Radio 4 : Tony Parkes from Coventry

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi All,

Saw this interview linked in another forum. Chap diagnosed with Diabetes changed his life around and managed to perhaps reverse some of all of the effect of T2 diabetes.

Would be interested to hear more of his story, especially if he's a member here of course!

Even the small details - what app did he use! :)

But particularly what sort of diet does he follow.

He mentions eating food that should spike his blood sugars and now being able to tolerate it, so I'm all ears if someone is managing to eat carbs (I assume?) and come off all medication

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03q7tfg

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look at the newcastle Diet. Seems to have worked for many.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I should imagine he probably uses something like Myfitnesspal to monitor his dietary intake. That's not some kind of magic, there are loads of others. As for what diet he followed, they are all on here, i.e. Low carb/high fat, Paleo, Newcastle, etc. and many of our members have had similar results i.e. controlling their diabetes to within normal levels.

I lost over 2.5 stone following the low carb/high fat diet and my blood sugar levels are controlled without meds. I have also noticed that I can have the occasional "naughty" without it spiking me like it used to. Have I managed to wake up my pancreas by cutting out the carbs? Getting my latest HBA1C results on Monday so hoping they've come right down as my monitor reports that I have been within range consistently.

I think it's a lifelong commitment though. I can't see me going back to living on ready meals and junk food again as the weight would pile on and I'd probably be getting high readings again. Cutting down on the carbs by whatever means makes sense. We all know sugary stuff is the culprit and that there is hidden sugar in unexpected places.

What I'm trying to say is that anyone who takes control of their diet and lifestyle can make great improvements and it's not unknown for them to reverse the diabetes and get off meds but I'm sure that doesn't mean they can then go back to their former unhealthy eating.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, when I wrote the above I didn't realise you had already had a lengthy discussion previously and already knew everything I posted.
How are things now?