Now Got Test Meter......and Strips

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k.....Have been to see diabetic nurse today.........Hba1c is down from 109 to 73........which she says is still way too high.......have now been given a test meter and 100 strips on prescription, after saying that I wasn't testing so much because it was getting expensive, because I had to buy my own....... she has also upped the Gliclazide to 240 mg a day.......nurse suggested testing 3 times a day......morning evening and night......does that sound about right ?........Del.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great you've been given them Del, you need to test before meals & 2 hours after to get good knowledge of what foods effect you & how

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Del 80 have you been confirmed as LADA/1.5? If so, you are better off being put on insulin as Gliclazide encourages insulin production, which in turn encourages autoimmune antibody attack of the beta cells, which is the last thing you want given that most proposed cures are dependent on remaining beta cells.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.......Wasn't sure what LADA/1.5 was, so looked it up.......there has been no mention of it, but it makes very interesting reading..........Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to mention, my mmol/l is ''hovering'' between 5.0 and 8.0......still maybe a bit high, but considering it was 26.6 when I started testing, then maybe not so bad ?........Del.

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi Del good to see you back mate.

Those results a big improvement since we first met you so well done. I would test first thing each morning before eating. This will let you know if you are improving your control or if you need to do more to keep them going down. The other tests you should do are meals. test just before you eat and then 2 hours after. As a general rule if after 2 hours the level has only increased bu around 2 or less then that meal is fine to keep using and you don't need to test it again. If the increase is higher than around 2 you probably need to change it or drop it from your regular diet. The other times to test if you are not feeling well in case your levels have shot up to high.

There is a forum that many on here post there Fasting levls in the morning etc.

Keep up the good work and keep letting us know how you are going

Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that......I get up around 4 a:m every morning, so am now doing first test at about 5: am.......this morning mmol/L was 4.5....which is the lowest, I think, that it has ever been, and which I am very pleased with......one thing, how low is too low ?.........Del.

Last edited by a moderator:

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that......I get up around 4 a:m every morning, so am now doing first test at about 5: am.......this morning mmol/L was 4.5....which is the lowest, I think, that it has ever been, and which I am very pleased with......one thing, how low is too low ?.........Del.

From personal experience never lower than 4.