Type 2 Life

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@12lizanne interesting indeed I wonder how many other LCHF's this has happened to.....My Husband has long been Joking that it is the builders tea that is bringing my levels down and we need to market it as a cure:)

Reactions: 6 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Nice work @amgrundy ,
at home and work, when working nights I have haddock / cod coated with ground almonds, it works really well and now I would never go back to breadcrumbs..... not that I would as Bread is the devil. I've often wondered about just battered fish from a chippie but never quite had courage......
Hi hankjam, I will try the coated almonds, I don't eat batter or breadcrumbs either. The fish was only lightly battered just scraped it off , tried it again on Friday and made no difference again to my BG reading. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried to cut out every high carb food I can think of (I desperately miss bread but never eat rice, pasta, cakes, pastry, etc), I only ever drink a moderate amount of whisky, I exercise more (perhaps still not enough) and my BS readings, when compared with what I see on here, seem alarmingly high.
How long have you been diagnosed as T2, what were your Levels at diagnosis and what are they now? It will take time to get them down even on a LCHF diet - many of us have been diabetic for some time and have been where you are now so don't give up!

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@David_A_Hughes my FBG used to be 17 and I did get them down to the 4's and now they are generally in the 6's. How long have you been cutting out the carbs for as it can take time for them to come down and I found when I went LCHF I actually overdid the lower carb veges as well, it all adds up unfortunately.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I have tried to cut out every high carb food I can think of (I desperately miss bread but never eat rice, pasta, cakes, pastry, etc), I only ever drink a moderate amount of whisky, I exercise more (perhaps still not enough) and my BS readings, when compared with what I see on here, seem alarmingly high.
Are you on any meds David? My levels rocket if I so much as look at a simple complex carb. I agree that it's depressing when you read all the low BG results but I have a feeling that lots of people who read the posts have much higher BG but don't want to admit to it. The threads can read like some kind of competition sometimes,unfortunately. It is bloomin hard work to keep the nos down Some days I think **** it and eat a sandwich for lunch then my levels are raised for days afterward. Don't think that you are different to everyone else David I would have a very large bet that there are loads of forum members in the same position as yourself.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
You ought to have heard my cries of delight when I discovered I could eat a few small potatoes, I can't eat them mashed, boiled, roasted etc but I did new potatoes in their skins in the microwave one day and they didn't spike my blood. Well, I let out this yelp! Now I have them about twice a week, any more and they do affect me but, oh the joy when I discovered I could eat them occasionally. We are all so different, once we get the basics in place it really is a case of trial and error. Good luck with your future experiments, you are doing really great so far x
Hi Gosh think those might be on my trial and error list next . :)

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
Hi @13lizanne
I've reread the "Ethos and Forum Rules" which I think may have changed slightly since I last read them. I still can't see anything that says there are different rules for the Type 2 Fasting thread.
I think that posting anything but your fasting levels is classed as going "off topic"
The rule:
If threads are going off-topic, posts may be edited and/or removed. Please try and keep threads on-topic. If you have additional questions, start a new thread - you can tag the user you want to talk to! Posts edited or deleted will be replaced with the text: 'Message edited/deleted by moderator'.
:);)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been diagnosed as T2, what were your Levels at diagnosis and what are they now? It will take time to get them down even on a LCHF diet - many of us have been diabetic for some time and have been where you are now so don't give up!
Nearly 10 years now. I can't remember what my readings were that long ago and I can't even remember what I was told my HbA1c was last time (I'm due another check soon). I've just discovered also that I need to give up coffee, annoyingly another pleasure denied me.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@David_A_Hughes - Hi. Do you test your blood sugar before going to bed? If you do, what was the reading.:) And when did you last eat in the evening?

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on any meds David? My levels rocket if I so much as look at a simple complex carb. I agree that it's depressing when you read all the low BG results but I have a feeling that lots of people who read the posts have much higher BG but don't want to admit to it. The threads can read like some kind of competition sometimes,unfortunately. It is bloomin hard work to keep the nos down Some days I think **** it and eat a sandwich for lunch then my levels are raised for days afterward. Don't think that you are different to everyone else David I would have a very large bet that there are loads of forum members in the same position as yourself.
Metformin (3 x 500 mg per day), Gliclazide (2 x 120 mg per day) pretty well without much change since day one of diagnosis (slight increase in the Gliclazide)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Hiitsme if you look at page 465 of the thread you'll maybe get an idea of the on topic chat that's allowed. I must admit to being a bit surprised myself :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@David_A_Hughes - I have days when I do eat sensibly and my blood sugars are good and within range. Then there are days (too many of late) when I just eat '****' and my blood sugars are lousy - and @13lizanne would agree with me - wouldn't you Anna?
I only began eating Supper around 11 - 11.30pm and it only consists of 2 crackerwheats, buttered and thick slices of cheese. When I eat befoe bed the next morning my fasting is great, when I don't eat supper then my fasting is much higher.
I am 'supposed' to test 8 times a day, but I don't - maybe 3 -4 times. But always first thing on a morning and last thing at night and maybe 2/3 times during the day.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Metformin (3 x 500 mg per day), Gliclazide (2 x 120 mg per day) pretty well without much change since day one of diagnosis (slight increase in the Gliclazide)
I think you might have to have a word with your DN or GP David Your meds don't seem to be working the way that you need them too

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@David_A_Hughes - I have days when I do eat sensibly and my blood sugars are good and within range. Then there are days (too many of late) when I just eat '****' and my blood sugars are lousy - and @13lizanne would agree with me - wouldn't you Anna?
Yes, you are a naughty fellow :) but then we ALL have days like that sometimes, I think David's problem is medical rather than an occasional bad day what do you think @ David_A_Hughes ?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bloods on Tuesday, review the following week. I think I'm preparing myself for a change anyway.

Who knows maybe it may be time for Insulin? Or adding in or changing your diabetic medication?

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
@12lizanne interesting indeed I wonder how many other LCHF's this has happened to.....My Husband has long been Joking that it is the builders tea that is bringing my levels down and we need to market it as a cure:)
Got me yorkshire builders tea for now as well

Reactions: 7 people

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you are a naughty fellow :) but then we ALL have days like that sometimes, I think David's problem is medical rather than an occasional bad day what do you think @ David_A_Hughes ?
I can honestly say that I try hard to reduce my carb intake. I compensate with high protein, eggs, fish, fat, fruit (apples and bananas mainly) and veg. Even the rye bread has gone. It's very nearly eating to live, rather than enjoying what I eat. However, if that's what it needs to be, so be it.