Soup Tips

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I like to make soup, broth soup from the meat and bones, like I said in my other posts.
I want this thread to be about what seasonings, vegetables, etc., we add to soup to make it taste yummy.
I'll start:
In my soup yesterday and today I added chopped up bell peppers which were red, yellow and green and they made the soup taste and SMELL really good. My seasonings were ground pepper (combination peppercorns), thyme, 2 big bay leaves, granulated garlic, dehydrated onion, and 2 packs of chicken seasoning leftover from the packages of ramen noodles. Actually, that's weird because now I'm trying to think what seasoning I used on the ramen noodles? Oh well.
SO WHAT DO YOU ALL PUT IN YOUR SOUP?????????

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Today's soup is the same base (2 chicken drumsticks with bones but no skin) with the same garlic, onions, etc., like yesterday BUT.............
today I used 1/2 cup tomatos chopped, 1 serving frozen mixed veg, 1 cup V8 and Italian seasonings
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
YUUUUUUMMMMMMMM

diadieter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
TODAY'S SOUP------the same base as yesterday, chicken, etc, but I added curry spices. I added little pinches of different curry spices ground and blended in oil, I had 2 jars of Chinese curry spices and 1 of Indian curry, I think it was biryiani? So I put little pinches of all 3, plus dry curry. I was really good.I think the total oil added was less than a teaspoon and it stuck to the sides of the bowl anyway. I added tomato juice/V8 and bell pepper strips.
I have an idea for tomorrow's soup..........................

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make broth in the slow cooker, at least overnight (up to 24 hours) from the leftover chicken, beef or lamb bones. I always put in celery stalks and leaves, carrots, an onion (cut in half and chargrilled, except for chicken), whole peppercorns, dried or fresh parsley and salt. To the chicken stock I also add a few cloves of garlic.

All of the above gets strained out of the finished broth, though. I then use it to prepare soups, usually by adding sliced mushrooms, fresh garlic and/or ginger, chilli pepper flakes and soya sauce. To make it more filling, I'll add some prawns or shredded cooked chicken. Might stir a tablespoon of Greek yogurt into my bowl as well, or squeeze some lemon into it.

Another way I use the stock is to boil some leftover greens (spinach, kale, rocket, watercress..) in it until soft, which is less than 10 mins, then blend it with some cream, yogurt or cream cheese. Yummy!

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Always make my soup base with some bones and left over meat, herbs, LOADS of celery seeds, black peppercorns, whole carrot or two and fresh onion/garlic, chilli (read;what ever I have in house/garden)..once those are thoroughly stewed and all the flavours extracted...I then sieve it all to left with 'clean' stock, in which I add any other 'bits' that I wish to remind in final soup, oh and more herbs and spices and other flavouring depending of the used 'foody bits'. I usually prefer my soups with 'bits' rather than all blended smooth....though pumpkin soup is delish when smoooooooth and creamy..:hungry: