kazzers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
Amlodopin 1x5mg
2000mg Metformin , 1000 morning and evening

Hi Can I just ask if other people's BGl evels go up when they are ill ? Or stressed ??
I had managed to get mine pretty much under control by Low carb eating but in the past two and a half weeks , I have had a really bad virus, chesty cough and cold . I am panicking because I can't seem to get my BG's down below 7 !! I have had readings as high as 10 and 12 . I am worried , but mainly because there has been now sneaky food cheating involved . I am desperate NOT to go onto Glyclizide and my nurse is supporting me in this as long as my levels stay ok . This is NOT going to happen if I keep getting these readings . Any advice please ? Should I contact my nurse or ride it out . I have to say that it is stressing me out though .

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yep....illness and/or stress can show in your readings indeed. Sometimes even before you have proper cold symptoms! If you readings go up without any changes to your diet and you cannot explain the reason for it....you might be 'brewing' up cold or something...good thing to know..;)
Keep eating low carb way and the blood sugars should eventually respond and go down again when your body is up to it. Even if you were taking glyclizide...you would quite likely have to face the same issue...blood sugars go up when we are poorly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've found illness can make a big difference so wait until that fades. I wouldn't panic with readings of 10 or 12. Whilst not good for you I was regularly in the teens before insulin and seemed to have coped with that.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep....illness and/or stress can show in your readings indeed. Sometimes even before you have proper cold symptoms! If you readings go up without any changes to your diet and you cannot explain the reason for it....you might be 'brewing' up cold or something...good thing to know..;)
Keep eating low carb way and the blood sugars should eventually respond and go down again when your body is up to it. Even if you were taking glyclizide...you would quite likely have to face the same issue...blood sugars go up when we are poorly.
Thank you , that is really reassuring to know :) I'll keep on with the healthy eating too

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. I've found illness can make a big difference so wait until that fades. I wouldn't panic with readings of 10 or 12. Whilst not good for you I was regularly in the teens before insulin and seemed to have coped with that.
That makes me feel a lot less stressed about the readings too...............thank you :)