Sugar free jelly

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes! Every 3 days I make a sachet of Hartley's strawberry divided into 3 separate jars. Every night I have a jar of jelly and a jar of homemade yoghurt for pudding. Love it!

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PS I can't stand the other flavours as a pudding although I use the raspberry one as a sore throat treatment when required.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mahola I have a 7-jar Severin yoghurt maker. I was given it one Christmas but I imagine it's easy enough to find one online.

You need 2pts whole milk, 30g powdered milk (I use Marvel) and a jar of the previous batch, or a small pot of bought live yoghurt (I recommend Yeo Valley) as a 'starter'.

Put the milk and powdered milk in a pan and heat on a medium heat, whisking for a while to dissolve the powder, until it's nearly boiling.
Cool until the outside of the pan is still warm to the touch but not too hot to leave your hand on it. You can just leave it to cool for a few hours, but I speed up the cooling by putting the pan in the kitchen sink filled with cold water, whisking the milk for 3 minutes as I do so.
Put the starter yoghurt in a large bowl and whisk it so it's smooth.
Strain the milk into the bowl and whisk.
Pour into the jars and screw the kids on.
Pop them carefully into the yoghurt maker and switch it on.
I leave it for 6 hours, at which point I turn it off and leave the jars in it to cool down.
Put in the fridge when done.

If you leave it longer (say 8 hours) it doesn't come to any harm but will taste sharper.

I use a fresh starter (a Yeo Valley yoghurt rather than one from my last batch) every third batch, otherwise I find it not as mild as I'd like.

I find plain yoghurt a challenge to eat without sweetener, so when it's time for pudding I decant a jar into a bowl and mix with some Splenda (and a sugar free jelly!). I also use it for recipes that require yoghurt or creme fraiche or milk.

And I use the spare jars (I was given 2 sets) to make jelly in).

:)