Female Yeast infections.

Caroline NIK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi am Caroline am 24 and I have been living with type 1 diabetes since I was 12. One of the most difficult things I have ever had to manage is my yeast infections. No matter what I do it just cant stop coming back. This has caused me low confidence in my sexual life and I have been avoiding men because there is a stage I just can't cross no matter what. I lost self confidence and I need a more reliable solution for this issue :( .

Reactions: hanna10

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I get that from time to time too. The biggest problem is I tend to get the candida glabrata strain and not the common candida albican strain. Almost all OTC treatments are for albican and do not work on glabrata. The only treatment that kills glabrata is nilstat cream or boric acid pessaries. Perhaps this could be an issue for you? I had recurring infection only to find out in the end I was using the wrong treatments. I had a swab done which showed I had the rarer strain. Candida glabrata is only found in immune-compromised people apparently which includes diabetics. I hope you can get some relief.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I'm sure you know, candida lives on sugar, so if you are peeing out sugar it's ridiculously nightmarishly difficult to get rid of thrush.

Second what @Mep says about getting a swab done so you know what it is you are treating - different treatments target different strains.

Something that has, fingers crossed, been working for me is fluconazole - you will need to see a doctor for this as they recently changed the regulations and a pharmacist can't sell it over the counter to diabetics anymore. If your GP won't prescribe, ask for a referral to a gynaecologist. The only way I can keep it away is to take 150mg weekly as a prophylactic dose - you are really only supposed to do this for six months tho. & its contraindicated if you have liver issues - you need to keep a healthy liver as a diabetic so I now always ask for liver function test when I get my HBA1C done.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi am Caroline am 24 and I have been living with type 1 diabetes since I was 12. One of the most difficult things I have ever had to manage is my yeast infections. No matter what I do it just cant stop coming back. This has caused me low confidence in my sexual life and I have been avoiding men because there is a stage I just can't cross no matter what. I lost self confidence and I need a more reliable solution for this issue :( .
Hello, I've suffered with thrush ever since diagnosis which was about 8 years ago....I feel your pain seriously! However, it is definitely down to blood glucose control I didn't think it was but for about 6 years my hba1c was well into the 100's. I managed to get it down to 58 last year and the thrush disappeared.....until my mental health declined and my hba1c went back up to 83 and back came the thrush! No treatment would work for me really either....the hydrocortisone cream would work temporarily but would never solve the problem.....the only thing that did/does is my diabetes control. My hba1c is back down to 60 now and I'm not really having any problems!

Another thing that helps is wearing no undies or bottoms to bed as it let's you get some air down there....and it really does work! If I wear undies or bottoms to bed then guarantee the next day I'd have problems!

Good luck and sorry if that was TMI xx

Reactions: hanna10

Caroline NIK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will see my GP and ask for proper diagnosis on my case. I will also try sleeping with out under wears :) . I hope I can get rid of this. there should be a more permanent solution to this such as a type of virginal wipe for Diabetics after they pee... :I was thinking out loud.

Dark Horse

As well as good blood glucose control, it is important not to use soap on the vulval area as it neutralises the normal acid pH important for "friendly" bacteria to survive. If the "friendly" bacteria die off because the acidity is not right, it leaves the area free for yeasts to invade. It is best not to use any additives in the bath, to dry thoroughly afterwards and to wear cotton which allows moisture to evaporate easily as yeasts like moist conditions.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I will see my GP and ask for proper diagnosis on my case. I will also try sleeping with out under wears :) . I hope I can get rid of this. there should be a more permanent solution to this such as a type of virginal wipe for Diabetics after they pee... :I was thinking out loud.
Defo don't use any femine wipes....they set me off haha! They will probably do a swab....they did with me but it bloody hurt because I was that sore down there etc! It's horrible! See a nurse instead of a GP.

Maebe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As well as good blood glucose control, it is important not to use soap on the vulval area as it neutralises the normal acid pH important for "friendly" bacteria to survive. If the "friendly" bacteria die off because the acidity is not right, it leaves the area free for yeasts to invade. It is best not to use any additives in the bath, to dry thoroughly afterwards and to wear cotton which allows moisture to evaporate easily as yeasts like moist conditions.
Have also found the following useful - Cetraben cream used to wash the vulva (mix with a little water, wash, rinse and gently dry) is a real help, and use it neat to moisturise and protect afterwards.

Caroline NIK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have also found the following useful - Cetraben cream used to wash the vulva (mix with a little water, wash, rinse and gently dry) is a real help, and use it neat to moisturise and protect afterwards.
Can I get it without prescription?

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Ok, honesty time!

This was a huge problem for me. Like a constant problem. I would be taking one fluconazole after another until it would go away, only to return a few weeks later. I even remember getting them as a child, where the doctor would give me cream to use. I mean as early as 8 or 9 years old.

I started using a ph balanced wash. Specific for women. i can't just use water, it doesn't feel right. Especially when you have an infection. I wear cotton undies with a full back most of the time. There are cute ones out there, I promise. I do still wear thongs, especially for work or the gym, but the minute I come home, I change into full back cotton undies. The main thing, I think, is that I change my underwear 3 times a day. Before bed, before work, and then after work. I know it sounds excessive, but I truly believe it's the thing that's helped the most. My sugars are also the most controlled they've ever been, I think. So that definitely helps.

I rarely have one now, and for me rarely means maybe 3 times a year. Which is crazy to some people I've talked to, who have never had a single one.

Don't let it hurt your sexual confidence, because it's something that can be treated! But do remember not to have sex during an infection as you can pass it on to your partner, and males are carriers of the infection. They'll never have symptoms, but they'll keep passing it back to you, which is an absolute nightmare, until they get treated for it as well.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. I am unfortunately very well versed on this topic.

Emma_Santiago

You must keep your blood sugar controlled. That is the biggest factor. Its very common therefore in diabetics because they have issues with sugar. Also from a holistic point of view, folks will tell you to avoid refined flour, fruit and milk. However, that leaves out a main part of the diet so I personally don't eat like that.