Ok..now I can't get my head around this at all...

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
@Finsky Your tiredness could be due to a shortage of Iron and vitamin B12 you will need a blood test to check.
I was feeling like that after 2 months on hospital food yuk! An injection from the doc made me feel better. I now include Liver and Marmite in my diet to keep my levels up.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Finsky Your tiredness could be due to a shortage of Iron and vitamin B12 you will need a blood test to check.
I was feeling like that after 2 months on hospital food yuk! An injection from the doc made me feel better. I now include Liver and Marmite in my diet to keep my levels up.
Thanks...I think many deficiencies would manifest those symptoms, indeed those too that you've mentioned. I think I can exclude vitamin deficiency..though of course it could still be entirely possible. I've covered my vitamin and mineral intake quite well. I admit doing quite vigorous supplement regime...very thorough with that for looooooong time. And all because I've am quite seasonal eater and can't other wise getting everything needed from my diet all year round.
I rather swallow any amount of supplements than result eating marmite!!!!!:eek::facepalm::yuck:...........;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That reminds me have to get another jar of Marmite finished the last one off days ago thanks.:)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well...I had good session with carbs this morning.....'burb'....and I can tell I've totally gone off from 'normal' bread...so I won't have to hunger after that anymore....though trifle is different thing altogether....;)...it was yummy!
Because I did feel really fuelled up and I felt disgusted with all the 'rubbish' I had eaten...what did I do...I went to allotment for some hard physical labour :rolleyes: I lasted 4 hours and all of the sudden I just ran out of steam...I had to ask hubby to clear my tools away..didn't have no energy left...MY FAULT..should not pushed myself.
So now I had to have another carb 'fuel up':rolleyes:....everything tastes so sweet! :yuck: Another lesson learnt...'have the medicine and wait it to work and make you better before rushing to do everything and anything in one go'!

Dinkeroon

...so ideas please!?When did you last speak to your Diabetes Team or have some bloods done to make sure you are not carrying any infection as this will probably explain the cold feelings. Your rash could be thrush as Diabetics are prone to this, yes under the bust I suffered from it years ago. The aching in your muscles will usually come from High Bloods rather then low. I really don't understand this diet that you are on it is bad to totally starve a body let alone a Diabetic one. surely eating sensibly is the way to loose weight not starving yourself and then putting it back on when you start to eat again. A well balanced diet will even out your blood sugars. Listen to your body. I know that all this probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps.

I started lowering my carb intake some time before I 'officially' started following LCHF diet about 9 weeks ago...8 weeks everything went BRLIANTLY...blood sugars came crashing down and I had to lower my insulin intake drastically, even had odd day without need for insulin at all...and then I had few days slightly higher readings and I could not explain any reason for them at all...so I decided to take matter further and try fasting. It wasn't very pleasant experience...managed nearly 4 days, out of them day 3 I was feeling normal and highly energetic...but even then my blood sugars didn't really come down that much...in higher end of normal range most of the time.
I thought...yep, it must be the excess from stores that is coming out....I knew I was producing ketones...I've had ketone breath some time now, even before starting the fast:rolleyes: And then came the 4th fasting day...managed just about half day and I just couldn't do it anymore...but my blood glucose levels were not that low!?
So now I've been back into solids....thought still eating VERY carefully and only very small amounts and within LCHF guide lines..though on the very low end of the carb intake...and the ketone breath is not going away:rolleyes:
What is bothering me...I cannot get my blood sugars back down again...I walk, I do physical stuff...everything like I did before when I had constant brilliant test results and now I'm lucky to even get down to 6! I don't feel particularly hungry, nor thirsty, eye sight fine, blood pressure fine....but I'm feeling the cold weather when outside and I don't feel warm inside neither. Sometimes I have been testing my blood thinking I must be having low bloodsugar levels..it is almost like I have hypo coming on...little achy feeling on arms like I would have done something to make my muscles tender day before...BUT I haven't!
And now I've got this rash under my armpit and under my boobies....cannot explain that neither!? I haven't used any new products, don't usually react anything that way. I've taken antihistamin last couple of days incase it is allergic reaction...but it doesn't have no effect. And even then my blood sugars have been up before this rash....just thought to mention it as it is only thing that is obvious being different with me....oh and yes, I've lost weight over these months, that too is different;)
I don't feel I have cold coming anything like that, just little achy..feeling cold..and 'rashy'!?

I just can't figure out what to do...I've taken some insulin to bring my 'sugars' into higher end of the normal range..but now I feel like everything is going backwards...!? And my fasting was supposed to help me...:mad: I still carry on extended fasting hours like before total fasting...but it doesn't come as easily now...I'm really watching the time all the time as I feel I'm ready for little something to eat, but not really hungry as such:banghead:
So any thoughts....is there something 'going around' that I should be aware...maybe I'm turning into :borg::nailbiting:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
...so ideas please!?

I started lowering my carb intake some time before I 'officially' started following LCHF diet about 9 weeks ago...8 weeks everything went BRLIANTLY...blood sugars came crashing down and I had to lower my insulin intake drastically, even had odd day without need for insulin at all...and then I had few days slightly higher readings and I could not explain any reason for them at all...so I decided to take matter further and try fasting. It wasn't very pleasant experience...managed nearly 4 days, out of them day 3 I was feeling normal and highly energetic...but even then my blood sugars didn't really come down that much...in higher end of normal range most of the time.
I thought...yep, it must be the excess from stores that is coming out....I knew I was producing ketones...I've had ketone breath some time now, even before starting the fast:rolleyes: And then came the 4th fasting day...managed just about half day and I just couldn't do it anymore...but my blood glucose levels were not that low!?
So now I've been back into solids....thought still eating VERY carefully and only very small amounts and within LCHF guide lines..though on the very low end of the carb intake...and the ketone breath is not going away:rolleyes:
What is bothering me...I cannot get my blood sugars back down again...I walk, I do physical stuff...everything like I did before when I had constant brilliant test results and now I'm lucky to even get down to 6! I don't feel particularly hungry, nor thirsty, eye sight fine, blood pressure fine....but I'm feeling the cold weather when outside and I don't feel warm inside neither. Sometimes I have been testing my blood thinking I must be having low bloodsugar levels..it is almost like I have hypo coming on...little achy feeling on arms like I would have done something to make my muscles tender day before...BUT I haven't!
And now I've got this rash under my armpit and under my boobies....cannot explain that neither!? I haven't used any new products, don't usually react anything that way. I've taken antihistamin last couple of days incase it is allergic reaction...but it doesn't have no effect. And even then my blood sugars have been up before this rash....just thought to mention it as it is only thing that is obvious being different with me....oh and yes, I've lost weight over these months, that too is different;)
I don't feel I have cold coming anything like that, just little achy..feeling cold..and 'rashy'!?

I just can't figure out what to do...I've taken some insulin to bring my 'sugars' into higher end of the normal range..but now I feel like everything is going backwards...!? And my fasting was supposed to help me...:mad: I still carry on extended fasting hours like before total fasting...but it doesn't come as easily now...I'm really watching the time all the time as I feel I'm ready for little something to eat, but not really hungry as such:banghead:
So any thoughts....is there something 'going around' that I should be aware...maybe I'm turning into :borg::nailbiting:
@Finsky have a read up on PIR (physiological insulin resistance) it might show some light.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No...thrush it was not...I know what that is like and what part of body it will usually turns up..;) Rash did disappear as quickly as the rest of my symptoms. It was indeed PIR and remedied by 3 days of high carbohydrate intake...to feed those muscles again. (thanks @ickihun...Brunneria alerted me to it too).
There is nothing wrong doing LCHF diet...nor doing fasting...or any very restrictive diet for short time. I'm on a mission to get myself as low medication levels as possible, even being medication free is something I dare to dream about..and that's why (just like many other members here), we experiment with out bodies and push some boundaries to see where it takes us with our 'inner workings'. Asking advise from 'health professionals' from these matter is proven to be waste of space...in many cases they are not up to their jobs or allowed/dare to venture out of NHS guidelines that has never improved my diabetes..totally opposite in fact.

As for a update for my 'situation' ...high carb intake was rapid remedy and I feel totally normal again....well, of course my blood sugar levels have taken some abuse, but that was expected and is something I'm working on again :rolleyes: They are getting back to single figures again...slooooooowly..and I'm back LCHF eating with daily IF as well....all good! I will let my body to settle down for few weeks before pushing my boundaries again ;)...hoping it was just one off body 'blip'.
I have blood tests booked up for next week and my appointment in hospital to see D.nurse in two weeks time. It is supposed to be appointment for a 'new medication training'...:rolleyes:....but it is something I have already proven and have evidence for, that I won't be needing so it is going to be interesting conversation ahead. Doctor's are so 'prescription easy' and very keen to add more meds on top of another. OK....no more rattle to that direction....I soon get into rant zone again.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting! I've only skimmed through this thread as I'm reading it at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night...

But, I've found that if I reduce the size of my meals too much or try fasting for more than a few days, my glucose levels will usually start going up a bit and then start bouncing around instead of staying nice and stable. I've never actually looked for a cause but just accepted that my body isn't happy with the situation and is telling me it's time to stop messing around and just carry on with my normal low carb eating. I'd sort of assumed it was just me! :wideyed:

I'll have to come back for a proper read later on.

Robbity
When i tried fasting, I too got the bgl bounces. It was due to liver dump, which is the body saying 'Feed me Seymour, Feed me' I now have a light carb break fast and my problem has gone away, without any major bgl spikes.

Reactions: 5 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Finsky

I think you should go back to what worked so well for you for those eight weeks and be patient for a few weeks and I think you will find it will get you back on track. I would ditch the fasting as that wasn't part of what was successful for you. There will always be plateaus but you found a successful diet that worked very well and got impatient when you had a slow week or two.

You already have a template that has been successful for you so I would give it another go

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i first read about PIR on this Forum someone had translated it to read psychological instead of physical, so I thought to myself NAH! Not me. However this thread has triggered my curiosity, so I researched a bit, and now I am in agreement with what I read. It makes sense, and ties in with the research into the Krebs Cycle (Citric cycle) that I did when I was first DX'ed. There are many 'switches' that control how glucogen gets stored into fat cells (insulin) or used by muscles for energy (adrenalin), but there are other signals that the body generates to switch between ketogenic and normal mode, and also the emergency buttons that promote liver dump, dawn phenomenon, and it would seem PIR, It makes total sense that the body would react in this way.
In my case it would explain why I feel the need to have a light carb break fast, and why i still need to keep some of my Gliclazide running. I have not suffered PIR myself, but then again I am not going into serious keto mode. i just rumble along gently doing things and getting results that i and my team are happy with. I get my HbA1c result later this week, so will know how I am doing on reduced meds. I see my DSN next week too.

Reactions: 4 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Finsky

I think you should go back to what worked so well for you for those eight weeks and be patient for a few weeks and I think you will find it will get you back on track. I would ditch the fasting as that wasn't part of what was successful for you. There will always be plateaus but you found a successful diet that worked very well and got impatient when you had a slow week or two.

You already have a template that has been successful for you so I would give it another go
Oh I agree with you...and indeed I have gone back to 'proven recipe'...it just takes that little bit time to get it working again..:rolleyes:
As for fasting...well, we see about that...I did it successfully many, many years ago..and longer periods than this time, though admittedly I wasn't officially diabetic then.
I have bad habit for always questioning and trialling many things...sometimes too stubbornly so until know for definite something is not to be done...:rolleyes:...and knowing myself...I doubt fasting trials are not over yet neither. IF does suit me...that much I'm certain..14-16 hrs fasting comes quite naturally as with LCHF diet does keep hunger away for hours!
But like I said...I will get myself back in track first before venturing to do anything else...I'll be a good girl...promise...;)

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I have been on thyroxine for about thirty years, and I was not aware that it had any noticeable effect on diabetes.
You learn something new every day:bookworm:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on thyroxine for about thirty years, and I was not aware that it had any noticeable effect on diabetes.
You learn something new every day:bookworm:
The thyroid gland has major impact on metabolism and appetite, so a lack of thyroxin is bound to have some effect. It also affects weight control.
To quote an article on the web:
Hypothyroidism in adults results in decreased metabolic rate. This causes symptoms which include fatigue, intolerance of cold temperatures, low heart rate, weight gain, reduced appetite, poor memory, stiffness of muscles and infertility.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The thyroid gland has major impact on metabolism and appetite, so a lack of thyroxin is bound to have some effect. It also affects weight control.
To quote an article on the web:
Hypothyroidism in adults results in decreased metabolic rate. This causes symptoms which include fatigue, intolerance of cold temperatures, low heart rate, weight gain, reduced appetite, poor memory, stiffness of muscles and infertility.
I read from somewhere just other day that type2 diabetics should be routinely tested for thyroid function as there was indication that many with lower end of thyroid function, if not already diabetics, they may develop to be one.
Sorry, can't be anymore precise about it...it was mention in some paper when I was skimming through lot of info..:rolleyes:

heather_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
cant help the blood can help the rash. dDONT put talcum powder near it.had the same thing a frend told me about corn starch we call it corn flour. it works great a good srub DRY WELL you can even use a hair dryer to get realy dry ideal with limited mobility pat on corn starch with powder puff use lots feels like real luxury . been a diabetic since the eighties and this has helped lots of us. wonderfull in the summer even in shoes. do this every day rash gone in no time espediallt under the boobs. lots of luck just persivere(my spelling is getting worse tonight)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please explain what PIR is ?

:)
See post #11 on this thread.
The important thing to remember is that PIR is not harmful (at least I can't find any creditable references to it being harmful) and it is a good indicator that you are on top of your low carbing and suggests that you will have a GREAT HbA1c.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for everybody's kind interest for my rash....but since people seem to miss my post where I already updated my health concerns...I shall update the rash situation now separately.
I can confirm that my rash wasn't fungal....any kind of ! And it has already cleared...it cleared as quickly as my body aches did. I can only make guesses what it was, but main thing is that it has gone now. :)