Type 2 Help

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
liars, cheats and abusers
For the last 4 days my sugars have gone haywire and I am not sure what to do. Prior my waking reading was around 5 to 6 rising to worse levels during the day at around 8, now my morning is 12.5 to 13.8 and I am up and down like a yoyo peaking up around 21 to 23. My tummy feels like a washing machine. My diet has changed and meals are well balanced and I take metformin (1) in the morning and then in the evening. Even after taking my tabs my sugar continues to rise by 4 or 5 points and then starts to drop for a short while before steadily rising again. It is really starting to make me feel terrible and to the point of if I don't eat maybe it will stop spiking, but I am resisting that urge.
Any advice will be grateful; I am seeing DB nurse on Wednesday morning but thought I would see help here as well
Regards
Aberhonddu

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi there, have you changed the kind of food that you easy? Are you feeling well? No colds or coughs etc? Sometimes if we have an infection of some kind it can affect our BG levels. If your diet is the same as usual and you don't feel unwell, perhaps you should make an appointment with your GP / DN

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi 13liz
Not changed any foods, no infections; tummy feels like washing machine in overdrive; clammy and feeling unsteady at peak spikes. Have made appointment with DN but that is earliest Wednesday. Right at this moment (20.05) I am 18.6 and feel like ****
Thanks for your comments

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You do say your diet has changed .. And your meals are well balanced ... If your eating to the gov healthy eating guide .. Then this will increase your sugar levels ..quie a lot ... Could you give us a list of what you would be eating in a day ?

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Enclave
Breakfast is a small portion of cereal (shredded wheat/porridge without sugar and semi-skimmed milk; lunch is typically some homemade soup or salad + fruit, evening meal small meat potion or fish with 3-4 veg and small portion of new pot's or a salad sometimes a homemade risotto. All portions are average, I walk exercise for 30-40 minutes every day on top of normal house chores and gardening.

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you only just started metformin? As this can give you an upset stomach to start with? Also only 1 tablet? I'm guessing 500mg? That's quite a small dose. What kind of fruit are you eating after your evening meal? Personally I know if I eat bananas or oranges my body just screams at me for it lol

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi D
Thanks for your comments; I have been on Metformin (yes 500mg twice a day) for 3 yrs now. Fruit is sometimes a Banana (been told it is good) sometimes a pear or grapes (both types) Want grapefruit but told it is not good for me due to Statins I take (atorvastin)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave
Breakfast is a small portion of cereal (shredded wheat/porridge without sugar and semi-skimmed milk; lunch is typically some homemade soup or salad + fruit, evening meal small meat potion or fish with 3-4 veg and small portion of new pot's or a salad sometimes a homemade risotto. All portions are average, I walk exercise for 30-40 minutes every day on top of normal house chores and gardening.
your carb intake is on the high side ... could you not loose the carbs .. cereal is carbs, and when we eat carbs they turn to sugar Skimmed milk is full of sugar .. so full fat is better for you. Fruit .. well I am fine with berries but all other fruit sends my personal sugar levels skyward .. is your risotto made with cauliflower rice or real carb loaded rice ...!!
do have a look around the LCHF forums here and see if you can tweet your diet to bring those sugars down. I have around 20g of carbs a day .. and as I am vegetarian I get my fats from olive oil and coconut oil .. my cholesterol has reduced to the point that I have come off of Statins .. my blood sugars are stable and I lost 5st somewhere along the way ! I had my metformin stopped in the first three months as the LCHF way of eating has reduced my bs to a normal level

Reactions: 2 people

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Enclave
Thanks for the advice and comments which I will take on board and look into, surprised to see that Semi-skimmed is loaded with sugar so will look into an alternative as well as doctor has previously advised me not to drink FF milk
Thanks again
Mike

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mike a suggestion

You say you do walking everyday? What about if you done your walk after eating your high carb foods as that would help bring your BS down some?

I can't really offer to much advise as I'm a T1 so just shoot and eat lol.

Maybe an increase to 2000mg metformin a day may help too? That's the recommended dose at the moment I believe?

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave
Thanks for the advice and comments which I will take on board and look into, surprised to see that Semi-skimmed is loaded with sugar so will look into an alternative as well as doctor has previously advised me not to drink FF milk
Thanks again
Mike
Sadly the medical world is only just catching on to the Low Carb high fat way of eating ... I was told to eat more carbs and everything low fat .. it nearly killed me .. slowly ...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi D
Thanks for your comments; I have been on Metformin (yes 500mg twice a day) for 3 yrs now. Fruit is sometimes a Banana (been told it is good) sometimes a pear or grapes (both types) Want grapefruit but told it is not good for me due to Statins I take (atorvastin)

Bananas and grapes are NOT good. Too many sugars and that would skyrocket my BS

Research statins as well while you're at it

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Mike D
Thanks for that, I will strike those fruits off my shopping list which is a shame as they are my favs'.
Currently on 10mg Atorvastatin once a day. Woke at 6 BG 11.6; took meds had small porridge for b'fast, reading 3 hours later 16.8 and feel ******
Regards
Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Add porridge to the banned list :(

There might be other stuff going on but your diet needs to be assessed again. Running numbers like that ain't that flash. What do you drink ??

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mi Mike D; I drink a lot of water; Green tea and the occasional coffee/normal tea with SS milk
Porridge Oh no :(:(:(

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Aberhonddu

Sorry to see that you are not feeling great and your BG's are so hi. It is obviously the levels that are making you feel unwell as they are very high. It's great that you have booked in to see your nurse on Wednesday but might be better to catch up with your GP earlier if you can.

If I had your levels then I would be taking dramatic measures over the next couple of days to get them down from right now. I would drop all porridge and cereals, rice(including rissotto), pasta, bread biscuits sugar and fruit for the next couple of days and eat Protein (Fish, Cheese, Eggs, Meat etc.) and Vegetables/Salad ( root vegetables) for the next couple of days until you get to the Doctor. Also if you can take a little exercise after each meal it will help and drink plenty of water

I have seen this make quite an impact on my levels before, keep us informed
Cheers

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, may be one factor among a few ... but odd with your regime (exercise etc) that you're that high. The fasting level is maybe a liver dump but that increase needs to be explained away in some fashion.

No pasta, no toast, no below ground veg?

Mike

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read the carb content on everything you are currently eating .. add it up and reduce it down to 20g of carbs a day you should see a reduction in your bs level. Do also remember to dump all your low fat foods and replace them with the full fat ones and you should be fine :)
Edit to add ... your Dr or DBN will possibly want to just increase your medication ... its really up to you what you want to do. I went for the diet & feel 15 years younger now :)