Honeymoon period over...

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hey,

Since yday thiink my honemoon period has ended- havent used Insulin for about 5 months now- so just thought would jump on here and get a bit of advice. My BS over night increased by nearly 2 points. Had steak for breakkie- got in- climbed stairs not lift and BS was under 7 so l was happy. At 11 my BS had shot up to 9. Just had 2 units of Novorapid and 2 units of Lantus. The worrying thing is lm not sure what its doing and what to do for it. Really dont want to overshoot with the Insulin, but really want to get it back under control as you feel so much more rubbish.
Thank you in advance. Jo

Iambackwards

Has anything in your life changed much recently, like are you exercising less or eating a lot of different foods?

I find that I can get the point where I'm not using insulin, or just tiny amounts but it varies on what I eat and how much I exercise. It might be that your honeymoon period is over and when I notice my sugar levels are going higher after taking no insulin I start with just basel insulin to see how it affects me.
Since you haven't been using any insulin at all, novarapid could be too much for you if your sugar levels aren't going really high. If you suddenly stopped producing insulin 100% you would have much higher levels, so it could just be that your natural production has/is slowing down. Using a small amount of insulin could also help "rest" your beta cells and you could find yourself going back to no insulin again.

TonyTruthful

Hi Jo,

We were dx at the same sorta time, and I came off the honeymoon period recently aswell. Such is life I think. Just need to up the Inso to compensate.

Best of Luck

Tony

LizzieP

Try not to worry, Claridge. When my honeymoon finished, I found I had far fewer hypos and actually started to work out exactly what I could and couldn't do. I think you will find things a bit more predictable now if your honeymoon is over.
Also, do you think it might be the weather? I always need a bit more insulin in the winter and a bit less during a heat wave. I'm sure you'll get back on track very soon. :)

jj.sam

Hi,

This may come as a silly question but can someone just clarify what you mean by the 'honeymoon' period. I'am recently diagonsed and over the last 2 weeks my inuslin use has dropped right down from around 3-4 units with most meals to around 1-2. I am eating all the right things and continue to exercise regular. Some days with work and my active life style i do not require any fast acting insulin as my bg is naturally balanced....is this right? It seems really weird to go from so much insulin to so little. In addition, over the same period i am getting what can only be described as 'dehydration headaches'. I am fully hydrated and drink at least 2 ltrs of juice during the day but for some reason my head is pounding!

Many thanks...

JJ

P.S - I have just found an excellent application on the iPhone for logging bg results etc.

jopar

Hi JJ

The 'honeymoon' period is when your pancreas is still producing some insulin, the length of this period veries between individuals it can last for weeks or even 6 months or so, during this time diaebtic generaly find there insulin needs are very small indeed... It can be difficult to pin point at what point the pancreas decides to completely go on strike, but in general you will experience a greater need for insulin to maintain control and control can be more difficult to maintain until you get used to your new insulin needs, and work out whats what, and when to make adjustments etc

jj.sam

Hey Jopar,

Thanks for the heads up. I think things are finally starting to level off and there is now some normality to injections and quantity etc.....Still getting some very cheeky headaches that i am certain are diabetes related.

Cheers JJ.

Clarky

I can't wait till my honeymoon period is over. It's way too unpredictable for an active lifesyle. Sometimes I can't take a small enough dose, when at work or at the gym. My numbers go high then crash big time, so maybe at times like these I need the extra carbs.... Who knows.

jameshallam

jj - what iphone app do you use?

I've been using Glucose Buddy and find it pretty good but always up for trying something new if it's better!

jj.sam

Hello James,

I'm using 'Diabetes Diary' v1.5.2 by a fella called Chris Bowley. Its so user friendly and easy to adapt it to your own medication and lifestyle. Fully recommend it.

I think the answer for a honeymoon period is to just make Nigella Lawsons Rocky Road Recipe and stuff myself silly! - Just kidding!

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thanks everyone. No change in diet- l did let up on the exercise a bit as too busy at work- but l wonder if it was because l was drinking a bit more. I have had a year of being extremely good- almost gave up drinking, exercising every day and very strict low carb- l feel l need a bit more normality back.... Finding it a little bit hard being off my honeymoon as l didnt need to worry at all before- now l am eating my meal then checking levels and injecting whatever is needed. I have just had a big handful of grapes as a snack from work kitchen and blood sugar shot up to nearly 15!!! It doesnt go above 10 generally. I know l should be more organised and inject before l eat but lm finding it so hard getting back into it. But l do feel awful if my BS is not between 4 and 7. Fortunately l didnt hypo during honeymoon and havent yet. I just feel l need to sort myself out a bit- get back into exercising and strict control- whilst still not being super organised and enjoying life :).

jj.sam

Hi Clardige,

Grapes can be very sneaky dending on how ripe they are. I have taken a new approach to work and dont let anything at work get in the way of my routine. I know this is easier said than done but for me it comes down to - whats more important? Work or my long term health. I always have a packed lunch in my bag so there is no excuse for missing lunch even if it is a little late some days. I find that injecting immediately before eating helps to balance your bs as this simulates what your body would naturally do for you.

I'm over my honeymoon period which was a little weird to say the least. I could have a 'top heavy' breakfast and not take any insulin and then about an hour later check my bs. It would be normal. I Went from 2 - 4 units of novarapid to nothing in only a few weeks. Now it has returned to normal and i am injecting regularly with similar dosages each time.

I have stayed well clear of alchocol since being diagnosed. I had a few sherberts on New Year and that was it. My drink at the moment is lager shandy with diet lemonade. This still allows me to be social all be it at the expense of being a 'shandy drinking southern poof'. My friends understand and are fully supportive.

Dont feel too down about your bs, just try and work on a more stable routine and hopefully your bs will fall into place. Generally under 10 is not too bad before bed but should aim to be about 6 when you wake up in the morning.

Cheers,

JJ 8)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
jameshallam said:
jj - what iphone app do you use?

I've been using Glucose Buddy and find it pretty good but always up for trying something new if it's better!
I just downloaded Glucose Buddy too. Seems to look okay, but will have a further play around with it.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thank you all! I am pleased to say lm back on top of it all with the odd high when treat myself to (almost daily) treats of cappuccino.. but with no sugar now :)
Im much happier being on top of it now! Work is mad but trying to up the exercise again- got a 10K run on Sunday woo hoo!