Pump recommendations

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

My pump is now up for renewal and I would like to swap pump companies. I currently have the DANA pump, but don't want this again.

So I was wondering if anyone had a pump they would recommend and what the positives/negatives of their pump are.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you know which choice of pumps are going to be made available to you?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I'm going to ring the hospital to find out tomorrow.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok the pumps available to me are the following:

- Roche insight
- animas
- Medtronic minimed

Can anyone give me any pros / cons on these pumps ?

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I use the insight pump and so far not had any problems (apart from the slowish handset) with it unlike others on the forums. I have been using it since December the 7th last year. I think the best thing you can do is to have a look at them in clinic and see which you like best and which would fit your lifestyle best.

Good luck and hope you make the right choice :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Gaz-M for the information.

I will be looking at pumps in the clinic in a few weeks, but just wanted to know peoples experiences of using them too.

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the Medtronic 640g is good with the auto suspend if you have the sensors as I have 8+ suspend on low blood sugar per week and it restarts insulin when the sensor rises above a safe level, the alarms could do with a bit more work as the alarm on approaching your high setting goes off when the blood sugars heading up to your high setting and when heading down towards the high setting.

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no nhs funded due to frequent hypos and hospital admission's 6-8x 999 callouts calls cost more than a pump+ sensors per year. so use that sort of info to get funding and night time hypos is another reason for funding

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else have any experience / recommendations for the above pumps?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @patch13, I started on the animas vibe last month, partly because that is what my father in law had, but mainly because I was already self funding the dexcom CGM. I am over the moon with both and have no regrets with choice. I unfortunately have no experience with any others, so can't comment on whether I have made the best choice! I can tell you that the customer support and ordering from animas is excellent. HtH, P.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply paulliljeros. I'm glad you're enjoying the animas & it's great to know they have a good customer support line.

Do you use the same blood glucose meter as you did before starting on the animas pump?

Can you download info from the pump onto your computer? & if so is this quite easy to do?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I use the Accuchek Mobile, and love it. It is compact and keeps everything together. I only use it for calibrations now, but used to download the data as all the BG data is in a .csv file hidden in one of the folders which you can find once you connect it by USB. With regards to the dexcom data, I was using Dexcom Studio, which is simply outstanding, however am edging more towards the Diasend s/w, simply because it is shared with my clinic online and allows my DSN to review and feedback at will, and integrates the CGM, pump and carb data (assuming you use the azCarb/ezBG function for bolus, which I do). I am about to buy a fitbit also, as I believe you can upload that information into diasend and whilst I am possibly the worlds unfittest person, with a severe allergic reaction to exercise (shortness of breath, turn red and sweat profusely at the mere thought of it ... lol), I am an absolute sucker for technology and more so data!
I should also point out the ezCarb and ezBG functionality is absolutely amazing and I don't know if other pumps offer it, if not, I would personally say its a reason alone for getting the Vibe.

Lloyd49

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering as your self funding if I can ask you cost of this? My partner is type 1 diabetic and been using the pump for a year now. It has been amazing and brought his blood levels down incredibly however his hbl levels are still running high and it looks as though he won't receive funding anymore which is so frustrating.