Should I be worried?

GDogg

Good evening all. I'm so sorry to bother you but I just wanted a little guidance and this looked like a great place to get it. So I signed up and this is my first post. If I'm in the wrong place then I apologise.

I am a 44 year old, fit, sporty man. About 8 weeks ago I started getting a few symptoms that are unfamiliar to me - weight loss, thirst, weeing loads and permanently ravenous! These symptoms seemed to fit in with some of those experienced in Diabetes.

So I bought an Accu-chek Aviva, just ran my first test and the results are 8mmol l.

I had a look online to see what this meant but it's really confusing. Some sites say this is very high, some say not to worry. The reason I bought the self test is so I didn't have to bother a doctor. Now I'm not sure if this is worth following up or not. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@GDogg - It might be a good idea to make an appointment to see your GP and possibly have a Blood test to determine if you have Diabetes, you may be asked to bring a urine sample too.:)

GDogg

@GDogg - It might be a good idea to make an appointment to see your GP and possibly have a Blood test to determine if you have Diabetes, you may be asked to bring a urine sample too.:)
Thanks Liam. The first available appointment at my GP is not for another 11 days! As I mentioned, I didn't go there in the first instance so as not to bother them if nothing was wrong. For me now, it;s about understanding what 8mmol l means and whether that warrants a GP visit. Thank you

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What were you up to before you got a reading of 8mmol - had you recently eaten, & if so what, or was it a fasting test?

This link sets out when a diagnosis might be made - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html - but clearly you need a doctor, not an Internet forum, for a diagnosis. You aren't bothering your doctor if you have concerns about your health, that's what they are there for.

If it was a random glucose test, not fasting, 8 is perhaps a tiny bit high, but one slightly elevated random glucose test is not diagnostic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. 8 mmol is at the limits of an acceptable meter reading 2 hours after a meal. If it doesn't go over 8.5mmol 2 hours after a meal on a few different occasions then you may be 'pre-diabetic' but that's all. It wouldn't be urgent to see the GP if you want a further view although this would either be an Hba1C blood test which is a good test or you might be told to try a good diet for 3 months before medication or even before the HBa1C. Read the forum for good diet advice and beware NHS diet advice as it can vary from good to really bad.

GDogg

Thank you for these replies, The test was 5 hours after I'd last eaten. You are of course right, there's only one sensible next step so I shall book a GP appointment. Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typically you would want to test your fasting glucose, eg shortly after waking up in the morning. > 6 mmol?

And you post meal glucose, 2 hours after meal. > 8 mmol?

These would give you some indication of your current insulin response and carbs handling capacity.

As a general guide, you may want to consider moderating your carbs intake to give your pancreas/liver some relief. Many of us find that to be an effective way to recovery.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sandra Curtis. You must see your Dr. And get his advice.If it's diabetes you have it needs getting the balance right.You must not think your Dr. Will think you are bothering him or her.Diabetes is a serious condition and you need to get on tracks to get your diet sorted. Take the advice of everyone here and please see your Dr.