Finger prick pain

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I've been doing my finger pricks for a while now but more recently I've been having pain in the tips of some of my fingers a while after doing them when writing or on my phone. They're quite tender.

Is this normal? Any suggestions of what I could do to ease or get rid of the pain?

Thanks xo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i try to rotate as much as possible and use the sides as well as the "fronts" of the pads.
I am currently testing 10-12 times a day.

It also helps to get the best tester you can find-- perhaps have a word with your DSN to see if she has any options on trying other brands of finger prick testers.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo Yeah I've been rotating and using my different fingers for each blood test I do. But yeah I'll speak to them and ask :) thanks!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@himtoo Yeah I've been rotating and using my different fingers for each blood test I do. But yeah I'll speak to them and ask :) thanks!
One thing I found really helpful when I started getting tender fingers during a period of intense testing was to only just have the lancing device touching my skin, rather than pressed onto it. That way I seems to get a decent sample, not tenderness and the toughening up I was beginning to see my n my "favourite" fingers (we all have them, don't we?) has gone.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing I found really helpful when I started getting tender fingers during a period of intense testing was to only just have the lancing device touching my skin, rather than pressed onto it. That way I seems to get a decent sample, not tenderness and the toughening up I was beginning to see my n my "favourite" fingers (we all have them, don't we?) has gone.

Thanks! I'll try that when I next do my finger pricks and see how it goes

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't so much get pain but some fingers just don't want to give up their blood? Especially on my right hand - while my left hand fingers it just pops out. Don't understand it

Reactions: 2 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try a different lancing device. The Accu-Check is nearly painless. I've only very rarely had any after-pain (and most of the time I don't feel it).

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with @Neohdiver. The Accu Chek Fastclix is almost painless. And @abi-tbh as a Type 1 you should be able to get a Accu Chek Mobile meter with the Fastclix free. Have a look at the Accu Chek website.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I've been doing my finger pricks for a while now but more recently I've been having pain in the tips of some of my fingers a while after doing them when writing or on my phone. They're quite tender.

Is this normal? Any suggestions of what I could do to ease or get rid of the pain?

Thanks xo
Don't use the finger tip pads, it's where there are more nerves. Use the edges of the first three fingers from the little finger; or, as an alternative, the front of the finger below the nail. I find little finger is best for this.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't use the finger tip pads, it's where there are more nerves. Use the edges of the first three fingers from the little finger; or, as an alternative, the front of the finger below the nail. I find little finger is best for this.

So use the sides of my fingers rather than the pads? Got it! I'll give that a go thank you

malowe200

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Thanks xo
Hi, most of the diabetics I know and including myself don't test the fingers. If you clench your hand in a fist the edge of the Palm by the little finger becomes engorged with blood. Test here, it's usually painless- less nerves. I have done comparison test with fingers and it's just as acurate given that no two fingers and no two hands are the same.

BaronJohns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Thanks xo

I've heard it takes about a week to fully heal, and if you gotta do 5-7 tests a day, then you'll need a lot of places to test!
Don't just use your finger tips, use your entire finger (all of the segments, not just the one at the end of the finger!). Use your forearms too! Most testers come with an extra attachment/lid thingy for the pen, to use on your arms and legs etc.

When my fingers get sore I just start testing on my forearms for 1-2 weeks, until my fingers have healed over. Hope this advice helps!

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard it takes about a week to fully heal, and if you gotta do 5-7 tests a day, then you'll need a lot of places to test!
Don't just use your finger tips, use your entire finger (all of the segments, not just the one at the end of the finger!). Use your forearms too! Most testers come with an extra attachment/lid thingy for the pen, to use on your arms and legs etc.

When my fingers get sore I just start testing on my forearms for 1-2 weeks, until my fingers have healed over. Hope this advice helps!

I didn't have an extra attachment but I mentioned it to my nurse when she can and saw me Monday and I got one delivered in the post today! So hopefully this solves my problem

Matty1980

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Thanks xo

Hello, I have a 3 year old daughter who we were having the same issue with... She literally used to cry every time it was time to test her sugars... We started using the Genteel poker and we can test all over her body. She doesn't even wake up when he test her levels 2x a night.... I'd give it a look, for sure. I think it would help you! :)

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just one other option- the Freestyle Libre? Scans readings instead of finger testing. I took the plunge and started using this just after Christmas. Gives a lot more information which is really useful. Costs are an issue though, so I alternate between buying a sensor then going back to finger testing. This gives my fingers chance to recover a bit.