Another Testing Question

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi, wonder if someone might be able to tell me when testing and doing the test before you eat and then 2 hours after dinner does it make a significant difference to the result if you're nibbling on something in those 2 hours. Like I had dinner today ( before eating 7.7...lowest I've ever been so happy! haha ) and around 30 mins afterwards had a small handful of cashew nuts, will they be reflected in the result or does it take 2 hours for the glucose to show up when you've eaten something, like they will show 2 hours 3 mins after? Even as I'm typing it that sounds ridiculous, I guess Im just trying to work all this out still. Need to find somewhere that shows me how I count carbs too, and how many a day is safe to eat. Thanks folks x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The simple answer is, if there are any carbs in those nuts, yes, it will affect your reading.
It takes less than 2 hours for the glucose to show up (in normal circumstances). With some foods it takes hardly any time at all - bananas for example. By 2 hours you should be past your peak and well on the way down. The timing of the peaks vary according to what you have eaten, but generally speaking, you start to rise within the first half an hour and continue rising for approximately 90 minutes, then start to fall. This is very general. If you want to catch your peak after a meal, you need to test half hourly until satisfied. The 2 hour rule is only a rough guideline.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have added that a good book (also available as an app) is Carbs & Cals, available from Amazon. Thousands of every day food stuffs, all photographed in serving sizes, with weights, carbs, calories, protein, fat and fibre contents.

As for how many carbs, how long is a piece of string. We each have our own personal carb tolerances. Some fair better than others. You will discover yours in time, but you need to keep a food diary and note the number of carbs in your meal. Then record your levels alongside. If your rise is too big, try again with smaller portions.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
The simple answer is, if there are any carbs in those nuts, yes, it will affect your reading.
It takes less than 2 hours for the glucose to show up (in normal circumstances). With some foods it takes hardly any time at all - bananas for example. By 2 hours you should be past your peak and well on the way down. The timing of the peaks vary according to what you have eaten, but generally speaking, you start to rise within the first half an hour and continue rising for approximately 90 minutes, then start to fall. This is very general. If you want to catch your peak after a meal, you need to test half hourly until satisfied. The 2 hour rule is only a rough guideline.

I figured that would be right, Ok so best then to not eat anything after meals to get an accurate reading...I'm just about to take my test now actually, fingers crossed for that! Thank you and will have a look for the book you mentioned. xx

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Simply, yes, if it contains sugar or carbs.

If you are keeping a food diary, a lone reading doesn't mean that much.
It is a way of seeing what types of food you can or cannot tolerate, ones that effect your blood glucose levels.
When you have enough data after several months, you can see patterns and decide which foods help with your average blood glucose levels.
You will also see how well you are doing in getting your fasting hba1c levels down.
This will help decisions if shown to your GP or dsn.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would imagine it does - but I'm new here too ...!

Cashews are nuts with highest carbs I found recently - this chart http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts is useful

Haha, ok thats just typical me, pick the ones with the highest carb!! I'm actually looking for a replacement for crisps to which I had a bad addiction, more so than sweet things actually...ahh well the search continues, I did hear someone say something out Kale and oven baking tossed in olive oil until its crispy so might give that a go. I have honestly never cooked so many things from scratch as I have done these past couple of weeks since diagnosis, I quite enjoy it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha, ok thats just typical me, pick the ones with the highest carb!! I'm actually looking for a replacement for crisps to which I had a bad addiction, more so than sweet things actually...ahh well the search continues, I did hear someone say something out Kale and oven baking tossed in olive oil until its crispy so might give that a go. I have honestly never cooked so many things from scratch as I have done these past couple of weeks since diagnosis, I quite enjoy it!

If your teeth are strong, try pork scratchings. Zero carb.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Simply, yes, if it contains sugar or carbs.

If you are keeping a food diary, a lone reading doesn't mean that much.
It is a way of seeing what types of food you can or cannot tolerate, ones that effect your blood glucose levels.
When you have enough data after several months, you can see patterns and decide which foods help with your average blood glucose levels.
You will also see how well you are doing in getting your fasting hba1c levels down.
This will help decisions if shown to your GP or dsn.

Yeah I guess I do need to start doing that, Ive made some dramatic changes to my diet in the past couple of weeks but I've not been logging them. I do need to work out properly which amount of carbs a day is going to work for me, and if I can pick and choose where I get those carbs from, like yesterdays Sunday roast I had a small roast potato with it, I felt that my carb intake had been relatively low so I could have it without the worry, but honestly I don't even really know how it works yet. I will keep on learning, thank goodness for this place to be honest.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing isn't it @TracyC when you are forced to cook! I enjoy it too, learning new stuff. Many people I know like Kale crisps - or you could try Parmesan ones, just grate, form into small mounds and then bake in the oven.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Amazing isn't it @TracyC when you are forced to cook! I enjoy it too, learning new stuff. Many people I know like Kale crisps - or you could try Parmesan ones, just grate, form into small mounds and then bake in the oven.

Aye, I'm not sure about the parmesan ones, the smell is a bit off putting to me, but who knows I was someone who was never really too fond of meat up until a couple of weeks ago haha... I've just had to be open to new things!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah I guess I do need to start doing that, Ive made some dramatic changes to my diet in the past couple of weeks but I've not been logging them. I do need to work out properly which amount of carbs a day is going to work for me, and if I can pick and choose where I get those carbs from, like yesterdays Sunday roast I had a small roast potato with it, I felt that my carb intake had been relatively low so I could have it without the worry, but honestly I don't even really know how it works yet. I will keep on learning, thank goodness for this place to be honest.

Usually, as a newbie, I would just start reducing your carbs slowly and constantly through the first few weeks.
Plate size and exercise, is just as important.
Just an extra half hour extra walk a day, will help.
It is a learning process of which is personal.
But it's usually the high carbs and starchy veg that do it!
Testing is a great way to gain control of your blood glucose levels.
Eat to your meter, is a great way to go about getting control.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If your teeth are strong, try pork scratchings. Zero carb.

Aye, I have had some of those this past couple of weeks and I do like them. However, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the same time as my type 2 and put on tablets for that so I am a bit wary of eating too much fat if my heart is already under a bit of stress.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Usually, as a newbie, I would just start reducing your carbs slowly and constantly through the first few weeks.
Plate size and exercise, is just as important.
Just an extra half hour extra walk a day, will help.
It is a learning process of which is personal.
But it's usually the high carbs and starchy veg that do it!
Testing is a great way to gain control of your blood glucose levels.
Eat to your meter, is a great way to go about getting control.

I just did my re-test and it came back as 7.7 so exactly the same as it was before I ate. Ive never had a reading this low before and I know it should be lower but Im happy none the less :) I actually began running again today, haven't done any routine exercise since last November but I did a 25 min run earlier, near killed me, very very out of practice lol...but I will keep on. Thank you x

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Aye, I have had some of those this past couple of weeks and I do like them. However, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the same time as my type 2 and put on tablets for that so I am a bit wary of eating too much fat if my heart is already under a bit of stress.

You may find eating low carb may help with problem.
I just did my re-test and it came back as 7.7 so exactly the same as it was before I ate. Ive never had a reading this low before and I know it should be lower but Im happy none the less :) I actually began running again today, haven't done any routine exercise since last November but I did a 25 min run earlier, near killed me, very very out of practice lol...but I will keep on. Thank you x

Be careful as too strenuous exercise will increase your blood glucose levels.
But the extra exercise will be good in the long run.

Didn't mean the pun.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @TracyC, the 2 hrs after meal is the standard time set by researchers for doctors n us to compare our body BG level. In between the 2 hrs period no other food intakes except drinking water only. No exercise also. Why they choose 2 hrs after meal? The reason is simple our BG increases the moment we start eating and our body will respond by producing insulin. Some food release glucose fast and some is slow. Before 2 hrs end our glucose level must have reached the maximum and is going down. So a healthy person after 2 hrs our body must be able to lower the glucose level to 8 or even less. Researchers do not choose half an our or 1 hr because the rate of glucose released vary according to the type of food. In fact to determine whether a patient is diabetic or not the doctor will carry out an oral glucose tolerance test whereby the patient is given a 75g of sugar water and test it after 2 hrs. No other food are allow in between that.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @TracyC, the 2 hrs after meal is the standard time set by researchers for doctors n us to compare our body BG level. In between the 2 hrs period no other food intakes except drinking water only. No exercise also. Why they choose 2 hrs after meal? The reason is simple our BG increases the moment we start eating and our body will respond by producing insulin. Some food release glucose fast and some is slow. Before 2 hrs end our glucose level must have reached the maximum and is going down. So a healthy person after 2 hrs our body must be able to lower the glucose level to 8 or even less. Researchers do not choose half an our or 1 hr because the rate of glucose released vary according to the type of food. In fact to determine whether a patient is diabetic or not the doctor will carry out an oral glucose tolerance test whereby the patient is given a 75g of sugar water and test it after 2 hrs. No other food are allow in between that.

That was a really interesting read, thank you, explained a lot!