Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi this beautiful sunny morning.
fbg = 5.4 @ 0530 yippee!
I was up before my liver.
still 'gym-ing' hard and gardening increasingly.
diet is hard, hard, hard.
:D:rolleyes:

Reactions: 13 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'm actually on Metformin - 2 a day. I'm at 5.5 now before breakfast
Sorry, I meant medication which can cause hypos, which Metformin isn't considered to do (although some people disagree with this). The DVLA wants people at risk of hypos to be above 5.0 before driving but if you're only on Metformin then you aren't required to test - or it would mean GPs would be forced to prescribe meters and test strips to everyone on Metformin too!

Reactions: 7 people

ianpw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surprised to find it to be 11 after 1 metformin and 80mg gliclazide last evening.

Reactions: 9 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @britishpub and @Alzebra - clearly my mistake thinking Metformin was medication? But not wishing to labour that point, I'm still learning here. And thank you for your replies. I won't worry about my 4 reading, just be thankful it's no longer an 8 or a 9.

If my numbers stay in the 5s today I'll be happy LHCF certainly works for me

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 6 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
6/4/16 - Morning All.

6.9 this morning !

Reactions: 16 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @britishpub and @Alzebra - clearly my mistake thinking Metformin was medication? But not wishing to labour that point, I'm still learning here. And thank you for your replies. I won't worry about my 4 reading, just be thankful it's no longer an 8 or a 9.

If my numbers stay in the 5s today I'll be happy LHCF certainly works for me

Reactions: 6 people

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
6.3 this morning a lot better for me after being 8s most days, and that is despite eating a cream cake last night. I really must try and get out of this dark mood and get my levels down but I can't stop eating rubbish which I know is bad for me and then I feel guilty so the vicious circle goes on and on. It doesn't help looking after 2yr old granddaughter 10 hrs a day and then having to feed other half, he can't do much being disabled, then having to go to elderly parents and sort them out, never get much chance to sit and eat a proper meal. Sorry for the moan, feeling very sorry for myself at the moment.

Reactions: 8 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
9.5 - interestingly, I forgot to have a small protein pre-bed snack last night.

Reactions: 11 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's really confusing, because Metformin is obviously a medication, being put on Metformin gives you entitlement to free prescriptions, but the DVLA don't consider it to be a potential concern. Anything above 4.0 isn't considered a hypo, and as @Clivethedrive has demonstrated, he's perfectly well at fbgs of 3.9.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/driving-and-hypoglycaemia.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html
Everyone's meter has a variant. One man's 3.9 is another man's 4.9. Meter readings are just a guide but better than nothing. @TooManyCrisps has a hba1c stating lower than her meter. They are just a tool to see if you're increasing/decreasing a little or alot.

Reactions: 8 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Metformin is Diabetes medication to be sure....I decided to test my levels two hours later from breakfast and found it was 16.4 and that is after walking 3 miles with the dogs.... I know my Nurse says I must have serial for breakfast butam going to have to ask her why it is so high two hours after eating it ...grrr