Health anxiety

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone im a newbie type 2 diabetic and i also suffer from health aniexty. Im going to try and manage my diabetes with diet and excersize to try and stabalize my sugar levels. Im so scared now that i have this because when i read up about diabetes it states that people with the condition will suffer early death!...just want a little support on this subject as being diagonised at 47 seems young

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone im a newbie type 2 diabetic and i also suffer from health aniexty. Im going to try and manage my diabetes with diet and excersize to try and stabalize my sugar levels. Im so scared now that i have this because when i read up about diabetes it states that people with the condition will suffer early death!...just want a little support on this subject as being diagonised at 47 seems young
well there was a diabetic man on here in his 90s and he had had diabetes all of his life, and diabetes well youll soon master that, I walk into town now and get a bus back because maryport were I live is full of massive hills. my moto is your incharge of the diabetes not the other way round.

Reactions: 8 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
please do not worry, people with types live long lives

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @pinklady69 and welcome to the forum. You are here now and ready to take control to improve your health. I have read so many stories here of people who got diabetes, made a few lifestyle adjustments and are healthier than ever. If anything, receiving a diagnosis has added years to their lives :)

I will tag @daisy1 as she has a welcome pack for new members.

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My great aunt is 93 and diet exercise controlled type 2, my mom & dad are both type 2 in their 70s and my gran was in her 70s when she passed but that wasn't anything to do with her diabetes. I'm 46 so working on the theory that I have at least another 30 years left!

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@pinklady69 Here is an example. There was a member here who was diagnosed type 2. The doctor told him he was within 5 years of major organ failure. He started a low carb diet and took up running About a year later he completed the London marathon. Fit as a flea. Being diagnosed is not the end of the world. In many cases it is the start of a better one.

Reactions: 5 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@pinklady69 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum.:). My Grandmothe had Type 2 for 20 years and died aged 84. My Mother developed Type 2 (after having Radium Treatment) and she had Diabetes for 20 years, died aged 79. Neither of their deaths were to do with diabetes. And I am Type 2 aged 60 and it will be 16 years for me in April of having Diabetes.
A lot of forum members follow the LCHF diet (Low Carb High Fat) and have good success with losing weight and lowering their blood sugars. Just ask lots of questions if you are not sure. We are all helpful, supportive and friendly to each other.:)

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
Try not to worry.you will be fine.
Look round the forum and you will learn a lot.
Ask any questions and someone is always here to help.
You are not alone.

Reactions: 3 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@pinklady69

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members which will help you to look after yourself. You can live a long and active life. Keep looking after your levels. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
HI,

I also have anxiety around my health and had a HBA1C that was high end of normal recently and it's certainly worried me alot more. Anxiety is horrible.

I hope things run smoothly for you and people on here have reassured you.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sorry...I only just came across your post....:rolleyes:

I can only offer my reassurances...I'm 45, type 2...been diabetic about 23 years...and I don't plan to suffer with early death if I can help it! Nor I have had any complications that would suggest such a things happening in a hurry. Being newbie with diabetes is worrying, but you do get used to the idea and if you look after yourself....there is no reason not to feel otherwise normal and live perfectly normal life. In fact, many diabetics are downright far healthier than many non-diabetics...that's because we take care ourselves! Anybody who don't look after themselves, regardless their medical conditions or lack of them can be in danger of 'early death'! Diabetes on its own is not enough reason for such a scaremongering!
ETA; ....I just realized...I'm 46!(or so it says on my prescription order, one that just happen to court my eye)...that extra year came on very sneakily indeed..brain didn't register it! :rolleyes::D

Last edited by a moderator:

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. Im getting used to it now its was just a shock at first. Tell me ypu have had diabetes for a while now do you ever have a treat and what kind of things would you have if you went out for meals? Hope you dont mind me asking...thanks in advance.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your reply. Im getting used to it now its was just a shock at first. Tell me ypu have had diabetes for a while now do you ever have a treat and what kind of things would you have if you went out for meals? Hope you dont mind me asking...thanks in advance.
I'm glad to hear the worst feelings are over now.
I admit we don't often go out...nothing to do with diet or diabetes...but when we do, we tend to go for carvery type meals as I can pick and choose what to eat and there is wider choice 'stuff' to choose from as well. Beginning of the year we went for party in 'tex mex' type of place...and had some beany/meaty salad and left any 'carbs' on plate...portions were huge so no issue there for not having enough to eat in first place.
I tend not to eat deserts...they are just sugar and more sugar. Saying that....one place we have been..they do unsweetened selection of fruit..like a fruit salad which I've had in past with pouring cream....not too bad for 'the meter' and quite nice too..;)

ETA: now that you got me thinking of food.....I got urge for a nice steak with lots of herb butter melting on top served with side salad..:hungry:...and I don't tend to eat beef !:eek:(I feel sorry for those pretty cows) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @pinklady69 :) - I was diagnosed at the age of 25. People get diagnosed at any age these days. I can relate to the anxiety as I've had to deal with anxiety and depression from mainly dealing with my health conditions. I'm sure you will find lots of useful information on this forum.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I suffered with anxiety.
The thing is, that anxiety can be a symptom of fluctuating blood glucose levels.
Control is the key.
Once you start, you may get rid of some anxiety.
The first step is coming on here and posting.
The next step is take on board the great advice that has been offered.
After that, well, controlling your blood glucose levels and feeling better, which means having more confidence in what you do to do this.
It is about you, so if you feel nervous or anxious, then the only person that can change that is you.
So do have a look around, there is some great knowledgeable diabetics on here.
Ask away, the people on here will always help you.
Welcome to the forum.

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I suffered with anxiety.
The thing is, that anxiety can be a symptom of fluctuating blood glucose levels.
Control is the key.
Once you start, you may get rid of some anxiety.
The first step is coming on here and posting.
The next step is take on board the great advice that has been offered.
After that, well, controlling your blood glucose levels and feeling better, which means having more confidence in what you do to do this.
It is about you, so if you feel nervous or anxious, then the only person that can change that is you.
So do have a look around, there is some great knowledgeable diabetics on here.
Ask away, the people on here will always help you.
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the advice

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad to hear the worst feelings are over now.
I admit we don't often go out...nothing to do with diet or diabetes...but when we do, we tend to go for carvery type meals as I can pick and choose what to eat and there is wider choice 'stuff' to choose from as well. Beginning of the year we went for party in 'tex mex' type of place...and had some beany/meaty salad and left any 'carbs' on plate...portions were huge so no issue there for not having enough to eat in first place.
I tend not to eat deserts...they are just sugar and more sugar. Saying that....one place we have been..they do unsweetened selection of fruit..like a fruit salad which I've had in past with pouring cream....not too bad for 'the meter' and quite nice too..;)

ETA: now that you got me thinking of food.....I got urge for a nice steak with lots of herb butter melting on top served with side salad..:hungry:...and I don't tend to eat beef !:eek:(I feel sorry for those pretty cows) :rolleyes:
Ha ha hope you got your steak! I fancy that now...thanks for the advice its nice to know im not alone