Potassium levels too high maybe due to too many bananas

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm recently diagnosed with type 2 but do not need medication. I watched my sugar and fat levels before my last fasting test and everything was reasonably ok but my kidney function, which when I asked was due to too high potassium levels. After discussing this was my diabetic nurse we discovered I was eating too many bananas. Now waiting too take test again but due to other meds for anxiety I am always hungry and am now sick of crackers and desparate for sweet stuff. Anyone else out there having same problems.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are foods that have more potassium than bananas so how sure are you that it is the bananas and any way bananas have a highish sugar content so would not eat too many for that reason.

Some foods that can contain higher levels of potassium are:

Sweet potato 542 mg of potassium (for one medium-sized, baked sweet potato).
Spinach 839 mg of potassium per cup
Yogurt standard 8oz serving contains 579 mg of potassium
White beans 502 mg of potassium in half a cup
Avocado 487 mg of potassium contained in half the fruit.

So if you have been eating any of those that could be a contributing factor.

And hi and welcome to the forum yes I have a hard time with the sweet stuff so allow my self an occasional treat now I have lost weight and have my BG more controlled.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @ruthduf and welcome to the forum.

I see that you have been given basic advice from daisy1 on your other thread.
I would ask if you are testing your blood sugar levels or relying on an HBA1c to say that your levels are reasonably?
You may find that if you are not testing then you do not know what is going on when you eat bananas as your HBA1c is an average rather than doing your own tests, which give a snapshot of how your blood sugars are behaving throughout the day.

If you are desperate for sweet stuff then I would recommend that you look at this blog, it belongs to one of our member @ewelina. There are recipes for sweet stuff that are fabulous.
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com

Make sure that you follow up on the potassium tests as this could be linked to your kidney function.

Reactions: 4 people

lindisfel

Expert
Some meds can increase potassium. Spironolactone and Eplerenone for eg which are potassium sparing diuretics. Potassium and sodium interact in the body to maintain correct bp and tissue electrolytes. It is usually quite difficult to get the recommended 4700mg of potassium/day. Of course if kidney problems are involved it messes up the whole shooting match. Derek

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea and coffee are surprisingly high in potassium as well.

lindisfel

Expert
I have my potassium checked regular due to medication and an adrenal tumour. It is surprisingly difficult to get the correct reading and if the blood is agitated in tube or took immediately from vein it can read higher than it really is.See on net about taking potassium bloods. D.

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an electrolyte wasting disease, and get my potassium checked regularly. There's quite a few things that can give you a false high, such as
Putting the tourniquet on too tight or leaving it on too long
Making a fist whilst your blood is being taken -avoid
If your arm is in an upward position - lie it flat
If the blood sample hangs around in the surgery before being transported to the lab - for this reason I never have a late afternoon appointment
Rupture of blood cells into the sample by the blood being banged about in the tube, either in the surgery or centrifuge.

The serum potassium test is the most common one for false highs.

Reactions: 2 people

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm recently diagnosed with type 2 but do not need medication. I watched my sugar and fat levels before my last fasting test and everything was reasonably ok but my kidney function, which when I asked was due to too high potassium levels. After discussing this was my diabetic nurse we discovered I was eating too many bananas. Now waiting too take test again but due to other meds for anxiety I am always hungry and am now sick of crackers and desparate for sweet stuff. Anyone else out there having same problems.

Hi there,
Most here seem to think that your blood test was wrong! I don't, you appear to admit to eating bananas.
I've been in the same position as you and had to cut the half banana per day that I ate for breakfast. It was easy for me as I just ate something else for breakfast. You need a snack not a whole meal.

I don't do snacks if I can help it, particularly something with carbs. If I do need something I usually have cheese or nuts/seeds but you sound as if you need something sweet.

Anything sweet will up your carb intake and spoil your blood sugars, maybe try filling up on non carb snacks and add a piece of 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate to finish. You can get this from most supermarkets but Aldi do a great one at just over £1 per bar. You could also grate a small amount over some full fat Greek style yoghurt to eat as a dessert, maybe then you won't need a snack!

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are foods that have more potassium than bananas so how sure are you that it is the bananas and any way bananas have a highish sugar content so would not eat too many for that reason.

Some foods that can contain higher levels of potassium are:

Sweet potato 542 mg of potassium (for one medium-sized, baked sweet potato).
Spinach 839 mg of potassium per cup
Yogurt standard 8oz serving contains 579 mg of potassium
White beans 502 mg of potassium in half a cup
Avocado 487 mg of potassium contained in half the fruit.

So if you have been eating any of those that could be a contributing factor.

And hi and welcome to the forum yes I have a hard time with the sweet stuff so allow my self an occasional treat now I have lost weight and have my BG more controlled.
Hi, thanks for that info but the only thing I have of that list is fat free yogurt, but have just had another blood test and will see what that shows. I've had nooooooooo bananas at all since my last test.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some meds can increase potassium. Spironolactone and Eplerenone for eg which are potassium sparing diuretics. Potassium and sodium interact in the body to maintain correct bp and tissue electrolytes. It is usually quite difficult to get the recommended 4700mg of potassium/day. Of course if kidney problems are involved it messes up the whole shooting match. Derek
I'm on a load of meds for anxiety but my would know that , I also take statins. Have just taken another blood and urine test so will see what that shows.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @ruthduf and welcome to the forum.

I see that you have been given basic advice from daisy1 on your other thread.
I would ask if you are testing your blood sugar levels or relying on an HBA1c to say that your levels are reasonably?
You may find that if you are not testing then you do not know what is going on when you eat bananas as your HBA1c is an average rather than doing your own tests, which give a snapshot of how your blood sugars are behaving throughout the day.

If you are desperate for sweet stuff then I would recommend that you look at this blog, it belongs to one of our member @ewelina. There are recipes for sweet stuff that are fabulous.
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com

Make sure that you follow up on the potassium tests as this could be linked to your kidney function.
Thanks for info but am not testing blood sugar levels only once every three months by diabetic nurse. Have just taken another blood and urine test today so will see what happens.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tea and coffee are surprisingly high in potassium as well.
Hi there,
Most here seem to think that your blood test was wrong! I don't, you appear to admit to eating bananas.
I've been in the same position as you and had to cut the half banana per day that I ate for breakfast. It was easy for me as I just ate something else for breakfast. You need a snack not a whole meal.

I don't do snacks if I can help it, particularly something with carbs. If I do need something I usually have cheese or nuts/seeds but you sound as if you need something sweet.

Anything sweet will up your carb intake and spoil your blood sugars, maybe try filling up on non carb snacks and add a piece of 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate to finish. You can get this from most supermarkets but Aldi do a great one at just over £1 per bar. You could also grate a small amount over some full fat Greek style yoghurt to eat as a dessert, maybe then you won't need a snack!
Thanks for your reply I have just taken another urine and blood test so will see what that shows. Noooooo bananas since last test.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have an electrolyte wasting disease, and get my potassium checked regularly. There's quite a few things that can give you a false high, such as
Putting the tourniquet on too tight or leaving it on too long
Making a fist whilst your blood is being taken -avoid
If your arm is in an upward position - lie it flat
If the blood sample hangs around in the surgery before being transported to the lab - for this reason I never have a late afternoon appointment
Rupture of blood cells into the sample by the blood being banged about in the tube, either in the surgery or centrifuge.

The serum potassium test is the most common one for false highs.
Thanks for info I've just taken another blood and urine test sowill see that that shows.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

Thanks for info and have just had another urine and blood test so will see what that shows but have had no bananas since last test. I'm on a load of meds for anxiety and they make you hungry so its a real struggle until I get use to not snacking. I have non fat yogurt for desert with either several grapes or blueberries. If I bought dark chocolate which I love I couldn't have just a small amount it would drive me mad knowing it was in the fridge.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask why you are eating low fat products? Is there a medical problem that warrants this? If you can, switch to the real thing - full fat yogurts, butter, cream, real mayo etc. Good fats fill you up and stop you feeling hungry. Also, low fat products are often stuffed with extra sugar to make them taste better. There is no need to go overboard on fats and dairy, just swap any low fat ones for the real thing.

Grapes are also difficult for diabetics, as is most fruit. Berries are fine in small quantities, and maybe a small apple. Chhese is good to nibble on for a snack, also nuts. Crackers are not always a wise choice.

I really advise you to buy a meter. It is the ONLY way to learn which foods are keeping your blood sugars up. There is no other way. We test before we eat and again a couple of hours later. It is the actual rise that matters. Too high a rise and that food needs attention - either by avoiding it or reducing the portions. If you buy one, and I really advise you to, we can help you understand what is what.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, I am currently eating one banana in the mornings,,this is still green on the skin,,,as I cannot stand banana's that have gone yellow all the way and smell sickly,,,yuk,yuk,yuk,,,I am using the banana as a means of keeping my innards working,,,as well as having my favourite live yogurts from Longley Farm in Yorkshire,,,these are great and really filling,,,, I agree with what has been posted, that getting the right balance is so important,,and in this cold weather it is even more so,,,,to everybody keep going and maintaining the good nature of this site,,I like coming in,,,ttfn from Karen.