What to eat for breakfast that has carbs but will not cause BG spikes

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of years ago I was eating soya flakes with almond milk(or soya milk), still low cab but gave me the feeling of a 'normal cereal type breakfast'. Ended up ditching it because it took too long to digest and couldn't go running in the morning.

Where did you get soya flakes from?

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A quick update on the successes and fails having taken some of the advice from others in this thread:

I started by changing my breakfast routine by bolusing at least 20 mins before eating and changinging what I ate from the Oat So Simple instant porridge to either some home made Bircher (thanks @Juicyj !) or lower carb/higher protein bread toast. This works well - top results!! Thanks all. :)

So today, I thought lets step back and try just bolusing earlier and keep the same breakfast as before - just to see if bolusing earlier is enough to cope with the instant porridge. It is definitley not! Take a look at the attached photo. A spike like Kilimanjaro. No more Oat So Simple for me!

Or just to experiment I might try a SuperBolus on Oat So Simple tomorrow.

IMG_2553.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DiabeticJim is that initial dip something you got when pre bolusing for your other breakfasts too? That's always a problem I have with pre bolusing...

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You've got to be careful with pre-bolusing @staffsmatt. Bolusing just before you eat is so easy but when you pre-bolus you've got to time it right.
I think it's the long gap between bolus and eating causing the dip as I did get it with the other brekkies.

Last edited by a moderator:

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I think you're right. I must admit I can get a dip even when bolusing right before eating which is especially a pain for the morning commute!