BG & Porridge this morning

P

paula.nolan42

I did a little experiment this morning; for my breakfast I had my usual bowl of Porridge (Flahavans) 50g uncooked - I add a tsp of honey and a ½ tbsp of my seed mix (which I have calorie counted) and a drop of whole milk. According to MFP thats 45g of Carbs !! anyway.. before my breakfast my BGs read 7.0 and 2 hours later I was up to 9.3

Tomorrow I will do the same but no honey and no seed mix and see how I go...

Reactions: 4 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best way to learn I find - MFP is absolute best way to keep control of food, I might print off my food intake and show my Doc :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your experiments. :)

I suspect the porridge (and milk) may have something to do with it. The honey will have spiked earlier than 2 hours, and the seeds probably not much at all if you only had half a tblsp.

P

paula.nolan42

Interestingly - when I had porridge again a couple of days later, I was 7.7 before breakfast and 9.1 after - I've put porridge on my 'banned for now' list :(

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried porridge with soya milk, it tastes ok - only a few less carbs though. Had same impact on me, shame as I love porridge.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
will try that although find that oil very sweet

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've tried porridge with soya milk, it tastes ok - only a few less carbs though. Had same impact on me, shame as I love porridge.
I use soya milk for my tea never tried it in anything else will try it and see what it tastes like :)

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If I make porridge its with water. I make it in my slow cooker, but I only have cream in it.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Porridge ...... Yummmmm. It's also very nice with a couple of wheetbix added in.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I ate porridge with 2 weetabix thrown in my levels would be off the scale, but I'm type 2 diet controlled.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still do porridge some days, but made with water and a little sweetener. Michael Mosley says to have porridge in his 5:2 diet book so I thought it would be okay. It is carbohydrate, but a slow releasing one.

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love porridge, but not the spike. For me, steel-cut oats have much less impact, even when I grind it in a food processor for 30seconds or so, so it's edible with 5 minutes of cooking. I typically add cut up apple and cinnamon and sometimes protein powder.

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
P.s. virgin coconut oil with everything, even in my coffee (with ground turmeric and black pepper). If the virgin stuff is too sweet for you, the "refined" version is tasteless.