8 week blood sugar diet

Sonnyp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi I've recently been diagnosed prediabetes with a count of 45, has anyone tried the 8 week blood sugar diet for prediabetes and if so, did it help, also i have high cholesterol. I was told to lose weight, I need to lose about 2 stone. Thanks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have a search through the forum as I'm sure there are several people who're trying this - there have certainly been plenty of posts about it!

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this site about 2 months ago. Although I've not done a carbs crash the way some have, I've stopped the heavy's completely bread, rice, pasta, cereal, root vegs and been careful with fruit. I too have high blood pressure, cholesterol and I'm about 5 stone over weight. I lost 5 kg in approx. 2 weeks and have stuck there - probably because I forgot about caloriess and bought a few protein rolls from Lidls. Huge calories in cheese, cream and nuts. I think I've got my head round it now, chicken, egg, fish & veg - though I do love avocado on a toasted Lidl roll - now my Sunday breakfast. I carry boiled eggs, 1oz of cheese and 10 nuts with me and graze through out the day - 1kg off this week! Not due back at the doc until the end of May so fingers crossed.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Hi, yeah, I've had type 2 for a number of years and just reached the max effectiveness of Metformin (1500mg), so I thought I'd start taking more responsibility myself rather than relying on the tablets. My wife just wanted to lose weight. We started on it 8 weeks ago, for the first 2-3 weeks stuck to it, it was OK, but then we stopped being so strict with the calorie count aspect and just stuck to the (almost) carb-free part. We're still losing about 1kg per week and feel really great. We've been out for meals and found you can have quite a wide choice without carbs. We've treated ourself to toast and jam as long as we followed it by a couple of hours cycling. I haven't had a blood glucose test since we started, or cholesterol test, but my blood pressure is right down - 110/72 today- if it drops any lower, I'm going to have to quit my blood pressure meds (I'm planning to go to the doctor first).

I must say we both think it's the best diet we've ever done - we're planning to keep this up for ever, and it doesn't feel like it'll be hardship - after all you're still eating all the tasty parts of the meal, and just not having the boring bits - the pasta, rice, bread, potatoes. The only 'hard' part is coming up with cheap ways to bulk out the meals with veg where you'd normally have the rice/pasta etc - stir-fries are easy - you can just have more veg, beansprouts instead of noodles - a spiraliser for making courgetti spaghetti is great. We're still able to have treats, we're just paying for them with 20 miles of cycling. One warning - we had a "weekend off" at Easter and had some carbs and put back on a whole Kilo each.

We've found some fantastic new favourite meals - Avocado and Poached Eggs for breakfast or full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and seeds.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I've recently been diagnosed prediabetes with a count of 45, has anyone tried the 8 week blood sugar diet for prediabetes and if so, did it help, also i have high cholesterol. I was told to lose weight, I need to lose about 2 stone. Thanks.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-uk-newcastle-diet-from-texas-progress-thread.90455/

This guy did the bloodsugar diet thing, and chronciled his progress for the whole 8 weeks. Look how he wrote up his sugars for each day and how they improved. Read everything on the thread on you will see how he improves day by day during the diet.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-calorie-diets.24/

This is a forum for people doing the newcastle diet and bloodsugar diet. Good luck with your embarking on this quest, may your journey be blessed!

Lost_at_sea.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm currently on week 6 of this diet. Been type 2 for 5 years on metformin 2000mg daily. When I started the diet my FBS was in the 11 and 12s. After a couple of weeks they fell to the 7s and today's was 5.6. The added bonus is that I've lost 16lbs as well, although am still 12.5 stones. Admittedly I struggled with hunger for the first 3 days but am now used to the fewer cals and don't often have hunger pangs. I'm due my yearly hba1c check in June so will see what the Dr says about it all, hopefully I can reverse it!!!

Reactions: 6 people

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I look through a thread where HbA1c is mentioned I get more confused about proportions (of sugar?).
For instance
Robbity: HbA1c 60-61 (Nov 2013)
HbA1c 47 (Feb 2014)
is at present meaningless, apart from decreasing values, so I cannot equate to the values I know for myself.

Six months ago I had an HbA1c reading of 6.2% which three months ago went up to 6.8%.
So I went on a lower carbs/sugar diet but not yet strict and last week HbA1c at 6.3%.
Doc says this is hopeful so now into 2nd week of <100g carbs/day, settling in to new recipes.

How do the readings Robbity quoted relate to the readings I have had? :confused:

Now. Calories vs. carbs. A mention above about reduced carbs only dump a certain amount of weight and then is necessary to reduce calories. This is true or is it down to individual metabolism?

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi there, sugarpossum, try this converter http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.htmll for comparing hbac1 in new and old money.

Re calories/carbs, the theory is you shouldn't have to count calories if you go low carb enough and adapt to using fat as you energy source to lose weight.

Www.dietdoctor.com is a good source of advice/recipes etc on low carb, high fat.

I am day 3 of the blood sugar diet and have yet to achieve less than 1000 calories a day, but I'm working on it!

Hammo15

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes I was diagnosed with a count of 49 and in the 8 weeks on the blood sugar diet I dropped to 42. Cutting out carbs entirely but not sticking religiously to the 800 cals per day. Felt so much better Will do another 8 weeks when I get back from this lovely week in Cornwall, have deviated from the no carbs only very slightly this week.

nodroj

Hi i am also prediabetic i have been following the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosely. Its not easy but worth it, i lost a stone in 3 weeks and am disabled and unable to excercise. Its not really about the weight but its a bonus.. the point is to get the fat from your liver and pancreas.. so that your insulin is working properly. Good luck

cloudreader

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@EdMac you are having only 2 shakes (about 400 kcal) per day? With the Newcastle Diet you are supposed to have 3...

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, volorg. Your hyperlink has a typo: htmll .. works fine without the final 'L' :)
The fact that there are four ways to define blood sugar level need some logic to explain!
OK, I know HbA1C is long term so I guess the other two are 'immediates'. I'll search.

AnnKelcey

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this site about 2 months ago. Although I've not done a carbs crash the way some have, I've stopped the heavy's completely bread, rice, pasta, cereal, root vegs and been careful with fruit. I too have high blood pressure, cholesterol and I'm about 5 stone over weight. I lost 5 kg in approx. 2 weeks and have stuck there - probably because I forgot about caloriess and bought a few protein rolls from Lidls. Huge calories in cheese, cream and nuts. I think I've got my head round it now, chicken, egg, fish & veg - though I do love avocado on a toasted Lidl roll - now my Sunday breakfast. I carry boiled eggs, 1oz of cheese and 10 nuts with me and graze through out the day - 1kg off this week! Not due back at the doc until the end of May so fingers crossed.
Well done for losing 1kg this week - that's 2lbs, = a bag of sugar! slowly, steadily seems much more sensible than losing a lot quickly. I'm pre-diabetic too & still struggling with judging how much fat is good, after years of believing that fat=bad!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes 2 shakes but the veg does bring the calories up to 800 as I have some with each shake. (and I'm jogging 5km every other day with no issues). The 800 Cal Blood Sugar version of the diet by Michael Moseley advocates use of shakes or real food (and presumably a mix which is what I'm doing).

At the weekend I was walking across a car park carrying a 14kg bag of dog food and I realised it was less weight than I've lost this year. Incredible the amount of fat we can carry around without really consciously noticing.

I lost around 5 stone, I started with an intensive diet, and then maintained the new eating habit.
It's like giving up carrying around someone on your back.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you have any plateau points where you lost no weight for a short while?

I didn't really record it, and it was a while ago, but yes, definitely periods when nothing happened, periods where weight increased slightly, holidays, days out, weddings, so fluctuations were normal.

A lot of weight is water, so initial decreases are mainly glucose stored in water being utilised, they are also the first to return for me, but I also exercised, and built muscle up which increased weight, again as I lost fat.

John_boy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coronation St
Emmerdale.
Hi Guys.
How quickly does Type 2 progress. I was diagnosed in January 16 HbA1c 50. on low carb diet. lost 3st in 3 months.

BlooTwo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm new here. :)
I am on week 2 of this diet, and I feel it is going pretty well.
I am Prediabetic, late 50's and female. I had HBA1C & OGTT etc. done a couple of years ago, and was told it was at the 'upper edge of normal', I also have hypertension. My Cholesterol was OK at the time, although I have not had any recent tests.
GP basically told me to lose weight and take more exercise, and invited me back to the nurse for a health check 12 months later - being in denial at the time, of course I didn't go back! I have a very strong FH of Diabetes, both T1 &T2, so I am keen not to develop it myself. I'm not on any medication.
I bought the '8 week Blood Sugar Diet' book for my Kindle and read it, and also The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung.
I've done LCarb diets before and have always been successful in losing weight that way, the problem has always been regaining the weight, plus I am as lazy as can be! I am currently about 5 stones overweight.
I bought myself a pedometer and have been doing the 10,000 steps a day. At the moment I test my blood twice a day, at different times, to get a good indication of what's happening.
My starting BS results were high 5's and 6's. This week I'm down to 4's and low 5's, so I can see it's working.
When things stabilise, I will cut down my blood testing to weekly.
I've lost 4kgs, the first 3 came off in a few days, I believe it was mostly water, but it gave me a huge boost and helped me to stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this is where I am at now. I've set a weight loss goal, I'm on 800 cals and reached a bit of a plateau. But I've stepped up the intensity of my exercise so there must be some impact there. In total I'm 35lbs lighter than when I started so obviously things slow down, It's just deciding whether to stick with a low cal fast or just move onto fasting with low carbs and exercise. I'll do that eventually it's just when. Because the other issue is not wanting to remain on very low cals for so long my metabolism shifts.

Have you had experience of your own metabolism slowing down?
I never had any problem.

The dietdoctor completely debunks the starvation mode here, it's interesting reading,

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-myths-part-5/

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys.
How quickly does Type 2 progress. I was diagnosed in January 16 HbA1c 50. on low carb diet. lost 3st in 3 months.

That depends on you to the largest degree.

Low carb seems to keep blood glucose in the normal range mostly, some posters on here have been low carbing for years.
I went down the alternative route of trying to reverse my diabetes by a very low calorie diet, with good success, so it could be worth starting a new thread in the low carb section, you may get a more accurate answer from others who have took the same route as you.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't say that I have and I did read it was nonsense, guess I'm just getting paranoid as I've hit a plateau (well nearly a week with no weight loss on a calorie defecit of 1600 a day). Also I definitely feel much more energetic without high carb content diet and having lost over 2.5 stone in weight.
Funny thing is I can see where fat has gone from my body even in just the last week, because there's not that much left now. But the scales don't move. I guess I'm expecting them to be too precise.

Scales are useful, but so is a mirror.
If you are losing fat, that is good.
If you are feeling more energetic, your metabolism isn't slowing down, in fact you are probably laying on more muscle.
So you won't lose weight at that stage, as you are converting fat to muscle.
So weight loss can stall, as your body is changing the way it is working.
Are you drinking a lot of water, as you may be re-hydrating, and seeing a weight gain that way?