Whats the best meal you can eat?

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what's the best meal you eat, that you know doesn't affect you readings, mine always seems to be a mince based dish with loads of veg in it.
I can eat a chilli with 2 spoons of brown rice or a spag bol with a little bit of whole-wheat spaghetti.
I am looking for inspiration, and new ideas.

give me your best dishes and recipes. I am avid slow cooker fan so anything that can be chucked in and left the better it is, I know we are all different and can eat different things, but it could be interesting.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have it right there. Meat and veg and the many ways you can serve that up. For a couple of meals a week it comes in the form of a stir fry with oyster and spring onion sauce. The slow cooker is mostly great. The meat is fine and suitable vegetables are fine but don't go too heavily on the carrots. You can even have a dumpling if it is fresh and still has the suet in it. This lowers the GI to an acceptable level. If not fresh and the suet has melted out then they are spike generators.

Reactions: 2 people

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Curious about what you mean by "doesn't effect your readings." Do you mean that it either stays the same or lower 2 hours after or only a moderate rise of one or two points (i.e. 4 to 6 mmol/l)?

If it's stay the same or lower. I can usually have two eggs, two slices of turkey bacon (yes I do actually like it more then real bacon) and a piece of 12 grain bread toasted with butter to dip in my eggs. Every time I have this for breakfast my fasting sugar always drops by 1 mmol. Usually I start at a 5.5 or 6 and after this breakfast and a 20 minute walk to work I test at a 4.5 to 5.

I had 75g (uncooked) whole wheat pasta with a tomato/meat sauce last night and my numbers only went up 1.5 mmols so that's a plus. 75g of pasta was more then enough to fill me.