Just been diagnosed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 11 turning 12 and need some friends I am really struggling and starting to feel like the odd one out and just want to some people that are going through the same experience. Thanks

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I hope that some of our younger members will be along soon to give you support.

Take care

Doug

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very Much Doug my nurse came yesterday and said she will move me on to an omnipod if I wanted, so she gave
me a test one to find out how it feels

Reactions: 3 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
That's great. Glad to hear things are moving along.

Look after yourself and shout if you need to ask any questions.

Doug

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi josh I'm Lucy and I'm 13 and I know what you feel like when I was first diagnosed I felt left out but eventually your friends will realise that your the same that you used to be if not just try and get more involved with what there doing and if they ask about your diabetes just say your fine and you'll be there in a sec but obviously tell them if your not and you've always got friends on the forum and believe me there are a lot of boys your age on here

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as an adult, but when I was your age, I did have a friend who had type 1.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I never thought of him as odd, unusual, or different from the rest of us.
I didn't think about it at the time, but thinking back I now remember him stepping out of class because his blood sugar was low and adjusting the insulin dose on his pump.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he never made a big deal about it so I never felt like I needed to. As far as I was concerned, he just liked orange juice and had a little box attached to his belt. Nothing more.

Of note: He was also the first person I called when I was diagnosed last year.

Reactions: 4 people

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Heya, might be a bit too old for you, but I'm turning 16 in 2 months so probably close enough.

I was diagnosed at age 10, since then, no one has seen me in any different light. I still remain friends with friends from primary school, and have managed to make several friends in secondary, none of which see me in any different way than a "regular" person if you will. Infact, some of my friends find it rather interesting, and several also make sure that I'm alright if I ever state I feel sick and such.

Glad to hear you got offered an omnipod! I hear they are quite handy!

If you ever want to chat, don't hesitate to message me :)