Complications?

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Over the last year, I have managed to lose 20kg in weight, I know I have to lose more, but have a lot of complications healthwise and limited mobility, also lots of medication, which include a lot of steroids.

I am on Metformin, Levemir and Novarapid.

I can't seem to do well with my blood sugar levels.

I ate 12 chips with home made bolognese, reading after 2 hours is 14.7.

Losing the weight has not helped my blood sugar levels, in fact, about four weeks ago I had to have the Novarapid increased.

I also know that infections can increase blood sugar and I have a lot of chest infections.

Just wondered if other people have a hard time keeping their numbers down when you have other complicated factors added in?

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Well done in losing the weight. I have noticed over the past 3 months that my levels have increased and putting weight back on. I was put on victoza but that has, t really helped

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done in losing the weight. I have noticed over the past 3 months that my levels have increased and putting weight back on. I was put on victoza but that has, t really helped

Thank you :) I just find it all really confusing to be honest! I thought losing the weight would have helped with the numbers but they have just kept on creeping up again

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Over the last year, I have managed to lose 20kg in weight, I know I have to lose more, but have a lot of complications healthwise and limited mobility, also lots of medication, which include a lot of steroids.

I am on Metformin, Levemir and Novarapid.

I can't seem to do well with my blood sugar levels.

Losing the weight has not helped my blood sugar levels, in fact, about four weeks ago I had to have the Novarapid increased.

I also know that infections can increase blood sugar and I have a lot of chest infections.

Just wondered if other people have a hard time keeping their numbers down when you have other complicated factors added in?

Hi @janieg42 ,

Steroids can cause problems for diabetics and push your glucose levels up. As you have noted, infections can also be an issue.

Have you changed your diet at all?

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi, don't be hard on yourself,fighting chest infections, constant steroids,plus other meds are all factors that don't help diabetes......I know,I've the same problems with my lungs,plus added problems with my gut that effects what I can eat....I too take insulin(can't take tablets due to gut) after getting very upset about blood levels and weight went to see the "team" ... They looked at the broader picture and helped with dosage adjustments to keep below 10....know thats still too high for some,and personally I'd prefer mine below 8, but when your battling everything else it takes the pressure off......I eat very few carbs but can get readings after taking morning steroids upwards and rising through the day,8-9-10+++
Try talking to all the agency's that care for you and see if they can come up with a plan for you....

I wish you well....

Who ever said breathing is the most natural thing to do to enjoy...???
For those that have breathing problems it's not the easiest thing to do!!!!

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @janieg42 ,

Steroids can cause problems for diabetics and push your glucose levels up. As you have noted, infections can also be an issue.

Have you changed your diet at all?
Hi, no I haven't changed my diet at all recently. I ten to stick to food I know are ok for me

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, don't be hard on yourself,fighting chest infections, constant steroids,plus other meds are all factors that don't help diabetes......I know,I've the same problems with my lungs,plus added problems with my gut that effects what I can eat....I too take insulin(can't take tablets due to gut) after getting very upset about blood levels and weight went to see the "team" ... They looked at the broader picture and helped with dosage adjustments to keep below 10....know thats still too high for some,and personally I'd prefer mine below 8, but when your battling everything else it takes the pressure off......I eat very few carbs but can get readings after taking morning steroids upwards and rising through the day,8-9-10+++
Try talking to all the agency's that care for you and see if they can come up with a plan for you....

I wish you well....

Who ever said breathing is the most natural thing to do to enjoy...???
For those that have breathing problems it's not the easiest thing to do!!!!

Hi, thanks for the message, my readings rise over the day after taking the steroids too! Highest readings are always around teatime. My doctor is sending me for tests as the moment as she thinks I actually shouldn't be losing weight with all the different meds i am on and i'm not dieting! I think I will take you up on your advice, and go and speak to my doctor and team about it and see what they have to say. Thanks :) P.s Love the quote, totally agree with that .

Reactions: 4 people

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, thanks for the message, my readings rise over the day after taking the steroids too! Highest readings are always around teatime. My doctor is sending me for tests as the moment as she thinks I actually shouldn't be losing weight with all the different meds i am on and i'm not dieting! I think I will take you up on your advice, and go and speak to my doctor and team about it and see what they have to say. Thanks :) P.s Love the quote, totally agree with that .
Hi just wondering how you got on at your hospital check....just hoping all went well and that your b.g.levels have settled,and hopefully your steroids have dropped down
All the best for good news.....

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi just wondering how you got on at your hospital check....just hoping all went well and that your b.g.levels have settled,and hopefully your steroids have dropped down
All the best for good news.....
Hi, thanks for the message. Spoke to my GP, she is keeping an eye on my weight, regular check ups, she thinks the sugars are playing up due to the constant infections and use of steroids, as well as other medication I am on that can also raise blood sugars. She wants me to do my sugars more over the next couple of weeks and go back and see her with the readings. Unfortunately I will be stuck on a maintenance dose of 15mg a day of steroid (for life), which is of course boosted up when I get infections and the infections affect my breathing, so am in a bit of a vicious circle at the moment, Hopefully the next time i see her, they may be able to do something else to help :)

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, thanks for the message. Spoke to my GP, she is keeping an eye on my weight, regular check ups, she thinks the sugars are playing up due to the constant infections and use of steroids, as well as other medication I am on that can also raise blood sugars. She wants me to do my sugars more over the next couple of weeks and go back and see her with the readings. Unfortunately I will be stuck on a maintenance dose of 15mg a day of steroid (for life), which is of course boosted up when I get infections and the infections affect my breathing, so am in a bit of a vicious circle at the moment, Hopefully the next time i see her, they may be able to do something else to help :)
Glad it went ok,yes, maintenance dose of 15 seems to be the norm.....some days I don't get as high a reading as others,but no explanation for it.....!!! Keep well,it's not easy having diabetics with other complications. When the advice you get is exercise more that tears me apart,oh how I wish I had the mobility and BREATH to do so.....so fully understand with your mobility your dilemma.....keep smiling......thanks for the update......

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you have got a good doctor who is keeping an eye on you and trying to help. It must be so difficult to manage blood levels when you have so many infections and are on a lot of medication and I think steroids are one of the worse for keeping blood glucose high. For someone like you with a lot of other medical complications advice is not straight forward. It's swings and roundabouts when you need one medication for something and then it messes up your sugar levels. Good luck and I hope it gets easier for you

Reactions: 3 people

Cassie_Bee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds like you have got a good doctor who is keeping an eye on you and trying to help. It must be so difficult to manage blood levels when you have so many infections and are on a lot of medication and I think steroids are one of the worse for keeping blood glucose high. For someone like you with a lot of other medical complications advice is not straight forward. It's swings and roundabouts when you need one medication for something and then it messes up your sugar levels. Good luck and I hope it gets easier for you
I have just been diagnosed as Type 2 caused by Predisilone( Steroids) that are treating my Brittle Asthma.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just been diagnosed as Type 2 caused by Predisilone( Steroids) that are treating my Brittle Asthma.
Hello, it's not great when the meds you make to help you cause further complications......are you on meds or insulin for your diabetes?
There are several of us on here that have lung conditions that require steroid trwatment,it's the pits, but don't be hard on yourself,with all the knowledge on this site you'll learn lots on what helps...wishing you well....

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi Janieg42
Congratulations on that great weight-loss of 20kg over the last year that is an amazing result. I can feel your frustration re your BG levels in your post. I can't help re the medications as I have no experience of them personally and there seems to be plenty of others who have experience that are responding to you.

I just wondered that diet could also still be a factor and if you are taking in too many carbs. In your post you mentioned Chips and Bolognese did that include pasta as well. For me at some stages the chips alone could spike my levels quite dramatically. If this is the case lowering your carb intakes could have a positive effect on your BG's

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear that! I hope they are looking after you. Yeah my doctor did mention that it was probably the steroid use that bought the diabetes about in the first place. Like you say, you take a medication to fix one thing and it messes something else up!

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear that! I hope they are looking after you. Yeah my doctor did mention that it was probably the steroid use that bought the diabetes about in the first place. Like you say, you take a medication to fix one thing and it messes something else up!

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, it's not great when the meds you make to help you cause further complications......are you on meds or insulin for your diabetes?
There are several of us on here that have lung conditions that require steroid trwatment,it's the pits, but don't be hard on yourself,with all the knowledge on this site you'll learn lots on what helps...wishing you well....
Hi, I take meds and two different types of insulin. Was just saying, I take medications to help with the lungs and other conditions, but then it messes with the blood sugars, but need the medication steroids especially, so just trying to find a happy medium would be nice :)

janieg42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Janieg42
Congratulations on that great weight-loss of 20kg over the last year that is an amazing result. I can feel your frustration re your BG levels in your post. I can't help re the medications as I have no experience of them personally and there seems to be plenty of others who have experience that are responding to you.

I just wondered that diet could also still be a factor and if you are taking in too many carbs. In your post you mentioned Chips and Bolognese did that include pasta as well. For me at some stages the chips alone could spike my levels quite dramatically. If this is the case lowering your carb intakes could have a positive effect on your BG's

Hi there, yeah I think a lot at the moment is the meds and the infections.
No, I didn't cook the pasta, I just made a bolognese sauce, and put it with the handful of chips, I could not put two different carbs on the same dinner, would not be good :)

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I take meds and two different types of insulin. Was just saying, I take medications to help with the lungs and other conditions, but then it messes with the blood sugars, but need the medication steroids especially, so just trying to find a happy medium would be nice :)
Good luck.....

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My d-I-l has been diagnosed with a lung condition for which steroids have been prescribed - about a month ago.
Today she went to A&E with badly swollen feet & hands - they managed to get the wedding ring off but cut the engagement ring. The engagement was only 2 years ago.
I have recommended LCHF & given her Trudi Deakin's book "Eat fat - a guide to low carb" but she has been advised "not to do low carb because of being on steroids"
That advice makes no sense to me. I suspect is the usual ignorance & prejudice of the profession against fats.
Can anyone advise?