31 weeks and worrying

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
First time I have used this site, so I am 31 weeks pregnant wirh my first my pregnancy was not planned so I did not take any pre vitamins also my hba1c was not even on the chart, I have been a type 1 diabetic for four years so still trying to get use to what works and what doesn't,
Since being pregnant I found out at 4 weeks so started my folic acid and managed to keep my levels between 4.5 and 11 in some bad days. My hba1c is now the best it can be on the chart,
I just want to know people's stories in pregnancy and being a type 1 as doctors are saying high risk in complications and all I have been hearing is about people having still births at 33 weeks and losing infants with complications so I guess I'm looking for some piece of mind as I'm so worried and people that have a similar story to mine and had healthy babies ect
sorry about long winded story

Last edited by a moderator:

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
First time I have used this site, so I am 31 weeks pregnant wirh my first my pregnancy was not planned so I did not take any pre vitamins also my hba1c was not even on the chart, I have been a type 1 diabetic for four years so still trying to get use to what works and what doesn't,
Since being pregnant I found out at 4 weeks so started my folic acid and managed to keep my levels between 4.5 and 11 in some bad days. My hba1c is now the best it can be on the chart,
I just want to know people's stories in pregnancy and being a type 1 as doctors are saying high risk in complications and all I have been hearing is about people having still births at 33 weeks and losing infants with complications so I guess I'm looking for some piece of mind as I'm so worried and people that have a similar story to mine and had healthy babies ect
Hi Jemz24, I have had 3 babies. First wasn't planned as such so I probably started taking folic acid after I knew, the other two I was more clued up about diabetes and pregnancy and found it all easier. Interestingly, my diabetes team didn't discuss pregnancy until I was married! only said to discuss with them if I wanted to get pregnant...tbh, that wouldn't have been my first thought at the time. I can understand that now of course.

First pregnancy was very 'managed' which was kind of stressful. Any concerns I had was usually met with a scan wich didnt really answer my questions. My diabetes team were excellent, but I felt that my personal feelings about my pregnancy and diabetes were not part of the equation.
There are risks to the baby, but I feel that it needs to be personalised. If you have very good control the risks are reduced compared to a mum whose diabetes is less controlled. It is difficult to get them to talk in this way I found. My first birth was highly managed and I found that difficult tbh.
It def helps to have a knowledgeable advocate with you at appts and during birth. Maybe a doula would be helpful and keep a sense of normalcy about your pregnancy.
Second pregnancy seemed far easier in terms of diabetes. The birth was an unexpected home birth with no complications...baby came a week earlier than the induction was booked fo. we went into hosp for obvs for 24 hours - no problems.
Third pregnancy we decided to hire an Ind Midwife - like and insurance policy really so that wherever I was to give birth she would be with me. She was v knowledgeable and met with mu obs and diabetes team. I had another home birth and all was good.
It is crucial to keep good control through the pregnancy and during labour to keep diabetic risks as low as possible. I could say a whole lot more about birth and breastfeeding etc but this post would be v long!

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jemz24 I think the risk is higher - a big difference between that and "high". I agree with @keep_going - those are statistics not your own individual risk You've done great getting your HbA1C down :)

I have three children and they're fine. I actually found my last pregnancy probably the easiest even though on paper it was the most risky (because of other conditions).

I strongly recommend reading up as much as you can about birth from a proper book that empowers women rather than medicalises birth. If you know what's happening and have mentally prepared yourself, even a hard birth is easier :) Yes, you may be induced but that doesn't mean you can't have a normal birth.

Keep your blood sugar controlled, eat well, rest and relax, and there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and have a good birth experience and a healthy baby :)

And to answer your specific concerns, I presume you've had scans? If so, they'd have identified any problems with the baby. If all looks good then it probably is :) Regarding the stillbirth figures - any woman can have a stillbirth, but my consultant told me that a 'diabetic placenta' can age faster and can be two weeks older than a non-diabetic placenta. That's why woman with diabetes are induced early - that brings any risk right down. Also, because you have diabetes, you're highlighted as a 'special' birth so you get more care and have more people checking you and baby. Although that can be annoying, it's also reassuring. You and baby will be monitored and looked after carefully :)

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @jemz24 congrats on your pregnancy. I've been type1 for 35yrs and have a daughter who is 2 (also type1 diagnosed a couple of months ago) and baby twins 6m.

I did pre conception and had good hba1cs throughout both pregnancies. All mine were delivered at 35w. With my 2 yr old I got pre eclampsia and one of my twins was seriously ill when born but had surgery and pulled through well. It's been hard but it's all worth it.
What is your latest hba1c now? Don't stress as that will make things worse. Where have you been hearing all these stories? I think it's always in the back of your mind about all the risks but you need to manage the sugars as much as poss.

There are lots of ladies on here that have had babies that are fine xx

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't offer you any advice but just wanted to say all the best with the rest of your pregnancy and remind you that the health professionals love to dish out the horror stories but hold back on the happy endings! You've done amazing to have reduced your hba1c, you seem to be doing the best you can. X

Reactions: 3 people

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Sarah
My hba1c before I was pregnant was 100 which i no is bad being diagnosed at age of 17 was a struggle and was very depressed but it is now 43 which is a big jump for me iv cept it under great control I just feel guilty that I did not do pre pregnancy care so far scans and blood test have come back fine and that she is healthy which is great.
And these stories iv been hereing are from friends and family and online is probably my worst enemy I just am panicking as I'm near the stage where people say still births happen so I just kind of want her hear now you no.
Also thank you for your reply :)

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Sarah
My hba1c before I was pregnant was 100 which i no is bad being diagnosed at age of 17 was a struggle and was very depressed but it is now 43 which is a big jump for me iv cept it under great control I just feel guilty that I did not do pre pregnancy care so far scans and blood test have come back fine and that she is healthy which is great.
And these stories iv been hereing are from friends and family and online is probably my worst enemy I just am panicking as I'm near the stage where people say still births happen so I just kind of want her hear now you no.
Don't feel guilt...it takes away your energy that could be better used elsewhere. If you had planned this pregnancy you would have done differently. Do the best you can each day - that is all we can do. Find some positives to push away the negative stories...you are writing your own pregnancy and birth story not following any others. It is pretty normal to worry, even non diabetics do. Do you have someone supportive around you to help you through these last weeks, birth and beyond? you don't need the concerns of others sitting on your shoulders xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @jemz24

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I had an unexpected pregnancy too! And found out much much later 15 weeks I also had/have polycystic ovaries, so skipping periods meant nothing. So finding out j was pregnant was an enormous shock! Thankfully My hba1c was well controlled anyway. I did find the whole pregnancy very stressful! My sugars would randomly rise first thing in the morning from 6 to 16!!!
My boy was born 38 weeks, big but healthy! He is now almost 6 and I'm thinking of another so it couldn't have been that bad!! Although I am on the pump this time in preparation!

Looking at your sugars you have done brilliantly getting them down to that level! Well done you, don't stress yourself, as a diabetic you are closely monitored. There are risks for every pregnancy, and yes we have more, but don't let them be your focus! You are doing so well for both you and baby!

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't feel guilt...it takes away your energy that could be better used elsewhere. If you had planned this pregnancy you would have done differently. Do the best you can each day - that is all we can do. Find some positives to push away the negative stories...you are writing your own pregnancy and birth story not following any others. It is pretty normal to worry, even non diabetics do. Do you have someone supportive around you to help you through these last weeks, birth and beyond? you don't need the concerns of others sitting on your shoulders xx
Thank you so much what you have said has helped me feel more confident already and my partner is my greatest support I can not fault him even though he is not an expert on diabetes he has helped me so much through this pregnancy and the 4 years we have been together

Reactions: 4 people

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @jemz24

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I had an unexpected pregnancy too! And found out much much later 15 weeks I also had/have polycystic ovaries, so skipping periods meant nothing. So finding out j was pregnant was an enormous shock! Thankfully My hba1c was well controlled anyway. I did find the whole pregnancy very stressful! My sugars would randomly rise first thing in the morning from 6 to 16!!!
My boy was born 38 weeks, big but healthy! He is now almost 6 and I'm thinking of another so it couldn't have been that bad!! Although I am on the pump this time in preparation!

Looking at your sugars you have done brilliantly getting them down to that level! Well done you, don't stress yourself, as a diabetic you are closely monitored. There are risks for every pregnancy, and yes we have more, but don't let them be your focus! You are doing so well for both you and baby!
Thank you so much your story and guidance is a big help :)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi Sarah
43 is great! You are doing the best that you can do. Try to be positive and keep in touch with the midwives/dsn now x

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much what you have said has helped me feel more confident already and my partner is my greatest support I can not fault him even though he is not an expert on diabetes he has helped me so much through this pregnancy and the 4 years we have been together
ahh, it's great that you have a supportive partner - that makes a huge difference :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

Hi there, try not to dwell on negatives too much and try to look forward to having your lovely little baby. I had mine 15 years ago and I was aged 42 1/2 years, she is happy teenager (well, you know teenagers :rolleyes: lol) and my best diabetes moment, I wouldn't change it or her for the world :joyful:
Good luck and wishing you all the best for a safe, healthy and a happy delivery.

nmb264

Stay away from. Dr Google

Diabetes and pregnancy is difficult but as long as you know you're doing the best for both of you then thsts all that matters.
I had a very uncomfortable pregnancy and suffered all the rare pregnancy symptoms aches and pains. Ethan made a surprise appearance at 35 weeks but is doing great.
You'll be fine!x