try not to worry, getting well again is your first priority just now, then you can deal with this.

sandymaynard

Hi
During a extreme high! You can get voilent! I remember my mum getting that way when her sugars went 23 and above! She was insulin dependant type 1! I remember the way she was!
She flipped on a penny! This is when i knew that she was going high!
I found that she would always start by saying something then that was it! Full blown attack!
The brain as far as i know can only cope with a certain amount of sugar before it goes haywire! It does strange things to us!
It was wrong of the nurse to slap you! You only do that in extreme cases of screaming! I can understand that you feel confused and more than likely a little ashmed!
When the body has enough it passes out!
Everybody reacts different to high and low blood sugar! Hope this helps!

High and Low Blood Sugar Symptoms
Knowing and understanding the symptoms of high and low blood sugar should be essential for both diabetics and their friends and families.

Symptoms of high blood sugar
Hyperglycaemia, or high blood sugar, is common amongst diabetics. It occurs when a diabetic person eats too much food, and has too little insulin to regulate their blood sugar. Sometimes stress can cause diabetes.

Being aware of the following symptoms and staying alert for their presence, whether you are a diabetic or a family member or friend, should be essential:

Need for frequent urination
Drowsiness
Nausea
Extreme hunger and/or thirst
Blurring of the vision
Symptoms of low blood sugar
Hypoglycaemia, or low blood sugar, occurs when a diabetic has not eaten enough food, or has too much insulin within his or her body. An excessive amount of exercise can also cause low blood sugar levels.

Being aware of the following symptoms and staying alert for their presence, whether you are a diabetic or a family member or friend, should be essential:

Shaking
Fast heartbeat
Sweating
Anxiety
Dizziness
Extreme hunger
Weakness and tiredness
Irritability

Sandy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Low Bg can cause bad behaviour too. T1 husband once seriously hurt my wrist as I was trying to get some glucotabs into his mouth. The hospital should know that. i also oncwe witnessed a hypo diabetic being brought into casualty, sweqaring, cursing and thumping the paramedics.
Of course a charming apology to the nurse in question wouldn't go amiss, perhaps with chocolates? 8)
Hana

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Tiger, wasn't sure whether the 30s bg number was before or after the incident. If it was after, this could be the result of a really bad hypo, when your liver kicks in to save the day (and you!). "Unreasonable" behaviour during a hypo does occur sometimes and can be quite out of character so neither your fault nor the nurse's.

About a year after diagnosis (aged 15) my parents had to call an ambulance when I couldn't be roused in the morning. I have no recollection at all, but apparently it took 4 paramedics sitting on me to restrain me. I saw the result of this violence after returning home from hospital, my bedroom looked like a tornado had struck. Unpleasant for all concerned.

As Hana says, a box of chocs might do the trick, but also worth writing a letter to the hospital manager. Shocking that none of this has been explained to you in hospital though, you'd assume they know "all" about this sort of thing...

Tiger

Dislikes
got my own room and they di um and r about it but my consultant is good friends with family and they say it fine but no to mobile were as rest of hospital is fine some staff okay with it others ask me to turn it off but as rule your right not really ment to but sometimes you no the right people they pull few strings

Tiger

Dislikes
No been told to change things round a bit change life they say exercise is good but over doing it really always had bad health whole life some for or other when i was 21 i weighed 22 stone of pure fat lol by 25 i was down to 14 stone from 46 inch waist to 32 inch at the same time as battling with chronic asthma i prob spend 2 weeks out of every 6 in hospital with my chest in feb my wife was taken in fatal crash so i went to the gym every day and started working out with a diet of high protien food shakes lots of bread for energy.

I've gained, weight has gone from 13stone in feb to 16 half to date of muscle and im now 38 inch waist but somthing gone wrong ive also been on metformin for 3 years and my body that i thought was in good shape has actually made it self worse the over exercise has overloaded my body and everything coming to grinding halt they advise no more body building dont really understand it but slowly getting it.

sandymaynard

Hi Tiger,
i am so sorry for the loss of your wife! Now onder that your body has gone into overdrive!
Too much exercise can cause problems in itself as your body is not prepared for the amount it is going to lose!
Congratulations on the weight loss! That is good! The whole effect of going to the gym means that you need to prepare for that! Do you allow yourself healthy snacks just in case blood sugar's drop?
Thing that i can say is that maybe the body building has used up all your stores with in your body! You need to follow medical advice! Try to get your health back on track them try gentle exercise!
I am not that much into gym's as i don't like being around too many people i get scared! But i am sure someone will come along soon and offer sound advice of where you go from here!
Take care
Sandy

nmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect there is a direct link between argumentative / violent behaviour, memory loss and high blood sugar levels based on my own experiences. From what I have been reading it doesn't appear to be a very common side effect and I can't find much information on it.

Does anyone have any more information on this subject ?