T2's Out of Interest How did your Diagnosis Come About?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, your on a role with a positive attitude and doing great. I know how hard it is to lose weight, I have been trying hard for more than a year now but have only managed to shift 7kg. juggling hypothyroidism and diabetes is not easy, I set myself realistic targets like moving from stage 2 obesity to stage 1 obesity (achieved today) and then too be fat. I find this a much better way rather than focusing on kgs. Reducing the BMI for me equates with getting healthier. Whatever your method is, it seems to be working and doing the trick, keep up the good work
Thanks for those kinds words.. much appreciated. Well done on your achievement too, every step you take towards your end goal will be helping you to control your condition. I'm following a very low carb diet with intermittent fasting. The weight loss has slowed a bit but my blood sugars are much more controlled and I think the dawn phenomenon is finally resolving itself (fingers crossed).

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Felt really tired for a couple of weeks went to see the Doc. Blood tests and 3 days later called in. Wham Bam Diabetes and off to get a meter and meet the eatwell plate. Diet controlled until a year later the Black Dog arrived. Spent best part of a year dealing with the depression but ignored the diabetes. Depression gone but HbA1c of 95 and metformin arrived last October. Late last year Dr Google found me the Newcastle diet and this site. That combination and some hard work have made 2016 a sensational year to date.

Reactions: 6 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the doctor with suspected UTI symptoms and they confirmed that for me. I was then told I was too young to be having UTI's at the age of 25. I was referred to an endocrinologist for investigation. I was then diagnosed with PCOS and type 2 diabetes the same day (although they called it mature onset diabetes when I was diagnosed).

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really interesting stuff everyone scary how many of us had no symptoms.
T2 diabetes is pretty much silent, until it is very advanced - one reason that doctors should be testing everyone's blood sugar as part of their annual physical. Even if a finger poke isn't best way to diagnose diabetes (given how much variation there is based on when you had your last meal), it costs virtually nothing and would at least catch people before they get vision impairment and neuropathy.

I would have said I had no symptoms, but in hindsight I had incredible fatigue and brain fog. I had attributed the fatigue and brain fog to my life (which is incredibly stressful and fatiguing), until it lifted when I got my blood sugar under control.

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Went to the GP with hip/leg pain. After hearing my general lifestyle (sedentary work life, overweight, stuck in cars travelling long distances, eating junk on the road and downing numerous sugary drinks), she said I needed a fasting blood test. I queried why would I need a blood test for a bad leg?, but she said ''we shall leave the leg on the back-burner for the moment''. Next I knew, 8.30 Monday morning, I was told to get to the surgery urgently. I was immediately put on Metformin, Ramapril and Simvastatin. Quite a shock !!! I am eternally grateful to the GP who clearly spotted the potential problem and caught me when she did. For your interest, the leg/hip problems continued for 9 years and after an x-ray (again !!) last week, turns out to be degenerative arthritis. However.....we shall overcome :)

Gina1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Initially went to docs looking like quasimodo as a result of bells palsy , he then noticed the fat spots on my eyelids , well doesnt take a rocket scientist to suggest high cholesterol , so I agreed to blood test on the Friday , told to call on the tuesday for results .. no need he called about 8.30 on the Monday morning , asking me to go in straight away , that really put willies up me , cos of the steroids i had for the bells palsy they were trying to be cautious but there was no getting away from it I had joined the T2 club , managed to get from 12.9% in Nov to 6.3% on 1st of March.. was initially started on gliclazide , then told a month later they might try insulin, told nurse she could stuff that , and hd metformin added to my mix , oh and to add insult to injury I had high blood pressure drugs for that too , so now i rattle . Gave up the fags , but vape for england , and am now the proud owner of a bicycle lol

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops sorry don't k ow what happened there !! I was diagnosed after a stroke and spending a week in hospital . This was the second stroke I had 2 weeks apart and after the first one was not diabetic and fasting blood hit 7.7 and was diagnosed then . Put straight on metformin and never been so ill with the "side effects" so now my records say allergic to metformin and doing very well on Galvus for the last 6 years .

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was limping badly for over a year with what was diagnosed as osteoarthritis in my hip. The doctor essentially said I just had to get on with it as I was too young for treatment (basically - you're too young to have quality of life). Fortunately in casual conversation with someone it was suggested that cutting bread from my diet may improve things. I did and within 48 hours my hip felt fine. I'd say I'm at about 95% with it now, can tell it's not perfect but if I behave dietary-wise it's fine. I'm currently running and cycling 5 or 6 times a week and have no issues.
I was told the same Ed......bit young for hip replacement. On the up-side, I have lost over a stone and a half in the last 3 months and am doing the LCHF diet with Omega 3 supplements and things are so much better. Clearly the fats and oils are lubricating the moving parts :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I almost went to the doctors in about November of last year as I kept falling asleep for no reason during the afternoons, and also had been noticing that the ends of my fingers were getting tingly. I had no idea what it could be of course and did actually put off visiting my GP as I felt I was making a fuss over nothing and doctors are busy with ill people!
Then on New Years Day 2016 I had to keep taking my reading glasses off to wipe them as they appeared to be foggy ... when suddenly I glanced at the laptop screen, with the glasses still being wiped in my hand, and was amazed to be able to see the screen perfectly clearly!!! Wow! how can that be? I thought to myself.
It lasted for about four days then returned to normal but it bothered me a lot. I had my annual eye check the following week so told him about my strange experience and he asked if I was diabetic ... to which I replied "Oh no, certainly not"
He referred me for a blood test at my GP's surgery 'to eliminate' this, and of course I then was told a week later that I had Typw 2 Diabetes. I am still in utter disbelief and confusion, but hope to learn from this forum how to cope!

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I recall feeling thirsty, but strangely felt that water couldn't quench it and started drinking fizzy drinks and orange juice which was totally out of character. Eyes and mouth were exceedingly dry especially first thing in the morning. Started losing weight and realised something was very wrong when playing badminton I couldn't determine the features of the faces of the opponents on the other side of the net - they were just a complete blur. Blood test was taken and doctor phoned later that day to ask how I felt as bg was over 33 - yikes!

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Felt really tired and thirsty all of the time. Ravenously hungry too but felt weak and i put it down to shift work etc. Went to gp for fertility hormones to be checked and then gp called me in urgently my hba1c was 79. Have lost nearly 3st now on LCHF diet yay! First hba1c results since diagnosis is on tues

T2CK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just interested to see how others received the diagnosis, did you go to the GP as you were feeling unwell? Did you receive your diagnosis by another means.

I was diagnosed T2 at the age of 43 when I took an employment medical. I was maybe 3-4 kg overweight at 78kg versus ideal 74kg. My GP looked at the urine test result and said "Have you put any sugar in this?" Yes - really! The reading was somewhere mid 20s. Fasting test next day was 15 and so straight onto a cocktail of pills incl Statins and blood pressure but no Metphormin. Cholesterol has never been a problem and aba1c generally OK in the last 15 years unless I stop exercising (by that I mean regularly walking the dog for half an hour). No problems (yet) with eye and nerve damage.

Looking back I had few minor symptoms including slight night thirsts and slightly more frequent trips to the toilet - especially during the night.

My biggest issue is dawn phenomenon where my fasting morning sugars are anywhere from 8-14 and I feel like rubbish. Can't "un-fog" my brain for at least an hour and sugar stays high for hours unless I eat. I can have a massive bowl of carbs (usually porridge and fruit) but my sugar will still fall a lot quicker than if I eat nothing.

Biggest danger is probably complacency as I am generally reasonably fit and people keep telling me "well you don't look like you are T2" - in other words I am not obese I guess.

Henwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was trekking abroad and had some blurred vision, itchy skin and some skin irritation which I initially thought was due to the heat. Got a friend to do a BS and the rest they say is history.

Maebe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My daughter had gestational diabetes and tested me for the fun of sticking a pin in me I guess. Straight to the doctors for tests and diagnosis.