A diabetic christmas.

Lizzie7

Re: Porridge, sugar and brandy!

Unless you're low carbing a small bowl of porridge is ok.

You could try using the new Brown Splenda instead of sugar. There's also 'perfect sweet' - a xyilitol sweetener that I use for baking etc.

The brandy... well it's only one day of the year!

xx

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Lizzie, will go with the brown splenda, and risk the porridge, the brown splenda is a new one on me, and will look for the xyilitol, thank you!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I will have to stop reading this thread as its making me hungry :D

valattrevear said:
Why is there not a smilie provided that is sticking its tongue out?
Val
Not being rude Val but did you mean this sort of thing
tongue.gif

suellen

I have been T1 for 35 yrs and each christmas feel sorry for my self .. everyone looks forward to the festivities eating and drinking with wild abandon!! how I long to be able to over indulge in chocolate and xmas cake without paying for it for days afterwards! and yet I have survived without too much bad consequences., so perhaps this year I will look forward as well and enjoy when I eat something I normally wouldnt....what do you think?is it worth it? Hubby says forget diabetes for a few days enjoy yourself! they dont understand really do they? bless....... :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've already said that I shall have tiny portions of the carb foods. However, I'll save on the carbs by having loads of cream on my minuscule bit of christmas pud. I won't even have custard on the table. It will be a choice of Whipped cream ( real, not canned) and brandy butter, which I won't chose as I don't like it. I provide it for my 92 year old mother.
Hana

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although this is my first Christmas as a diabetic we have been having a "diabetic Christmas" for years as my parents stay every year and my dad is T2. ( bless him he has a double whammy as its also his birthday on Christmas day)

I will follow his lead and have a little bit of everything eg 1 potoato 1 parsnip loads of other veg, tiny amount of pud with fresh cream just like Hanna. My son is making me some mini mince pies with filo pastry which I think is rather sweet of him and don't intend to discourage him even if I decide not to eat one I won't tell him so. As both hubby and I were fine dining chefs in a past life we are pretty good at adapting or creating food to suit.

I don't have a sweet tooth so the thoughts of no chocolate or sweeties doesn't concern me too much - my big fall down has always been savoury stuff like bread, crisps, cheese n biscuits. But as I have been on the burgen bread and converted the whole family including my 14 yr old son the big white doorstep turkey sandwiches should not be a problem - if its not in the house I can't eat it can I? :wink:

I don't low carb but do keep my carbs at about 130grm a day and eat to my meter. As long as I can have my little planned treats I think I will be ok.

My one consession on Boxing day will be cold turkey loads of pickles with chips - my most favourite meal of christmas even more than Christmas lunch! - but this year they will be a small portion of low fat oven chips - am a bit sad about that one but hey ho :(

Of course there will be the obligatory glass of red just to keep the old liver busy so that may help
with the BS :D - but if I do have a rise in BS for just a couple of days I don't see much problem with that and I will have my lovely mum watching my every move :twisted: - which I will put up with because at least it takes the pressure of my poor old dad - haha

victry77

I do a lot of my own baking using ground almonds instead of flour. I also use splenda, but really not that much. I've actually cut down my splenda use significantly by just experiementing and found I don't need as much as I was originally using so that's been good.

I'm making a list of Christmas goodies that I will be baking and they are all low-carb but rather high in calories (I'm not actually wanting to lose weight but gain it. I'm 6lbs off my target weight).

So, I'm going to be making things like muffins with buttercream/choc topping; blueberry batter pudding, fruit crumble, strawberry slices, etc. I'm looking forward to it :D

cynthia

Thank you all, i have just read all your replies regarding Christmas :) and what to and not to eat, i have been newly diagnosed in october this year and i feel sooo much better now i know i can have a proper chrimbo without stressing... This site really does help when u just haven't got a clue.... thanks guys

FordPrefect

Well its christmas I am gonna enjoy it. I aint gonna eat the whole christmas cake or a kilo of chocolate or anything silly like that but I am gonna eat my normal dinner with dessert and a few glasses of wine, prolly a few chocs later on too. Maybe some more chocolate on boxing day then mainly behave until new year when again I will enjoy myself. I dont drink much and that wont change as I am dubious about drinking when on so many tablets anyways.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I will enjoy Christmas too.

I have been told by a friend that as I am low carbing it will probably benefit me to let my body think that the famine has ceased and that I may even lose some weight in the following week if I get back to it pronto! 8)

It may be (mince) pie in the sky – but I suppose if it is a low carb (mince) pie it may be ok anyway!! :lol:

The Governor

I intend to relax a little and medicate with wine as that helps enormously in keeping the BS down :D

I would however like to vary my alcohol intake a bit with some spirits, I tend to prefer vodka over whisky, but getting a bit bored of vodka nd diet coke, any tips?

I cautiously eyed up WKD and Vodka ICe, but I think the carb count on those is a bit high (would this be mitigated by the alcohol though?)

kukka

ive been too scared for the last 6 months since been diagnosed to touch any treats at all.ive had no sweets cake or choc or anything really.i dont like living like this but as im on the diet only im too scared if i eat anything sugary or sweet i will have my sugars rushing up to high and no way of bringing them down again

a lot of it is lack of advice from doc and nurse as i havent had it explained properly if i can treat myself or not :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kukka

Are you able to get excercise at a gym or whatever? Although I'm on tablets, when I go to the gym my BS goes down by several points which does give me some way to control any excess. I do use a meter when I'm not sure where my BS is; you can get them very cheaply from the manufacturer and I get sticks from lower cost web suppliers

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had a lovely christmas eating more or less the same food as everyone else, albeit I fed them (tghe family) diabetic foods I made at home, mince pies, christmas cake etc... no one really knew the difference and when telling my family that the cake they were eating was diabetic, made with wholewheat flour and no sugar, they couldn't believe it. I now know I can eat a little of what I like on the odd occasion and I don't suffer too much. However, the alcohol bit didn't work for me, it made me feel quite ill so once I didn't have any I was back to normal. Another little treat I had was 2 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate which was delicious. I found a nice bottle of non alcoholic wine that I drank so I didn't look the odd one out at family gatherings. :D

diales51

Dislikes
Not having any chocolate to eat.....
Hi All,

I don't know if any one is interested, but, i came across this web site email addy:

www.sugarfreemegastore.com

It ranges from sweets, choc's ceral bars, drinks, there is lot's of things in there to keep a Diabetic very happy, but, you must be careful as i am sure you know that " Sugar free" and Diabetic foods" have laxative in there, if you go to mad and have too many you will surly end up on the tiolet...lol....
I have not done this yet.... but.... it is early days yet!!!!

Luv Les, x. :wink: :wink:

Jim H

diales51 said:
Hi All,

I don't know if any one is interested, but, i came across this web site email addy:

www.sugarfreemegastore.com

It ranges from sweets, choc's ceral bars, drinks, there is lot's of things in there to keep a Diabetic very happy, but, you must be careful as i am sure you know that " Sugar free" and Diabetic foods" have laxative in there, if you go to mad and have too many you will surly end up on the tiolet...lol....

Be careful with Diabetic Chocolate, sweets and Jams. They make you loose weight....... on the toilet! :wink:

I have eaten a small (42g) chocolate bar from Boots and 3 hours I know about it! Has anyone tried the Thorntons Diabetic stuff?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Has anyone tried the Thorntons Diabetic stuff?

Yes !! Same effect. A different way to spend a Christmas day.
Watch out for the word polyols on diabetic products,synonymous with toilet !

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I was curious and bought a diabetic fudge bar from Thorntons :roll: Six hours later I have been to the loo about 4 times :oops: My stomach is making funny gurgling noises :oops:
Never again :cry: I also have a reading of 9.0 two hours after eating, which is high for me.

diales51

Dislikes
Not having any chocolate to eat.....
Hi All,
I am sorry to here that a couple of our Diabetic friends, enjoy the sugar free items toooooo much, if you take maybe a taste a little at a time, then every thing will be o.k......
I am sorry to here that happened to you though.....xx....
Hope you are feeling o.k. now.....
I know a little taste isn't much, but, it does allow you to still have some of the good things......
Take care,
Diales51.