Symptoms of nutrient deficiencies to watch out for?

ab.er.rant

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When going low-carb, what are some of the symptoms to pay attention to that signal that your body may be deficient on certain nutrients?

Losing minerals is what I keep reading about, but... how do you know you're losing minerals and not taking enough back in?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @ab.er.rant

I'm not personally aware of that issue but if you are really concerned about it take a supplement to boost them. Otherwise react if you start to fell unwell while being aware that you will have some discomfort when you first drop your carbs down

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I googled that question and came to the conclusion that I was probably magnesium deficient, I started taking magnesium citrate supplements 6 days ago and definitely feel better for it. Are you experiencing any symptoms or is your question just fuelled by curiosity?

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I googled that question and came to the conclusion that I was probably magnesium deficient, I started taking magnesium citrate supplements 6 days ago and definitely feel better for it. Are you experiencing any symptoms or is your question just fuelled by curiosity?
I was just reading about magnesium intake and need for it on Dr Mercola's website...you might find it interesting... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/11/magnesium-rich-foods.aspx

Other vitamins and their needs can be found there too...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of people complain about a range of symptoms, but unfortunately they are very individual.

I get cramps in the night (worse in hot weather, and if I up my salt intake they disappear)
and sometimes I wake up with a tiny patch of soreness (small area, large pain) on one tonsil. It will disappear within an hour of taking some potassium.

Basically, it just depends on you, and your body.

One way to check whether your symptoms are due to these deficiencies is to drink a a mug of broth (or Bovril, or a stock cube dissolved in water as a hot soup). If the symptoms disappear afterwards, then repeat the experiment a few times, :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I refer to the NHS Choices website for information on vitamins and minerals. It lists them all, gives details of which foods are best for providing them, how much we need a day, and other details.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/vitamins-minerals.aspx

Personally I take no supplements. My blood tests are normal and I feel well and energised. If I had some niggling aches, pains, or complaints of some sort then I would look these symptoms up, Then I might go to my GP to discuss it, and maybe ask for any relevant blood tests rather than embarking on self-diagnosed treatments. I would take them as a last resort, but I would monitor myself carefully. Too many supplements are as bad as too few natural vits and mins.

As an example,
Magnesium is found in a wide variety of foods, such as:

• green leafy vegetables – such as spinach
  • nuts
  • brown rice
  • bread (especially wholegrain)
  • fish
  • meat
  • dairy foods

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I refer to the NHS Choices website for information on vitamins and minerals. It lists them all, gives details of which foods are best for providing them, how much we need a day, and other details.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/vitamins-minerals.aspx

Personally I take no supplements. My blood tests are normal and I feel well and energised. If I had some niggling aches, pains, or complaints of some sort then I would look these symptoms up, Then I might go to my GP to discuss it, and maybe ask for any relevant blood tests rather than embarking on self-diagnosed treatments. I would take them as a last resort, but I would monitor myself carefully. Too many supplements are as bad as too few natural vits and mins.

As an example,

• nuts
  • brown rice
  • fish
  • meat
  • dairy foods
Ah...NHS 'track record' with nutritional information or interest our well being in first place (diet advice...):rolleyes:...yes, the basic info is there. But in past, I have tried many times have conversation or ask about possible need for particular vitamins/minerals/supplements. And health professionals have never shown interest to that direction and round about answers are always..'well it doesn't hurt neither'...never mind trying to get them to do any testing..:rolleyes: One doctor I talked about, she had never even heard of CoQ10...and that is something every statin user would benefit from!:rolleyes:
Not even diabetic doctors/nurses have ever mentioned possible needs for supplements...and yet when one start look upon relevant info, it is mentioned that those who are on certain medications would benefit with certain supplements.
The way our veg are grown, most of the time with man made fertilizers, little care is done to look after the soil, all the chemical sprays....I'm entirely convinced that our shop bought greens are not that nutritionally rich that they could/used to be. Soil erosion and robbing of nutrients with modern farming methods are well documented fact.
Not only that, many of us have wide variety foods we don't consume..for one reason or other...so that will limit the best possible intake of vitamins.
I do agree....'to many supplements are as bad as too few'...and that's why we all need to assess our needs carefully knowing the safety levels of supplementing.
Personally supplementing, particularly certain things at different times of my life/health has been beneficial..some has been huge help for PCOS issues....and no thanks for doctors, I was able to sort those issues out!
Knowledge is power!:happy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Finsky I'm sure supplementing is beneficial for some people. I wouldn't dream of advising anyone not to supplement any more than I would advise them to supplement. I simply explained what I do. As long as I feel well and energised, sleep well, have healthy skin, hair and nails and so on I will continue to believe I don't need supplements. I am med free by the way.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

• nuts
  • brown rice
  • fish
  • meat
  • dairy foods
Yep. And I eat all of those except for the rice/grains.

Some might think that if you're excluding grains you're going to get less magnesium, because you're excluding one of the sources, but the reality is that if you eat less of one thing then you are going to eat more of something else. So yeah I'm eating less grains but I'm eating more green leafy vegetables and more nuts/seeds, which is basically a result (of eating less grains).

I've looked into my diet and I have a hard time finding anything I'm likely to be missing out on. I'm lucky in the sense that I exclude very little. I figure that if I'm going to be eating low carbs and low (but not necessarily zero) grains, then I'm not going to place any other dietary restrictions on myself or arbitrarily exclude anything else. So pretty much everything else, if it's edible I'll have a go. :). I eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs, nuts and seeds, a large variety of low/medium carb vegies, berries, spices and some fruit.

Oh and BTW. Dark chocolate is another good source of magnesium. :D Really enjoying my nightly snack of a small handful of Brazil nuts with a bar of 85% dark chocolate. Thanks to whoever suggested that particular combo in a recent thread. :)

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Finsky I'm sure supplementing is beneficial for some people. I wouldn't dream of advising anyone not to supplement any more than I would advise them to supplement. I simply explained what I do. As long as I feel well and energised, sleep well, have healthy skin, hair and nails and so on I will continue to believe I don't need supplements. I am med free by the way.

Yeah, if you're eating a good diet you're unlikely to need "mega doses" of anything.

I often take one of the cheap supermarket brand "one a day" multivitamins as a kind of "insurance policy". These generally have a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals but not at particularly potent levels. These can cost out at as little 10 cents a day, and sure they probably do nothing in most cases, but on the off chance that you're not getting enough of something then they could help.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't generally worry about supplements if I am eating well. However, a friend said a cinnamon tablet helps lower blood glucose levels so I might think about that

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Sorry....I did come across bit too strongly...didn't mean to jump like that....should read people's replies in less hurry..:oops:
I'm already gearing up for 'the great battle' in hospital (that's Thursday) and it don't help that I'm also getting ready for 'monthly thing' as well...recipe for disaster and in need of anger management...maybe I should keep from posting for a week...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry....I did come across bit too strongly...didn't mean to jump like that....should read people's replies in less hurry..:oops:
I'm already gearing up for 'the great battle' I hospital (that's Thursday) and it don't help that I'm also getting ready for 'monthly thing' as well...recipe for disaster and in need of anger management...maybe I should keep from posting for a week...:rolleyes:

I also apologise. I was stressed out with a new PC that wouldn't do what I wanted it to!.Good luck on Thursday. :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more I'm learning about K2, the more convinced I am that the western diet is sadly deficient in it. Anyone taking statins would be wise to supplement with K2 as well as Co-Q10. It plays a huge role in mitochondrial health.