Got a diabetic clinic appointment today!

sandymaynard

Okay just had a phone call from doctor! Just been told that i need to see diabetic nurse early wasnot meant to see her for two weeks!
I had several blood tests done! The fasting was okay! and the other bloods were fine, My urine showed that i also have protien in it! And it smells something awful the doctor says bladder infection! And a little glucose!

But my cholesterol has shot up from 4.0 to 5.8! Okay this has scared me a little as the doctor said that this is dangerous mixed with the diabeties!
Should i be worried or just take it one step at a time?
My appointment is at 5pm! So i am worried as anything!
I have been keeping a diary of food eaten and BG tests!

My worst one was yesterday! Went out for hen night with some friends! We had beef chow mein! My BG shot up from 7.0 to 28 with in 3 hours! Luckly it has come down again! But i don't understand the high rise!
I havenot eaten rice or pasta or potatoes atc in such a long time! well since feb of this year! It was only a small amount of noodles that i had! The other thing i have found really strange! I can't drink black coffee or tea anymore as it makes me sick!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sandymaynard,

A increase in your cholesterol from 4.0 to 5.8 is a big jump. Your doctor is right about cholesterol and diabetes, my consultant every time emphasises the importance of keeping low figures.

Diet is the major cause of high cholesterol, is your diet healthy? I mean are you eating low-fat foods and plenty of fruit and vegtables. Many swear by the cholesterol lowering drinks that are advertised, although I can't speak from experience. My oldest brother went for a check about 12 months back and was found to have a cholesterol level of 9. As he loved cheese and fatty meats, he was advised to cut these out or reduce them, and also given a small statin tablet to take, his last test back in October was 3.5, so the doctors advice was good!

Small changes are sometimes all it takes, hope your appointment goes well, and I am sure someone will be along to answer your chow mein question.

Regards

Nigel

sandymaynard

Hi Nigel,
I follow low carb diet!
Other than the odd treat! Nothing else! Idon't have milk as allergic! Have the odd bit of cheese! Have the odd couple of teaspoons of yougut! I follow healthy as i can! No cake biscuits,no bread, potatoes,rice,noodles other than the other night!
I try to have exercise as well! It scares me that this jump is so big! The only meat i eat is chicken Or the odd bit of cheese! Christmas day i will have turkey!
i try to avoid alot of things! I check carb content before i eat anything!
Thank youf ro your advice Nigel
Sandy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Sandy,

Chicken and turkey shouldn't be a problem provided that they are cooked healthy. I was on a course recently and the nurse who was in charge sang the praises of Benecol yogurt, saying it had help to bring down her cholesterol. Maybe worth googling 'foods that help lower cholesterol' and see what comes up.

I have taken a one-a-day high strength garlic tablet by Kwai for the last 15 years. I started taking this supplement after reading about the health benefits of garlic. It supposedly is good for heart health and helps to maintain or lower cholesterol levels. As I say, that's what I have read; my last cholesterol check was 3.4, although I do eat like my buttered toast and occasional slice of cheese. Overall, I do stick to a healthy diet........honest!!! :wink:

Regards

Nigel

sandymaynard

Hi Nigel,
The Diabetic nurse said that she would prefer to wait for next batch of bloods before bringing pills in! She said about the yougut! Problem is i could not eat a whole one! Even a small one i would be sick! Because it contains milk!
I would love some butter on Toast! Oh Yummy! Oh you are so lucky to have the butter on toast!
I have thought of taking the garlic pill but it the thought of garlic breath!
Sandy

xxxhenry

noblehead said:
Hi Sandy,

Chicken and turkey shouldn't be a problem provided that they are cooked healthy. I was on a course recently and the nurse who was in charge sang the praises of Benecol yogurt, saying it had help to bring down her cholesterol. Maybe worth googling 'foods that help lower cholesterol' and see what comes up.

I have taken a one-a-day high strength garlic tablet by Kwai for the last 15 years. I started taking this supplement after reading about the health benefits of garlic. It supposedly is good for heart health and helps to maintain or lower cholesterol levels. As I say, that's what I have read; my last cholesterol check was 3.4, although I do eat like my buttered toast and occasional slice of cheese. Overall, I do stick to a healthy diet........honest!!! :wink:

Regards

Nigel

hello n
im type 2
my cho was 7 last time
can u tell me where i can get the garlic tablet u mentioned
sorry to bother u
thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
xxxhenry

Of course I can, but first of all can I ask if you have discussed your cholesterol level with your doctor? I mean, was your test carried out at your doctors surgery or at a chemist?

Presuming it was at your doctors surgery, I would first of all discuss with your GP ways in which to bring your figure down. There are ways to do this by combining meds and diet which are very effective indeed, and your doc will know which is best according to your past and present medical conditions. Therefore, if you have not seen your GP, make a appointment to be seen.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, garlic is supposedly good for heart health and cholesterol, and as I am not medically qualified, I cannot say that it is correct. I was merely stating that I have taken garlic tablets for 15 years, and this may have contributed to my low cholesterol level, as I say I cannot say for definite. However, should you wish to purchase Kwai one-a-day tablets, you can buy them from most high street chemists or supermarkets.

Regards

Nigel

IanS

sandymaynard said:
I would love some butter on Toast! Oh Yummy! Oh you are so lucky to have the butter on toast!

I have found that Bertolli (sp?) spread is a every bit as good as butter. And being olive oil based keeps my dietician happy as well.

IanS

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sandy

sandymaynard said:
Hi Nigel,
The Diabetic nurse said that she would prefer to wait for next batch of bloods before bringing pills in! She said about the yougut! Problem is i could not eat a whole one! Even a small one i would be sick! Because it contains milk!
I have thought of taking the garlic pill but it the thought of garlic breath!
Sandy

Yeah, I do love buttered toast, all in moderation of course! Garlic breath....well I have not noticed, and my wife hasn't said anything! The difference between the garlic tablets and garlic pearl's, is that the tablets are coated and are guaranteed not to leave a garlic taste. I always take mine with a glass of cold water prior to eating.

Regards

Nigel

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandy - long time no speak!!

I started to take a benecol drink to try and help with the cholesterol to see if I could ditch my statin! Anyway, the problem with all of these type of things, for diabetics too, is that they are almost always sweetened with various sweeteners. Now then, calorie wise that helps but NOT if you have IBS - this has very much hampered me in trying to sort out a good diet. Anyway, the ingredient in the benecol/flora items is plant sterols and I have recently discovered that you can get a supplement of plant sterols. I cannot vouch for it because I have not been on it long enough but I think it is worth a try for any of us diabetics. Dont think I am allowed tp say where I have got these tablets from but guess a search for plant sterols will bring up a relevant seller!

I was really pleased to think that I had found something to help my cholesterol but after taking the drink for a few days my guts went worse and I could not understand why - so, I checked the ingredients - bad news again. So if anyone else is having bowel troubles look at what you are eating in terms of processed foods - so much "ordinary" food is sweetened with sweetener these days so it may not be our drugs giving us trouble but the "legal" sweeteners!!

Happy Christmas - love Jude x

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
P.S. Me again - you can get odour controlled garlic pills - there are quite a variety around.