Can somebody please explain my BG readings.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing since last August. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rise in the levels, not really moving during the morning and then still in the 6's a few hours after eating. For example BFG this morning was 6.6 ( higher than normal) breakfast, at 8.00 was two eggs, scrambled with a slice of ham, at 12.00 it was 6.3. Lunch was a babyleaf salad with 3 cherry tomatoes and a lean burger with a tablespoon of mayo. I didn't get a chance to test again in the afternoon. Dinner at 6.00 was two chicken thighs with mixed veg ( aubergines, courgettes, Peppers, red onion,) in a tomato sauce made with tinned tomatoes and tomato puree with 4 sprouts. Went to a dance class for an hour from 7.30-8.30 came back and watched TV with some water and got into bed at 10.30, tested 6.5! How? I have had onions before without problems and this seems to be happening all the time now. My Fitness Pal says 36g carbs. I am beginning to hate doing this when nothing improves. I have done low carb, 5:2, The 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet, exercise almost every day. What am I doing wrong? I feel like giving up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been low carbing since last August. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rise in the levels, not really moving during the morning and then still in the 6's a few hours after eating. For example BFG this morning was 6.6 ( higher than normal) breakfast, at 8.00 was two eggs, scrambled with a slice of ham, at 12.00 it was 6.3. Lunch was a babyleaf salad with 3 cherry tomatoes and a lean burger with a tablespoon of mayo. I didn't get a chance to test again in the afternoon. Dinner at 6.00 was two chicken thighs with mixed veg ( aubergines, courgettes,
Peppers, red onion,) in a tomato sauce made with tinned tomatoes and tomato puree with 4 sprouts. Went to a dance class for an hour from 7.30-8.30 came back and watched TV with some water and got into bed at 10.30, tested 6.5! How? I have had onions before without problems and this seems to be happening all the time now. My Fitness Pal says 36g carbs. I am beginning to hate doing this when nothing improves. I have done low carb, 5:2, The 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet, exercise almost every day. What am I doing wrong? I feel like giving up.
Have you recently started a new pak of test strips. Batches can vary by a mmol/L in reading. My meter has just jumped up by 1.3 mmol/L looking at the averages. You did not take a pre-meal reading, so it is not clear at what stage your blood sugars rose so it could be either meal. I have had problems with tinned tomatoes and tomato puree since some brands have added sugars.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This batch of test strips came at the beginning of the year, 10 boxes, and I do vaguely remember somebody mentioning that they had problems with that batch. I have felt that they are reading higher that the ones before Christmas.

I have always eaten tinned tomatoes and puree, never given me any problems before. No added sugars on the packets to my knowledge but will check.

I am going to give myself a break from testing, order some new test strips, get my weight down a little more ( even though I am quite happy where I am my body obviously isn't) Then after a mini break in Scotland and my birthday in early May will start again. I will continue to low carb and exercise regularly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I recently had a half non-sugar carb day and it brought me back into 4 and 5s.
Maybe scotland trip and birthday treat do the same for you?

Reactions: 2 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Fitness Pal says 36g carbs.
36 carbs would put me north of 10.0.

I am hoping to put my diabetes in remission - but if I don't succeed, my limit is about 20 in a meal if I want to keep my BG normal.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also found that around 25g is my personal carbs limit per meal - more will push me above 7.8.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have been low carbing since last August. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rise in the levels, not really moving during the morning and then still in the 6's a few hours after eating. For example BFG this morning was 6.6 ( higher than normal) breakfast, at 8.00 was two eggs, scrambled with a slice of ham, at 12.00 it was 6.3. Lunch was a babyleaf salad with 3 cherry tomatoes and a lean burger with a tablespoon of mayo. I didn't get a chance to test again in the afternoon. Dinner at 6.00 was two chicken thighs with mixed veg ( aubergines, courgettes, Peppers, red onion,) in a tomato sauce made with tinned tomatoes and tomato puree with 4 sprouts. Went to a dance class for an hour from 7.30-8.30 came back and watched TV with some water and got into bed at 10.30, tested 6.5! How? I have had onions before without problems and this seems to be happening all the time now. My Fitness Pal says 36g carbs. I am beginning to hate doing this when nothing improves. I have done low carb, 5:2, The 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet, exercise almost every day. What am I doing wrong? I feel like giving up.

Hi - by all means totally dismiss what I am saying..but..every single reading you refer to, while at the higher end, is within normal range and, if accurate as a daily average would give you an overall HbA1c result that was in the non-diabetic range. I know, of course, like me and many others, your levels would jump if you started upping your carbs, but..maybe it's just balancing out...regardless of exercise etc...your hitting 6s. Maybe more fluid...but...tbh...I don;t think I'd be too depressed if all my readings were under 7mmols and there were no apparent spikes...even if under 6 is more reassuring. that said, I wish you all the best in getting things lower and more convincing. its a total bummer having this..but you are doing really well! pat yourself on the back.

Reactions: 4 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @pleinster. I think I need a break from testing though, as I tend to wind myself up with it all really.

Reassuring that you feel this is high end of normal, as I often feel I should be in the 4's and 5's but maybe 6 is normal for me.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been doing LC for about 5 months now. For at least 4 months of that time i was stuck with a bgl average of between 7,2 and 7.4. I seemed to be stuck. Now I have reduced my carb intake by 20 g on a regular basis, and my average now is 6.4., and the trend analysis is showing that it is still moving downward. I think our bodies have a particular value for bgl that it feels comfortable with, and will tend to maintain. Shifting it from its comfort zone is the key.

This may explain the many postings detailing FBGL being higher than the rest of the days readings, and this is why doctors used to use it as the main measure of control.

Reactions: 2 people