Hi's & Lo's

Nannyjak

Hi

3 weeks after diagnosis of Type 1 and 2 year old GD is having hypo's several times a day and then spiking for what seems like no reason at all. We have double and treble checked our carb counts and insulin doses. we have been told that she is still making a little insulin of her own and that this will stop. Is this all normal because it is so scary and upsetting?

Also she is waiting for a pump and sensor, is it usual for the pump to be used for a few weeks before the sensor is fitted and does this really make management better?

Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Nannyjak ,

I don't know much about pumping so I'll tag a couple of people who might be able to stop by later and offer some advice.
@himtoo @noblehead @tim2000s

It is quite common for a person (whatever age) to start injecting insulin and then find that the pancreatic function recovers slightly. This is often referred to as the honemoon period.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/honeymoon-phase.html

There's no hard and fast rule about how long this will last but it can make control more difficult. Some people seem to get a reduced constant level, whilst others have a pancreas that produces insulin at odd times. But there's nothing particularly unusual about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you are doing all you can and it can be very difficult to control a very young child's blood sugar. Yes, the pancreas may decline further. Try to avoid too many carbs in the diet as this can add to blood sugar swings; a lot of children's food is stuffed with carbs mainly as sugar. With lots of highs and lows it may be that the Bolus ratio is a bit too high and perhaps the Basal a bit low. Don't make changes without guidance from the DN unless you are really confident and only make very small changes over a day or so using the meter frequently.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi nannyjak
3 weeks is not really a long time ( but I know it must seem like forever dealing with it everyday )
she will still be adjusting and producing some insulin which does make it harder to control.

as for the pump and sensor I am not so sure if they would be fitted weeks apart.
it would seem as though the sensor should be first to get a better idea of what bloods are doing.

as to a sensor helping - just think it is continuous live monitoring so it must help because it helps the medical people to see patterns so adjustments can be made easier and hopefully more accurately.

one of the main things that all young children ( irregardless of D or not ) like is routine.
keeping to a routine should help bloods too.

I am tagging a couple of great mums of T1's to see if they have any help for you.
@1Sarah1 , @Gemmablower

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also she is waiting for a pump and sensor, is it usual for the pump to be used for a few weeks before the sensor is fitted and does this really make management better?

Not sure if this is the norm, but it takes a few weeks to adjust to a insulin pump so this may be their reasoning behind the delay.

Reactions: 3 people

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my daughter was diagnosed about a month ago and has hit the honeymoon period. Just last week we was getting at least 4 hypos a day which can be exhausting for everyone. Keep in close contact with your DN as they are very helpful, ours has been amazing! They may suggest a change in insulin dosage, ours did and we don't have as many hypos now. Just can't seem to get through the morning without a hypo but the rest of the day is fine.

Hope everything soon settles a bit for you all x

Reactions: 2 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry I missed this tag @himtoo and @Nannyjak.
It's all very worrying, first diagnosis and then the feeling of this is out of control with sugar fluctuations... It will become manageable.
These early days are so changeable.
Lows and highs be in touch with your team every few days about the patterns you are seeing in her sugars, you need to stay tight with your team and they will help you adjust setting for your pump as ratios and basals will need constant attention while you find your feet.
We are MDI but if we had been started on a pump I dont think I would of looked back as I believe they are life changing for the management of diabetes, my 3year old just does not like things attached to her so I do well to get a CGM sensor on (highly recommend sensor or any sort of CGM if that's what you mean you have been given)

My advise is always arm yourself with information. There is a good book, type 1 diabetes in young children and adolescents available on Amazon, read this front to back, also think like a pancreas is also very good. Read about food gi even if not following a low gi diet the information will come in handy.
It can't tell you how to personally manage her diabetes but confidence and understanding insulin and foods is key.
Reading things on here about the liver and its function and role in diabetes prompted me to study more in depth over time and it all helped with my anxiety and control of my daughters diabetes so far.
I hope this is helpful.
Sending you all hugs xxx

Reactions: 3 people