5:2 Diet?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I have written about my dilemma on other posts regarding my BS more than doubling since quitting evil weed. I saw my DN yesterday who gave me a testing kit - that so far I cannot seem to get right at the actual blood to strip test - that aside I have a month to get levels down before increase in meds. I said I want to try the 5:2 diet that came recommended by another DN. I was dx'd in 2007 during which time I started diet only and moved to 1000 SR metformin a day - sugars remained pretty stable until end of last year. In May 2015 I had a fasting test at hospital prior to surgery - at 7. By December my HBA1 came back at almost 14 - only difference I could find was quitting cigs. Now I am faced with increased in meds - when I really was hoping to give up the wretched metformin. What I am looking for is other members experience in using 5:2 diet? BTW I am 5.5 and weigh 9.9 - most of my surplus weight is on tummy and this is where - as is case with T2 - inhibits my pancreas.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using my own version of the 5:2 or Intermittent Fasting for a few months now.

My main difference I have seen is that my Fasting BG results have lowered a little , and now usually come in in the 4's rather than 5's I was getting more regularly.

Weight wise, it may have helped lose a couple of pounds more than I would have lost otherwise but I have not seen anything dramatic on that front.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Need to bring sugars down more a notch or two - but thanks for suggestion.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF for me has worked wonders in bringing (and keeping) glucose levels down.

I'd definitely take a close look at your diet, and at least cut down on all higher sugar/carbohydrate foods if you've not done so already. Use a meter to help identify and weed out your "spikey" foods.

Robbity

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Not highly into any high carbs but I guess I have more weeding to do! Have been on small portions of carbs food ie potatoes etc - guess I must try much smaller and up the veg! Today porridge with 5 small raspberries - lunch two scrambled eggs piece of grain bread about 2 square inches. Dinner lean chopped chicken cooked with mushrooms with 2 very small about 1 inch diameter and veg yet to be decided -probably soya beans and small amount of frozen corn. BTW according to Micheal Mosley in his book diet for blood sugars, new potatoes have lower Gi than old and oven cooked chips are lower in Gi than potatoes as are potato crisps - cooked carbs food is lower in Gi than uncooked - not that he advocates eating them.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting is supposed to have good results by those that do fast, so it's worth a try.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I can't avoid this forum pushes the low carb diet but carbs are such a complex thing to nut out. For instance a baked potatoe has no effect on my BSL but porridge sends it soring as does mashed potatoe.

I need carbs to stop hypos but trial and lots of frequent testing has taught me what and how much. I still haven't got it right but it has improved enough to not take medication but instead I think about what I eat and drink. I now get spikes which is probably stress related which throws my diet - catch 22. I also am relatively new to this (diagnosis took longer than it should) and try not to let it be the focus of my life.

Marley

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am really doing well on LowcarbHighfat diet following dietdoctor. com. I have introduced fasting so not eating breakfast until after 12 noon. When should I be taking my metformin? My HbA1c level is 54. I have two tablets a day.
Do read The Obesity Code By Jason Fung MD. Brilliant. Explains where we are going wrong with dieting.

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LCHF for me has worked wonders in bringing (and keeping) glucose levels down.

I'd definitely take a close look at your diet, and at least cut down on all higher sugar/carbohydrate foods if you've not done so already. Use a meter to help identify and weed out your "spikey" foods.

Robbity
Doing well. Read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Explains it all

Vidusi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty
Since I began on insulin I immediately ban putting on weight. Before that I was losing weight but had high Hab1c. I have gone from 61kg to 70kg. Not happy. I am not a big eater.