Cycling - Recommend bag/Saddle bag?

Matey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I cycle at least once a week commute (20miles) and try get out on the weekend for a ride.

Im usually taking a backpack to carry my things but on the weekend rides want something smaller. Preferably a saddlebag/frame bag to carry the necessities such as Monitor/Hypo treatment/Phone/Wallet etc.

Anyone use or recommend a bag to fit to my bike so im not having to use a backpack?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I use a frame triangle bag for when I'm out on a ride. Normally I commute to work so I have a two saddle bags carrying clothes , food , insulin etc so only use the triangle bag when riding on holiday / weekends on my road bike.

Here is a link:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/bags/

There are lots of options , I never use a backpack , very restrictive and sweaty !

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Backpacks are considered a bit of a no-no on a road bike but who cares - anyone can use what they want.

However, having said that as @Wurst says I never use them as I find them restrictive as well.

I use the Topeak Aero Wedge Large:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-large-saddle-bag/ *

* (Can be purchased from other retailers).

It can expand up to 2 litres but still fits fairly neatly under the saddle with a nice aero wedge shape. Fits my spare tubes, levers, mini pump (for pumping tyres up - not insulin!!), blood glucose meter, insulin pen, hypo gels, phone, keys, wallet - i.e. it can fit a lot. I use my jersey pockets to put food in - banana, malt loaf, flapjack etc.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Topeak Aero Wedge large as well

Usual contents of that are
2 x spare tubes, CO2 inflator plus 2 cartridges, tyre levers, multi tool, bodge kit to get me home.
Emergency carbs - a couple of gels, maybe a snack bar.
Phone

Jersey pockets
BG tester/pump controller
Food - dried bananas, gels, snack bars
Small plastic bag with credit card, café cash, ID

If I were commuting (and I've done this for my runaround bike which gets used for shopping) I'd go with a rack and pannier(s). Also have a small frame pack which sits on the top tube behind the headset, on my recumbent at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-large-saddle-bag/

Other saddle bags are available

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry this is quite an old thread but it seems of use to me. I go cycling a lot and need help with hypo treatments. What gels or treatments to you take with you? Stupidly, I've been carrying a rucksack with bottles of lucozade unaware of the fact that there are saddle bags large enough to fit glucose monitor etc... silly me