MY first of many silly questions

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
where can i find a definative list of what i can and cant eat ie. whats in my cupboard

jellys hotdogs super noodles you know the stuff your not supposed to eat anyway bit do

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
chazelder said:
where can i find a definative list of what i can and cant eat ie. whats in my cupboard

jellys hotdogs super noodles you know the stuff your not supposed to eat anyway bit do

That's just it....there is no list. Depends on what type of diet you use, low carb, no carb, low fat. low salt, low GI, low GL, Paleo, South Beach, Mediterranean.....it goes on ??

YOU have to find what foods are suitable for YOU. What YOU like.What effect certain foods have on YOUR Bg levels. That's how we all started, trial and error.

I like loads of things, but they are MY choices, they suit ME and MY tastes. Could be totally unsuitable and even unhealthy for you. So, this is where your homework begins. First thing I would do is clear out your store cupboard though ! :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
chazelder
there's no such thing as a silly question.
If you want to know something and someone can help, why would that be silly?

I concur with Ken, there's no definitive list on what you shouldn't eat,however, i wouldn't recommend fish and chips too often.
Do some studying and find what works for you.
I see Ken has mentioned the paleo diet.
I find this a very interesting concept and use it as a guideline. It might be one for you, then again it might not
Hana

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks guys i was sort of thinking there were some definate no no's for instance my current diets consists largely on things like pies, sausage rolls, tinned hot dogs, mars bars, sugar free delights, sugar free jellys, super noodles i do understand what your saying though about it being a personallised thing, thanks again.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
chazelder said:
thanks guys i was sort of thinking there were some definate no no's for instance my current diets consists largely on things like pies, sausage rolls, tinned hot dogs, mars bars, sugar free delights, sugar free jellys, super noodles i do understand what your saying though about it being a personallised thing, thanks again.

The things in Red are definitely not a good idea, all high carbs. So if you are trying to cut Bg numbers they should be very limited.....sorry ! :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
chaz
Just a suggestion on what to eat,instead of what not to eat.
Any kind of meat, fish, poultry( and veggie substitutes like TVP or tofu.)
cheese, eggs, yogurt( watch the sugar and carb content on the label)
Leafy green veggies, salads, nuts and seeds, especially macadamias
That might not look like a lot of choice, but it's all nutrient rich food, which will prevent you from feeling hungry and you get used to it quickly.
You'll find 5 small meals work well and you don't need "fillers" like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. or biscuits :twisted:
It is possible to buy low carb foods from a number of good websites. these foods are useful as an occasional treat, but a bit pricey for all the time.
With a nutrient rich diet, you can manage on much smaller portions and no empty calories, like crisps and sweets, so it needn't cost too much.
Hana

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks hana

seems like a good plan to me, i've emptied the "bad" things out of my cupboard (2 carrier bags full) so now i'm readt to start fresh. Must say theres a few things in the can eat you mentioned that i'm surprised about. I'm findingd that websites have a lot of conflicting info, one says yes to cheese another says no etc. I've changed my bread to wholemeal cant do without bread and sugar in one week lol.

Thanks for the info, :)

Oh the inevitable happened last night a nieghbour dropped in with a tin of quality street sigh oh well someone is getting some sweets lol.

ps. low sugar virtually fat free baked beans and batchelors savoury rice, i'm thinking beans ok not sure on rice ?

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
chazelder said:
thanks hana

seems like a good plan to me, i've emptied the "bad" things out of my cupboard (2 carrier bags full) so now i'm readt to start fresh. Must say theres a few things in the can eat you mentioned that i'm surprised about. I'm findingd that websites have a lot of conflicting info, one says yes to cheese another says no etc. I've changed my bread to wholemeal cant do without bread and sugar in one week lol.

Thanks for the info, :)

Oh the inevitable happened last night a nieghbour dropped in with a tin of quality street sigh oh well someone is getting some sweets lol.

ps. low sugar virtually fat free baked beans and batchelors savoury rice, i'm thinking beans ok not sure on rice ?

If you are going to eat rice make sure its basmati

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone I'm starting to get the hang of it and i only eat basmati normally

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
You will find loads of useful betes books, including many which focus specifically on food, recipies and diets on the internet.

I suggest you either "google" it or visit amazon.co.uk for starters.

Good luck. :D