Shepards pie

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey everyone looking to cook a shepards pie for dinner! Has anyone got any tips how I could change the recipe to make it low carb.

Thanks

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Grated cauliflower instead of mashed potato. I was highly doubting before I tried it, but it really does work.

Kate

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks does Cheese have an effect on blood sugars!

Everyone is different so you would have to test your own bodies reactions, some people do react to the natural sugars in milk/cheese. Luckily I don't but I will get a small rise in BGL if I eat a lot of cheese, I do love cheese :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hey everyone looking to cook a shepards pie for dinner! Has anyone got any tips how I could change the recipe to make it low carb.

Thanks

Some low-carbers use Celeriac as a substitute for potato's, I've seen it around in shops like Morrison's & Lidl.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use celeriac and cauliflower cooked together for the topping I season it and mash it up with some grated cheese. Some use sweet potato and they are good with it so ok if you can eat it without raising your BG you would have to test to know that

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using cauliflower instead of potato is a very nice substitute that I used to use. To be fair very few people noticed the difference in my shepherds pie when I used cauliflower instead of potato and it was always popular at pot lucks etc.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi i use a mixture of sweet potato and celeriac then cover in a mixture of hard cheeses whatever i have in then cook on high in oven on a high heat delicious