VICTOZA users

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: VICTOZA

Humph stated.
The main problem is that liraglutide is only active for around 16 hours, not a full 24 hours.

So if you take it at 10.30pm the drug has worn off by 4.30pm, so you are probably getting little effect with your evening meal, which is usually our larger meal of the day.

I take my dose when I first get up.

Humph.
Whilst I agree you are probably better to take your dose in the morning, I am afraid what you have said is not correct....... :( Who was it that gave you that information ? It is totally at odds with the official information.

This is an extract from the official summary of product characteristics, lodged with the EMEA. The licencing authority.

Method of administration
Victoza is administered once daily at any time, independent of meals, and can be injected subcutaneously in the abdomen, in the thigh or in the upper arm. The injection site and timing can be changed without dose adjustment. However, it is preferable that Victoza is injected around the same time of the day, when the most convenient time of the day has been chosen.

Pharmacodynamic effects.
Liraglutide has 24-hour duration of action and improves glycaemic control by lowering fasting and
postprandial blood glucose in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Hope that clears things up for everybody. :D

humph

The info I have came from a paper on Novo nordisks website.

I will see if I can find it again and post it up.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

humph said:
The info I have came from a paper on Novo nordisks website.

I will see if I can find it again and post it up.

Cheers Humph.

It will be interesting to see that ? That document is the official information from Novo Nordisk which was submitted to the European Medicines Agency for approval of the drug. Therefore if they are saying one thing to the EMEA and another somewhere else that will be very interesting indeed ?
I shall e-mail them on Monday for clarification.

Victoza isn't licenced in the US because of concerns raised by the relevant agency and was only approved for use in the EU in July 2009 It is mainly being trialled here so far. Not yet in the BNF. All the information we have is very sketchy at present, but that's all we have to go on.
Keep us posted.

humph

Liraglutide is a once-daily GLP-1 derivative for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. GLP-1, in its natural form, is short-lived in the body (the half-life after subcutaneous injection is approximately one hour), so it is not very useful as a therapeutic agent. However, liraglutide has a half-life after subcutaneous injection of 11–15 hours, making it suitable for once-daily dosing.

This isn't the info I found before, but says the same thing. This is from a comparison between Byetta and Victoza. The original details I read were on there official site, but it doesn't appear to be there now.

The reduction is only the half life, so someone on 1.2mg after 11-15 hours will be at the equivalent to the 0.6mg dose. There will be an effect still after 24 hours but it will be diminished. This is probably why their submission stated 24 hours.

To me it would make sense to inject so that all meals fall in the initial half life to get the best effect from the drug.

For me Victoza is only a stepping stone onto Byetta LAR once it gets approval, being weekly, it will give even better control.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

The mean clearance following subcutaneous administration of a single dose liraglutide is approximately 1.2 l/h with an elimination half-life of approximately 13 hours.
Information again from the EMEA document submitted by Novo Nordisk for approval.

Hi Humph.

Half Life'
What this means is that if you are on the max dose of 1.8mg then at 13 hrs the remaining liraglutide is down to 0.9mg. After a further 13 hrs which takes you to 26 hrs it would then have dropped to 0.45mg.

However, by this time you should have injected a further 1.8mg which then gives you 2.25mg in your system. After a further 13 hrs that drops to 1.125mg, then after the next 13 hrs it drops to 0.56mg, which as you would have injected a further 1.8mg, you would now have 2.36mg in your system and so on ad infinitum........... :? So you always have some liraglutide in your system and it builds up over time. Enhancing the effect.

So if you inject in the morning as I think most people do then you would be sleeping whilst liraglutide would be at it's lowest strength. Now I give up.......off for a lie down.......... :arrow:

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hi again, thanks for the information above. I have successfully moved to taking the victoza in the morning. So from what you are saying above I should get a better coverage during the "eating hours". I am sleeping a bit better now and am about to start my third week today. So far...... at the end of week three my sugars are down from 9/10/11 to 5/6 and the odd 7. First thing in the morning it is early 6's. I have lost three kilos - although that was after two weeks and two days and havent weighed myself since. I no longer feel nauseous and feel quite perky!!My husband is calling me PG (perky girly) and at the age of 46 thats not bad! I am able to do the jab now without flinching and as I have never injected before this is also good news.

I had thought it was licensed already?? is that not the case. I wasn't told I was a guinea pig!! But as long as its safe I cannot deny I am delighted to be on it. Right I am off to clean the garage out and by the look of hubbies face I think he might need a dose of victoza himself!! lol

xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi PG......(aka clairyclutterbuck) :D

Sorry, that bit about the licence was from a much earlier post I had which was cut and pasted here. Should have checked and cleaned it up. It is now approved for use in the UK, in July 2009. The EU consider it is safe, the US still hasn't made any decision. However it is mainly being trialled here at present, so you are in effect a 'guinea pig.' There is no mention of Victoza (liraglutide) in the current latest edition of the BNF, the prescribing 'bible' for medical professionals.

As far as I am aware it is only being prescribed by Consultant's. If anyone has had it prescribed by a GP can you let us know. So, I have edited the post to reflect the newer data and updated our database. :D

Congratulations on the improvements and the weight loss, seems Victoza is very effective for you.

Sharon. C

Hi, I'm new to this chat site, but I was wondering if anyone is on the same dose of medication as me. My doctor hasn't come across anyone who is in my position, here goes.... I am on Novo Rapid (50mg) For breakfast , lunch & tea; Iam also taking Victosa 1.2mg but now lowered dose to 0.6(evening as morning makes me feel really sick), and Long Lanctus Solostar( 72mg). So I am injecting 5 times a day high dosages with 3 different injections. These are not working for me again, as I have tried every medication on the shelf, if there is anyone out there who is on the same as me plrease reply. I have been feeling ill for 18 months now. I'm 39 years old. thankyou

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Sharon. C said:
Hi, I'm new to this chat site, but I was wondering if anyone is on the same dose of medication as me. My doctor hasn't come across anyone who is in my position, here goes.... I am on Novo Rapid (50mg) For breakfast , lunch & tea; Iam also taking Victosa 1.2mg but now lowered dose to 0.6(evening as morning makes me feel really sick), and Long Lanctus Solostar( 72mg). So I am injecting 5 times a day high dosages with 3 different injections. These are not working for me again, as I have tried every medication on the shelf, if there is anyone out there who is on the same as me plrease reply. I have been feeling ill for 18 months now. I'm 39 years old. thankyou

Not surprised your GP hasn't come across anybody on the same meds as you......have you read this from the official Patient Information leaflet on Victoza ? It hasn't been tested on humans who also use Insulin.

Using other medicines
Please tell your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other
medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
In particular, tell your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you are using medicines for diabetes containing
any of the following active substances:
• insulin. Victoza is not recommended if you are using insulin.

Maybe you should discuss your medication again.....?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

This is the new area for all things relating to Victoza. (Liraglutide)

derrick013

i was on that victoza and it did work but i had to come if it
it was making me very ill and i wasn't eating at all hardly, very sick with it for about 2 months use
it also worried me about the thyroid cancer issue's with it

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I started on Victoza on the 15th Sept whilst taking Insulin 5 times a day, without more than slight nausia. I now Have 1 main meal a day and a snack at a later tine. I attend the gym 2/3 times a week when I can. I have now stopped the Insulins and have lost just over 4 stone in weight. I'm wearing clothes that I have not worn for a number of years and feel far better than I have for years. :D :D

SarkySquid

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Sarcoidosis

Been on Victoza for a month now (with metformin and Gliclazide)...........Blood sugar dropped from average of 14'ish to average of 8 'ish, sometimes better than that. Lost nearly half a stone already.....though that may be partly due to D&V as side effects!!!!
have to be careful of Hypo's though as I am also taking Prednisolone (Steroids) for my Sarcoidosis, so I have to manage a balancing act with my sugar levels.....timing what I take and eat carefully.
Looking good so far.......(Hopefully the Nausesa/Sickness effects will wear off over time)

tanya63

Hi just wanted to add to the victoza notes, ive been on it for a month now, and have had all the side affects mentioned, and they are not nice at all, also add depression to the list, but that might be unrelated though it started when i had to increase the dose to 1.2mls, all in all though, its easier than having to remember to take double doses of metaformin and the feeling of being full sooner means that meals have reduced a lot and so hopefully going to lose weight :) the worst bit ive experienced are the stomach cramps, hoping that these symptons clear soon, if anybody has similar experiences it would be great to hear from you, Tanya diagnosed 2 years, type 2

mortisha

Hi this is my first time to this site. I have beeb diabetic for about 4 years. Had trouble getting my blood sugar levels down for 12 months now. It has been between 14 - 20. I applied for a gastric band as i am desperate to lose weight. I am taking Metformin and Gliclazide which also make me put weight on. I was advised to try Voctoza to see if that would help me. I started taking it 5 weeks ago. I got the sickness and stomach cramps, which have eased now, not so bad. Get really bad headaches which I hope will ease soon, but the worst part is the constipation. I am taking Senacot, but does not work. Getting concerned now as do not know what else to take.

Good part is my blood sugar levels had come down between 6 - 8, which is a miracle for me. My appetite has also dropped so weight dropping off me, brilliant.
Also forgot to mention I had really bad blurred vision for the first 4 weeks, could not drive the car. The consultant said it would improve when my eyes returned to normal vision, and he was correct, vision fine again. If things carry on improving like this, will not need the gastric band, but can somebody please help with the constipation !!!!!!!!!!!!

sharmam

Hello Everybody - really excited as I am going on Victoza on 20/1/10 - I just wanted to ask if anyone had experianced fuzzy head and memory problems with byetta of which I have been on for a year and 3 months - still felt sick on 10 especially in the evening and lost my motivation with lots of tiredness, anyway my consultant has recommended Victoza and I am hoping this will be better for me - any advise on Victoza would be appreciated.

Good Luck to everyonew with TYPE 2 Diabetes. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes

sharmam said:
Hello Everybody - really excited as I am going on Victoza on 20/1/10 - I just wanted to ask if anyone had experianced fuzzy head and memory problems with byetta of which I have been on for a year and 3 months - still felt sick on 10 especially in the evening and lost my motivation with lots of tiredness, anyway my consultant has recommended Victoza and I am hoping this will be better for me - any advise on Victoza would be appreciated.

Good Luck to everyonew with TYPE 2 Diabetes. :D

Congratulations. I hope you get on well with the Victoza. This is a fairly new topic here and the information is all here that we have at the moment. If there are any specific things you want to know about Victoza, please ask. We will do our best to answer them. :)

cherrypie

Have been on Byetta for two years anddue to chaotic lifestyle fin it difficult to anticipate meal times and also very sensitive to the injections . Consultant is going to see if we can switch to Victoza.

What are the differences between the two meds? apart from non meal dependent.?
What have those of you who switched noticed as in side effects. Byetta still makes me feel sick but did lose 4 stone initially -weight levelled out but have developed diahorrea (which it can apparently cause.

Did you find that weight loss was reinstigated with the change over.

Thanks

Cherry

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi mortisha i too suffered with constipation when starting victoza i tried over counter remedies to no relief went to gp he prescribed movacol sachets soluble they do the trick for me its worth a try good luck :D

bobmatharu

My first time too, just had to share this.

I have been diabetic for nearly 10 years, bobbling around the 7 - 10's in the morning depending on if I had dessert last night. Weight was 130 kgs and 40" waist.

Also considered gastric bypass, but doctor said try this Victoza first.

I did not get any sickness, stomach cramps, blurred vision at all. The only side effect I got was not being regular as i was normally.

I was on 2 x 850mg Metformin twice a day and 2 x 20mg Glicazide twice a day, about the maximum you can be on before they put you on the dreaded syringe.

After starting the Victoza, my weight started to drop, my sugars are 3.5 to 4 in the morning.

Absolutely brilliant !!

The upside: 130 kgs down to 110 kgs
The downside: non yet